BC Boards

Scary Day...

So, yesterday Idolon came down with another outbreak of inflammatory bowel syndrome (IBS) and this time she was hit with very bloody diarrhea. Poor Ido...it really confused me, too, because we've been keeping VERY tight watch on her, she has not been outside, no treats, she's been very well kept since the last time...

So we went to the vet today. She got a couple shots of antibiotics, some flagyl pills, tylon (sp?) powder, and oe other kind of pill simply labeled "CM"...all that and a special high fiber diet.

So I get to work, immediately stick her in her crate, feed her her new food with meds, and left her to rest a bit. I return 15 minutes later, and her nose kind of looked funny, like she was curling her lip. So I bet closer, opened the crate, lifted her head...her entire face was swollen, lumpy, she looked AWFUL...!!! I immediately called the vet, thinking surely she's had an allergic reaction to the meds...

The vet sad to bring her in, they'd put her on some liquid benedryl, and possibly keep her overnight. They insisted it wasn't the meds, that she must have smelled something she was allergic to, a perfume perhaps, or gotten stung by a bee. I again insisted that since leaving he vet office, she came in contact with nothing unsusual, and didn't eat anything. She went into my car, on a leash, out of my car, straight into work and into her crate to eat her new food and meds. I'm still not 100% convinced it wasn't the meds, and I'm dreading giving them to her tomorrow....

*sigh* poor Ido...

Sounds like a scary day! I hope she starts getting better.

Sage got stung by a bee once (well twice) and her face swelled up and made her look really weird. We gave her some benedryl and she was better. Good thoughts going out to Idolon.

Thanks for all the good wishes. I just hope tomorrow morning's feeding goes off without a hitch...

The great thing is the vet I saw this time has a lab who has the same condition as Ido, so she was able to give me much more advice on how to prevent future outbreaks, and diet suggestions as well. Woohoo!!

Also when she goes in to get spayed next week, they're going to keep an eye out for anything abnormal.

A friend of mine has a Border Collie who is highly allergic to Flagyl. The vets are/were blown away that he would be allergic to Flagyl, but that was the only med he was taking and she gave him 3 or 4 doses before she put two and two together. Each time she gave him his "next" dose his reaction was a bit worse until the last dose she gave him when he swelled and broke out in hives. It is now listed in BIG letters on his chart and records that he is allergic to the Flagyl.

WWBC

Aww poor Ido!

One thought - perhaps you should move her spay appointment. Her system is bound to be pretty sensitive so soon after a flare up and putting her under and having major surgery might add more stress to an already stressed system. I'd hate to see her fall into another severe bout of IBS so soon after this one as it must be pretty tough on her.

Her spay is tentatively set for next week. The Doc wants a stool sample and a check-up before getting her in there. The problem is, she is 9 months old now, and I really don't want her to go into heat before getting her spayed. Her spay was pushed back the last time because of this. Not only her spay, but her Rabies shot as well.

As for the flagyl, the last time she was on it for an extended period, it was a half pill. Now its a whole pill. Maybe that is the case? We'll see today, she just got fed...cross your fingers.

I don't know what the "CM" pill would be, but I'd get an exact list from the vet of exactly what she got yesterday, both injection-wise and pills. That way you can know for future use (in case you change vets or have to go somewhere else in an emergency) and can let any vets know that she MIGHT be allergic to one of them.

Sometimes repeated exposure to a medication can lead to a sensitivity. Much like with people who get stung by a bee once and they're fine. Next time they get stung, their throat closes up. So it COULD be the flagyl...just wouldn't be my first guess since she also went on some new meds as well. Has she had the high fiber food before or is that new too?

From my recent encounter with my Vet I have to say that I just don't trust vets in general. This sounds like a rather cavalier, chip on the shouldertop gun answer. I would have expected your vet to have asked what she came in contact with and not to assume that the reaction WAS NOT meds. Idiot.

ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH.

Well, so far, so good, on taking today's meds and food. Still totally blows my mind that she came down with that sort of reaction. Perhaps it was a reaction to the antibiotic shots they gave her? Who knows? I still can't think of anything--short of sniffing up something on the vet's floor--that she might have come in contact with that she doesn't encounter every single day of her life.

Still nervous about getting her spayed, though. I don't want her to go into heat. But I want to give her system a good deal of time to heal from this latest onslaught of IBD. Then again, during the spay surgery, they'll have a chance to peek inside to make sure everything is in top shape. *sigh* Decisions, decisions...

I guess what I'd be thinking is if you keep waiting for her not to have an IBD episode you may never get her spayed. Ditto to the rabies vaccine. If she has stabilized by early next week, I think I'd take the chance on the spay, because as you say they might be able to see if there's anything to see in there. And really, these bouts seem to be happening often enough that you may never find a good time to spay if you wait for her to "heal" between IBD episodes. JMO.

J.

Yeah, Natalie, I even got a lecture from the vet on maintaining a hypo-allergenic environment at home. I just kind of raised my brows like "Oh Really?" I just thought it funny, that they still insisted it came from MY place. Here I am at a vet office with dozens of animals from every size, shape, breed, etc...hair, dander, diseases swiming through the atmosphere (My vet is ALWAYS crowded. They have the best prices in town, and they've been really good to me thus far..) and I'm getting a lecture on maintaining hypo-allergenic practices at HOME. Sheesh.

So yes, poo sample goes in by next Thursday, and if all is well she'll be getting spayed. Cross your fingers...