BC Boards

Lurker Turned Poster

Hey folks, Been lurking around here for awhile now, just trying to get the feel of things. Looks like the place to be for a little fun and friendship, Im in! Darci

post-7917-1191177611_thumb.jpg

Thanks All, His name is not very original, its Blue, spelled Blew just to make it different. ( he has a blue eye on the wht side) That pic was taken when he was about 4 months old. He is now 6 months, and ears are standing up nicely. Yes, I think he may be a good one too, as he has already shown me that he has a strong willingness to please, is bright and catches on fast, has a great amount of interest in stock, and is keen to get to work. Right now I am just getting a stop on him off sheep, but his mom was an early starter, and I suppose he will follow in her paw prints.

post-7917-1191182330_thumb.jpg

Where in NC are ya? Accually, I have 6 BC. Blew is 6 months, Roy is 7 months, Gem is 7 months also, (He and Roy are bro's) and then Chris, Blews mom she is 3 yrs, and Lexy and she is 8yrs (Roy and Gem's mom) Full house, especially if ya throw in the GSD and the Std. Poodle that reside here as well. Well, gotta put a meat loaf in now, hope ta catch ya'll later this evening. Darci

Hey Julie, Accually, Im right smack dab in the middle of the state, so I can go either way. I moved here about a yr ago from Utah and have had a hard time meeting folks that work dogs, and Ive heard that the stock dog club out here is pretty in-active so any one whos working can give me a shout and I will try to "come by". Darci

Darci,

There's a bunch of us who are all about an hour to an hour-and-a-half from each other. All with sheep, some hair, some wool. We're basically in the middle of the state too, as you can see from the information under our avatars or in our sig lines. I'm in Liberty, which is about 20 miles south of Greensboro. I know some of us will be in Virginia trialing for most of the weekends in October, but there certainly is plenty of dog working that goes on around here. The Carolina Border Collie Association mostly doesn't seem to exist any more, but there are groups in VA and GA, both of which put out newsletters, I believe, where you could get information on upcoming trials and the like.

J.

The GA newsletter covers events in SC, and many GA events in fact are very accessible to us Tarheels. And of course VA isn't very far by trialing standards, especially if you are used to Western distances!

I'm up north of Durham, almost at the state line, and a little over an hour from Greensboro. There's a good number of us around, we're just not organized :rolleyes: . I also have another friend in the area where Julie lives, who keeps a few sheep and goats but mostly works cattle.

Whats going on over the next few week ends around the area, and where? I havent been to a trial since I got here and am itching to get to some at least to visit and meet folks. All my dogs have had a yr off training, due to the move and recent marraige, and are so rusty they squeak when they walk! But getting back in shape, and into the swing of things is our goal this fall for the older 3 and have hopes of putting at least 2 of the 3 pups in novice this next spring. So a bit of exposer would be good for they younger ones. Thanks, I will check out becomming a member of the SC and Ga. clubs. I knew the one out here was pretty inactive as I had already checked it out when I moved out here. The Utah stock dog Assoc. was a very active club with a lot of great folks in it and I miss that. Cant wait to start getting out and about!

The trials I know of are all in VA, but I'm sure there are some in GA as well. If you want to join the Virginia association, go to VBCA. and download a membership form. The GA association is at GSDA.

Upcoming trials

This Thursday: The VA State Fair SDT, Richmond, VA. This is an arena trial that has been held for many years in conjunction with the state fair.

This weekend: Montpelier SDT and Fall Fiber Festival, Orange, VA (near the home of James Madison). The trial field is not huge, but the festival draws good crowds so there are lots of spectators. And the fiber festival itself is quite worth the visit.

Oct. 12-14: Edgeworth, Gordonsville, VA (Albemarle County east of Charlottesville, Tommy and Florence Wilson)). If there's only one trial you could attend, this is the one. 600-yard outrun, wool crossbred ewes who are not easy to work, and some very good competition.

Oct. 15-17: Seclusival, Shipman, VA. This weekday trial is designed to allow folks coming long distances to Edgeworth and Lexington to have something to do during the week between. This is held at the farm of the late Stu Ligon.

Oct. 20-21: Lexington SDT, Lexington, VA. This is a new trial this year at the farm of Dave Clark and Cheryl Branibar. Wool sheep (Hampshires?).

Nov. 10-11: Mount Pleasant SDT, Strasburg, VA. Held at beautiful Mt. Pleasant Farm, all classes will be run on the big field in front of the main house using Tom Forrestor's corriedale flock.

First weekend in Dec.: VBCA winter trial, held at Mt. Pleasant Farm.

2nd weekend in Dec.: Novice trial held in Liberty, NC, at the farm of Mary and Tony Luper.

That should keep you busy! Some of these trials require a bit of driving, but if you've got the gumption, they're well worth attending.

ETA: If you do decide you want to attend any of these trials, someone on these boards can give you more specific directions.

J.

ARRRG!! I ment Va. not Ga. Its all still just so new to me. Thank you for sending all that info Julie, I appreciate the trouble ya went through to do that for me. Hello Iron Horse, Thanks for the welcome, and all else who stopped in to say "Hey" too. I would love to go to Tommy Wilsons trial, I understand its a great one and Tommy and his wife Ive heard are really wonderful folks. Theres a few Im definitly gonna go to. I missed Tony Luper's last yr due to work, but am marking that one on the calender as we speak. Its only about 45 monuets from home. Cant wait to meet folks and get on with life out here. Thanks again to all for such a warm and helpful welcome. Darci

Welcome! I'm rather a newbie myself, but GORGEOUS puppy! I love the ears and the markings.

I figured that as a NC-resident I should pop in and say "welcome!" too. I don't have sheep (or even a BC :rolleyes:) but "Welcome!" anyway.

Well, me too! I have a daughter in Chapel Hill, and I work with a law firm there, so I am frequently in state. I'll chime in with an honorary welcome! After seeing Julie's list, I may want to be there more after all. Being at a trial outdoors, in the east, with fall colors and cool weather sounds like heaven to me!

Julie's sheep are well worth seeing, woolly eye candy. :D My sheep aren't that pretty but the farm is fun, at least most people seem to think so. Do the farm tour, or alternate! I'm about an hour from Chapel Hill - the drive is gorgeous this time of year!

I'll be having (I'm pretty sure, not 100% confirmed yet but we have the weekend reserved) Jack Knox out for a clinic the third weekend in January next year. We have a good time at that one - last year we couldn't have asked for better weather (and it snowed the day Jack left!). We won't discuss the weather the year before but we'll be prepared this time! :rolleyes: