BC Boards

Favourite Moments from The Nationals

Guest pax

Betty Levin stood in the middle of the shed for so long with her back to us and I couldn't really see what she was doing...all I could see was her back, and a quietly swarming bunch of sheep.

She extended her right hand, so graciously, like a hostess asking in guests, and dang if those sheep didn't shed off like silk. It was beautiful.

I worked the eye clinic on Friday, and got to sneak rubbies in on a LOT of really nice dogs. I was GEEK girl on Saturday and Sunday. "Oh, I petted him, and him, and her..".

Tommy Wilson and Sly made me forget to breath, it was such a gorgeous natural piece of work every time they stepped on the field.

So many good good handlers going to help their dogs and making sure they weren't too tired or hot to go on, even in the face of such tremendous competition.

Meeting so many nice people.

I don't even know where I'd start. I don't think I even breathed throughout the entire top 40, and then the top 17. No, actually I KNOW I didn't breathe through any of those runs... and I think I had the edges of my chair in a death grip.

I was absolutely riveted on the international sheds, and wished I could be inside of the handlers' heads hearing their thoughts throughout their runs.

It was interesting to not only hear but practically feel the entire crowd moan when sheep missed the panels, and a really fantastic atmosphere.

I think one of the most memorable few moments for me was watching Tom Wilson and Sly dealing with their naughty group of sheep. I was blown away.

It was great to meet so many nice people, and nice to have dinner with a bunch of you from the boards. Sue was kind to let us borrow an umbrella to keep us a little more comfortable (thanks, Sue!).

Tommy Wilson and Sly made me forget to breath, it was such a gorgeous natural piece of work every time they stepped on the field.

Me too!!!

I also had a ball walking through downtown Gettysburg - what a neat town. I enjoyed eating at the various restaurants - it was a nice departure from typical chain rest. foods.

I also had a ball walking through downtown Gettysburg - what a neat town. I enjoyed eating at the various restaurants - it was a nice departure from typical chain rest. foods.

Restaurants? Downtown? Where was this stuff?! I didn't even leave the trial site until the last evening to go out for dinner... :rolleyes: Jet and i crashed every evening as soon as we got back to the camper, just flat worn out. I think she probably moved more sheep last week than any other dog there (except maybe the set out dogs), what fun! And i got to tear across the field in the Mule picking up dogs and handlers and sheep that didnt quite make it around the course. Woo hoo! I got to meet some new folks i really liked and got to know some others a lot better. It was a real pleasure and totally an honor to be on the HA committee and involved in setting up the courses and making decisions on layout and any little controversy or whatever popped up, and just sitting up there being responsible and part of the group "in charge" of the field. What a terrific, educational week! I so hope i get to be on the committee again.

Tommy's runs were all beautiful, and especially in the Final. Linda Fogt's top run in the first round was really nice. Bev with Pippa (my sentimental favorite dog) and Bill, all top notch as usual. I enjoyed sitting with Tommy to watch the first half of the first day of Nursery, it was like being in school listening to him evaluating the dogs. I so wish i could have stayed longer!

And i got to bring this little cutie home too.

babybill_sm.jpg

I only got to be there for about an hour and a half, but my favorite part was seeing the dog go running across the field at the very beginning of each run where the dog went far, far out to get his or her sheep. To me that was just cool to watch.

I also like the penning. We were sitting right by the pen, so we had a good view of that part and we enjoyed that.

babybill_sm.jpg

Oh dear. Where did that little piece of heaven come from? Your are lucky I didn't spot your pup while I was there, otherwise it might have gone missing :rolleyes:

My favorite part was seeing all the dogs, but especially watching them shed. It's like a dance and with some handlers who stay very quiet it looks like the dog is reading their mind.

I only got to be there for about an hour and a half, but my favorite part was seeing the dog go running across the field at the very beginning of each run where the dog went far, far out to get his or her sheep. To me that was just cool to watch.

I also like the penning. We were sitting right by the pen, so we had a good view of that part and we enjoyed that.

Did we meet? I was sitting right by the pen both Sat and Sun.

I look like this...

naimhkissing.jpg

I think I did see you!!! I was wondering if you were taking pictures for a newspaper!!

We thought that an excellent vantage point and it was good to be under cover in all that heat.

We were there on Saturday between about 12:30 and 2:00. I only live about a half hour from there - over the mountains just to the north. I was glad that we were able to go - even for just that little bit, although both of us would have liked to have stayed more.

Hmm, just one favorite moment?

Tommy Wilson and Sly, most any time they were on the field (and off). Scott Glen and Pleat shedding, with Pleat seeming to just "know" which sheep of two that split (collared plus uncollared) was the right one to bring back and the right one to let go. Watching Renee and Bette in their Nursery runs. Talking with Raymond MacPherson about the dogs, the handlers, the runs, and his personal philosophy about a number of aspects of the work and judging. The donuts that hospitality provided. Meeting new folks and fun with old friends. Watching dogs (and especially some young Nursery dogs) deal with tough situations with instinct, skill, and courage. Seeing the relationship between handler and dog in some very special partnerships. Watching Amanda Milliken exhaust sheep in a red sundress. Being invited to potlucks and socializing by fellow campers. Being thanked by gracious folks like Tommy and Florence for doing my little part to help. Being supported and encouraged by my dear hubby to be there.

Teardrop camper for clinics and trials - $7900. Gas to get to Gettysburg and home - $50. Food - $100. Tee-shirts, sweatshirt, jacket, new whistle, souvenirs, gifts - $400. Time, money, lessons, clinics, vet bills, etc., invested in dogs - $$$. Being there as a volunteer and spectator, and seeing the best rise to the challenges - priceless!