BC Boards

Where to find an ABCA approved breeders directory?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If I go the rescue route are there any females pups up to six months that have been deemed healthy, meaning family history, eyes, hips, joints, etc...? That's my biggest fear!!!!!!!!!!

No matter where you get a pup from, be it the most esteemed breeder on the planet who has health tested hips for 20 generations, you will have to accept...repeat after me....

ALL PUPS ARE A GAMBLE

Very few disease are simple genetics. Collie Eye Anomoly for example, is simple. Both parents are normal, non carrier, and the pups will be the same. Hips though...are a mystery of genetics and enviromnent. Seizures...the same sort of mystery. Deafness....mystery.

Scienctists and a good breeder with ethics can cut the odds some but repeat after me...

ALL PUPS ARE A GAMBLE

The only way to get a 100% guarantee of what you want is to buy or adopt it that way. If you need a specific temperament (like kids for example), specific health (i.e. no bad hips), specific drives and behaviors (i.e. herds or likes Frisbee) then you buy/adopt a dog old enough to see that what you need does, or doesn't, appear in that dog.

For most issues that means a dog a minimum of 18 months of age. By that age you see the adult temperament, adult drives, adult health and structure. You still may be surprised by seizures later, or some other less common health problem, but that is a risk you take with any dog, any living being, regardless of origin.

Despite stereotypes and myths, you can't always "raise a pup up the way you want it". Some dogs will *never* like children, others will think Frisbee is a stupid game no matter how much you try. Others will adore flyball and the accompanying noise, while others, raised around Flyball will view it akin to canine hades. They are individuals, not factory line robots that come off the line with a certain set of gifts and quirks.

ALL PUPS ARE A GAMBLE

I can't say that enough.

speaking of posting pictures, :rolleyes: I work for HP and have access to amazing resources so last week when the family decided to get a dog I bought a family collie site, I also used it during a training class I had to teach to some new employees. One rule of mine is that I never use my personal info so I bought and setup a site without using my info

floridabordercollie.com

Don't mind any of the text, photos, anything on the site except for the logo. It's loaded with fake crap until I sit down and add my family stuff and start posting my new dogs photos.

As a photographer I would be annoyed if a web designer posted one of my photos without permission or even credit. Please be sure to cover copyright infringement in your classes.

Mark

Sue, with all due respect, when I say "many", I am referring to numbers over 5- and actually, more like 20. Perhaps I should have said "a few". Shall I list all of them? No, I don't think so, because I submit, most of us know them already :rolleyes: Breeding is not a dirty word, and to imply that THIS board doesn't have many breeders on it, is, well, incorrect.

"Many" folks on these very boards do breed? I think not. I think you would find that it is relatively extremely few actually, and with very stringent standards for doing so - at least when it comes to the majority that adhere to the board's objectives and philosophy.

I think the point of the argument is responsible breeding accompanied by suitable placement of pups/dogs. No one denies the value of quality, responsible breeding of proven dogs and bloodlines. It's what keeps the breed going and, hopefully, improving.

Unfortunately, after September 1, 2007 you might :rolleyes:

CANADIAN KENNEL CLUB CLUB CANIN CANADIEN

Synopsis of the June 2007 Board of Directors Meeting

8. The CKC will use the standard of the Country of Origin (UK) for the Border

Collie, until such time as the Canadian Border Collie Association publishes

a standard for the breed that is suitable for the use of Conformation

judges

Where is the puking icon??

RDM

LOL then people shouldn't post images in the google image library.

People don't post their images there, actually Google pulls them the same way they pull search results and both copyright and free material is brought up when a user searches. Just have a quick look through the page you plan on taking the image from (it is in the frame below the image) and see if there is any copyright information for it. Simple as that.

Julie,

I'm sure Sue can speak for herself, but this forum has something like 7,600 members. Surely not many of them are breeders. At any rate, even 100 breeders doesn't constitute many when viewed as part of the total (it would be around 1 percent, in fact).

And I don't get the idea that we're somehow saying breeders or breeding in general is bad (or a dirty word), we're saying--as we've always said--that bad breeders and bad breeding are bad. Most of the folks that are known to be breeders on this forum are breeding working dogs largely for working homes. That means they're breeding for the correct reasons. But I think we can agree (and have agreed) that breeding pets or sport dogs with little or no regard for working ability is bad. And I, for one, hope that we don't have a bunch of closet breeders here--if we do, then stating that many folks on this board are breeders might be correct.

J.

LOL then people shouldn't post images in the google image library.

I suggest you review the copyright laws. Despite common belief, it's your job to NOT infringe; it's not their job to prevent you from infringing.

Conversations drift due to comments made by those involved (in person or virtual), it's problematic to let incorrect comments go by without correction since soooo many people believe that once it's in writing it is fact. BTW this drift off topic was initiated here: http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.p...st&p=185059.

Mark

I know 100 isn't a lot compared to the # of members, but that does fall under the heading of "many" to me, wrt the average dog board. Actually, I think the good breeders here, is a GOOD thing. People will read, and get a sense of what these dogs do, and just how carefully thought out, and labor intensive all of this breeding stuff is. I don't think "bad" breeders stand a LICK of a hope to survive on these boards :rolleyes:

Julie,

I'm sure Sue can speak for herself, but this forum has something like 7,600 members. Surely not many of them are breeders. At any rate, even 100 breeders doesn't constitute many when viewed as part of the total (it would be around 1 percent, in fact).

And I don't get the idea that we're somehow saying breeders or breeding in general is bad (or a dirty word), we're saying--as we've always said--that bad breeders and bad breeding are bad. Most of the folks that are known to be breeders on this forum are breeding working dogs largely for working homes. That means they're breeding for the correct reasons. But I think we can agree (and have agreed) that breeding pets or sport dogs with little or no regard for working ability is bad. And I, for one, hope that we don't have a bunch of closet breeders here--if we do, than stating that many folks on this board are breeders might be correct.

J.

Others will adore flyball and the accompanying noise, while others, raised around Flyball will view it akin to canine hades

That's becasue they are smart dogs! :D I've only tried flyball once. It was in the hayloft of a big metal barn, the noise was headache material right from the start. I considered it canine hades or worse! The dog I tried with it wasn't thrilled either. Sorry to all you fly ball people out there, maybe it was the metal barn factor. :rolleyes:

Back on topic...

Good luck Mr. Liquid on your quest of finding that perfect pup. I think the advise you've been given is wonderful. The breeding part or I should say non breeding part is the best.

Kristen

Lenajo, I love your grasshopper statement. Now I know why I'm always hopping around! :D

I can speak for myself but Julie P usually says it better, and I thank her for that!

I'm proud to be associated with the likes of Mark and Renee, Julie P, Diane Pagel, and others who have produced limited numbers of pups from carefully planned breedings of good, proven, and compatible dogs. I'll still state that I believe few people on this board (at least of those who are responsible folks) breed, and only with great consideration as to producing excellent pups and placing them in quality working (and only occasionally pet/companion) homes.

And, Rick, a lot of this is relevant to your original comments although some is perhaps tangential. It's all part of the education here.

Best wishes, and I like your attitude that if one dog doesn't care to play the game, there will be room in your home for another deserving dog (and still just as much love and attention for the less-playful member of the family, I'm expecting)! Sometimes, though, the dog that isn't just what you wanted/expected, turns out to be the best dog for you and your family, so it's wise to keep your mind open to the possibilities.

Off Topic: Thank God for Tivo!

Indeedy!

Rick, I hope you'll hand around this board for a while and get to enjoy the posts of the inimitable RuffMuttGang, who most surely has little time for TV, recorded or otherwise. We all stand in awe of Debbie who at any given time has fifteen or so border collies on hand. She has nine of her own and several fosters. Her YouTube movies of multi-BC adventures are a real highlight. Check em out!