BC Boards

Tommy Wilson on Letterman - YouTube

Someone sent this to me. I'd never actually seen this, though of course it's legendary. :rolleyes: It's Roy, Molly, and I forget who they said the other dog was. They appear at around 3:30 and again at around 6:00 (approximate). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fa3aG_BfpqE

That was really cool to see!

What I love most is how quickly his dogs go from "totally work" mode to "totally casual" mode

I don't know much about working Sheepies but I thought the same thing. :rolleyes:

That is the wonder of BCs. From super intense work mode to ha ha, not a care in the world in a nano second!

Wow! Getting all those sheep in the cab! Amazing! I wonder how many NY moms with 3 or more younguns, thought now that's what I need! A BC to keep the kids in line! LOL

Wow. That was honestly incredible--I've never seen anything like that! Until, of course, I watched it three more times, and then still couldn't get over what I was seeing. Everyone (dogs, handler, and sheep) was so calm, cool, and collected, and the dogs were working so quietly and smoothly that it almost seemed as if the sheep were moving along into an *elevator* and a *taxi* of their own accord...it was really awesome to watch the dogs clearly giving and taking away pressure in such a carefully balanced way. All those lights, cameras, people, applause, cars--and the only thing those dogs cared about is where their handler was telling them to put the sheep. I've seen YouTube videos of super-long and super-wide BC outruns and such, but it is so hard for a novice like me to understand what I am looking at in a field when the action is so far away without a play-by-play narrative....but in this video, NOW I can see exactly what is happening: first of all, the dogs seem to know what to do all by themselves (like when one ewe tried to refuse to get in the taxi and a dog went to block it without being told), but with the guidance of a handler, I could see how individual dogs were responding at different times to their individual whistles, but nonetheless continued working as a team (particularly in the elevator scenario, when the dogs took turns advancing the sheep on different sides). NOW I am finally starting to get what you guys mean when you refer to TRUE, natural working ability in Border Collies, and why it is so important to preserve this working ability for future generations above all else. I'm so sorry that I really have nothing of merit to add to this discussion, but I just had to express my amazement in public....once again, I will mindlessly drone, "WOW."