BC Boards

Eko HATES Science diet. Suggestions...

Lately he won't even eat it at all, he seems to be losing a bit of weight. I've seen him get near the my roomates dogs food (pedigree) and he goes nuts and eats it like hes starving. The science diet just sits in his bowl.

So what do I do? Are there any good dog-food brands that dogs seem to really like? Do i mix something into the science diet? It hurts me to see him not eat.

He's smart :rolleyes: S D is not a good food- there are many out there that are better. Canidae is a good food for one.

Look for a food with meat as the top ingredients.

Lately he won't even eat it at all, he seems to be losing a bit of weight. I've seen him get near the my roomates dogs food (pedigree) and he goes nuts and eats it like hes starving. The science diet just sits in his bowl.

So what do I do? Are there any good dog-food brands that dogs seem to really like? Do i mix something into the science diet? It hurts me to see him not eat.

He's smart :rolleyes: S D is not a good food- there are many out there that are better. Canidae is a good food for one.

Look for a food with meat as the top ingredients.

I'm about to go to petsmart, what should I get him? Is Innova there?

Sorry, Rskillz, but you will not be able to buy Innova at Petsmart or any large chain. They only sell to the mom and pop stores. On their website they state large chain stores store the dog food in warehouses and distribute them when/where it's needed. If you go to their website, you can find out what stores in your area sell it.

http://www.naturapet.com/

No, Innova isn't sold in Petsmart. Neither is Canidae. You'll find the premium foods aren't sold there, although you can still probably find a better choice than SD at a Petsmart. The better foods are sold at your smaller local retailers.

Not to pick on anyone feeding it, but Science Diet is a low quality food, that people pay too much for. See this website for how to choose a good food:

www.dogfoodproject.com

You can google Canidae and Innova (made by Natura), find their websites and do a store locator search to find where to buy those foods in your area. And just a warning, if you balk at the prices of the premium foods, remember, you usually feed less of these, so it all evens out in the end.

ETA: Sorry, Brenda. We were posting at the same time. :rolleyes:

Do you have Pet People stores near you? They sell Natural Balance, Inova, Canidae, etc. At PetSmart, you could check out Natural Choice -- does anyone know if that's good?

In a house with multiple dogs, I think it is good if each dog gets down to business and eats its food without leaving it sit around. That way you can feed each dog exactly how much and what you want it to have. To accomplish this, I add some canned dogfood to the Natural Balance kibble I feed Daisy. I use the Whole Foods 365 Lamb & Rice for this. I use about 1/4 can per feeding. Enough to make the food seem real yummy....to a dog, that is!

ETA: I do feed my cat Science Diet Oral Care, since (i) he lurrrvves it, and (ii) I haven't found any other "oral care" types and it really does help his teeth get less tartar. He seems to be thriving on it, but I wouldn't mind finding another brand that worked as well. I mean, cats don't need to eat corn!

If you're going to PetSmart--try getting Natural Balance (Dick van Patten) or something in the "super premium" food aisle. Like Julie said, look for something with meat as the first ingredient (not meat meal or meat by-products). Also, it's a good idea to avoid foods with ingredients like "Animal meal" or "animal liver"--no telling what that is. I also try to avoid foods with ingredients I can't pronounce or have never heard of....Depending on where you live, it might be worth finding a locally run pet store--they will almost certainly carry better foods than the big chains (though to their credit the big box stores are getting better than they were)

If you're going to PetSmart--try getting Natural Balance (Dick van Patten) or something in the "super premium" food aisle. Like Julie said, look for something with meat as the first ingredient (not meat meal or meat by-products). Also, it's a good idea to avoid foods with ingredients like "Animal meal" or "animal liver"--no telling what that is. I also try to avoid foods with ingredients I can't pronounce or have never heard of....Depending on where you live, it might be worth finding a locally run pet store--they will almost certainly carry better foods than the big chains (though to their credit the big box stores are getting better than they were)

I found a store a few miles away with Canidae, I'm just curious if he'll even like it, meh. Gonna try it i guess.

Sometimes adding some water to it will make it more enticing (and will help lower the risk of bloat). One thing we did with puppies was feed them some of their food in a buster cube--you fill it with kibble and they knock it around trying to get the kibble out--keeps them entertained for a long time.

Yay! He loves the Canidae. LOL he was trying to give me his paw to refill his bowl. Mixing about 4/5th dry and 1/5th wet.

Got the Lamb and rice. Funny too, it's cheaper than Science diet at petsmart.

Rohan loves Felidae (kitty version of Canidae), but Riven REFUSED to eat Canidae. She will steal the neighbor dogs Ol Roy but wont eat Canidae! Stupid picky girl lol. But we feed raw, and if we didnt I would attempt to get her to eat Canidae again. Its about the same price as SD, but much better. :rolleyes:

Could there be a legit health reason as to why he suddenly doesn't like the food? You mean to tell me a dog will starve itself due to not liking a brand of kibbel?

Mine would. Up to two days, if he doesn't like what he's getting. But apparently Eko likes the other dog's food, so it doesn't sound like any health issues.

Glad you found something he likes! I bet he was adorable pawing you for seconds :rolleyes:

I normally don't recommend many big name companies, especially those that make "special" formulas, but... I have been very impressed by the research that Royal Canin does and how they go about doing that research (ethical, mostly privately owned pets, use board certified vets in nutrition and various diseases). Royal Canin makes my very short list of foods I would recommend.