BC Boards

How did your BC get his/her name?

Well, my DH and I are fans of the short-lived scifi series called 'Firefly'. There's a character on it, a friendly, freckle-faced young woman with an uncanny gift for starship engineering, whose name is Kaylee.

We also are really into celtic music: I play wire-strung harp, when I'm not playing Tug, which is not very often, anymore. In Gaelic, 'Celidh', also pronounced "Kaylee", means 'a dance'.

'Gator': well, we are doing our best to train out of that!

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest WoobiesMom

Woobie's first foster family thought he looked like a Wookie and that was his first name. Then they saw how sweet he was and changed it to Woobie. I liked it and thought it fit him so we kept it. Especially after I saw the PetSmart commercial with the little dachsund and his toy called Woobie. Someone at the dog park said there's a cartoon with a dog named Woobie but I haven't found any info on it. At least he's the only one at the dog park. There's so many Ambers, Maxs and Smokeys that when the owners call them, 3 look! :rolleyes:

I like the name Woobie, it seems to really suit him. He must be nice to hug! His puppy pix in the other thread are absolutely adorable: he looks like a stuffed toy doggie.

There's a pop song out there with a chorus that goes "Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, RUBY!" that got stuck in my head the other day, but now when I hear it, I substitute 'Woobie'...

Well, Rohan (our cat) was named randomly when we were trying to think of names. Hubby and I love Lord of the Rings, and Rohan is a city of man in it. So, when we got Riven, we wanted another LOTR name and decided on Rivendell, a city of elves. We want another 2 cats... 1 black to name Mordor and one white to name Minas Tirth (Gondor).

Guest WoobiesMom
I like the name Woobie, it seems to really suit him. He must be nice to hug! His puppy pix in the other thread are absolutely adorable: he looks like a stuffed toy doggie.

There's a pop song out there with a chorus that goes "Ruby, Ruby, Ruby, RUBY!" that got stuck in my head the other day, but now when I hear it, I substitute 'Woobie'...

Aww thanks! He really is a sweetie! And the white mane around his neck is like cashmere, so very soft and fluffy! I just love petting him there. It's a shame he doesn't like kids because they are SO ATTRACTED to him! Do you know the artist for that song? I'd love to give it a listen.

I think naming a cat Mordor would be asking for trouble! :D My cat Milo is evil incarnate, we call him Adolph most of the time. :rolleyes: He's really mean to Miss Jackie, the old orange marmalade kitty and we lock him in the bathroom often. Even having Woobs to mess with hasn't mellowed his insistence on pestering Jackie.

I love LOTR too, but if I ever named any of my animals that I would get so much crap from everyone. They just don't undestand. :rolleyes:

The way I name all of my animals is I use names that I like but I wouldn't name my children. With that being said...

Rhea: I like greek mythology, especially for names and Rhea was the mother of the olympians and it sounded pretty.

Gunnar: His original name was Tank, but then we heard that dogs learn names better that have two syllables. So I went to babynames.com and looked up named that means warrior and stuff like that and made a list for my BF. He picked Gunnar which means warrior in scandinavian.

Masi: Her original name was Maxine, her orginial owners called her Maxi, her foster didn't like that name so she used Mazzy. We kept the pronunciation and just changed the spelling to Masi.

Mine came with his name already :rolleyes: But it fit so I kept it.

I kind of go by what they do, or if they do something funny. Some names they just pick for them selves.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

Freckles came with hers. we added on to it...

'Lady Freckles LaLa P Savala (of Porterville)'

Tucker...we had several

Tucker, Truman, Relson (Helson...pronounce like portugese), Rickson (hickson), Danger.

When we saw him he 'looked' like a Tucker. So we have:

'Don Tucker Relson Lalo P Savala (of Adelanto)

the P stands for 'Puppin's' in both ...a family name LOL

My first pet of my own was a retarded hamster. I named him Pip, form "Great Expectations". But I was dating Chuck (DH for almost 42 years now), and he always wanted to name a pet Sam. So the little critter was Phillip Samuel Pirrup.

We then got a cat and named him Ulthar, for a town where no one may kill a cat, in a story by H.P. Lovecraft.

Then we got a dog who was Vamp, for no known reason. Yes, she was a black lab mix. But "vampire" was not in there.

The next cat was Frodo. It was our 4-year-old who knew the name from Tolkien and christened him.

Then a cat named Tyga. Yes, striped, but really dark. The kids named her for the wonderful cat my folks had and whom they loved.

Fergie is named for a border collie we met at a wonderful B&B on our first trip to Yorkshire. That Ferg was a working dog who was also a sweet pet, named for Sarah Ferguson, Duchess of York. Sadly, that Fergie didn't last long. But we still love to stay at that B&B. Ferg is also Ferguson J. Puppydog. Or Ferguson J. Puppyfrau.

We have no idea why Maggie the Cat is Maggie. We had a week from when we met her at an adoption place to when she arrived here. One evening, we each asked what the other thought would be a good name. And answered together: Maggie. And also that it would be short for Magdelena. So she's Magdelena D. Pussyface or The Magpie.

Sammie came from the SPCA named. It fit him, so we kept it.

Speedy's name was "Speed". We liked that since we are stock car racing fans. We added the "y", so it wouldn't sound like a drug.

Maddie's name at the rescue was "Madison". It didn't suit her, but Maddie did. When our neighbor asked what her name was and we said "Madison", he thought we said "Madelyn". We liked that, so her name became Maddie Lynn.

Dean Dog's original name, before he was in rescue, was Demon. Now that's asking for trouble! The owner of the rescue changed it to Dean. We liked that and kept it, but somehow he just became Dean Dog. I honestly don't really know why. All of a sudden one day he was Dean Dog and it stuck!

Well, Nykie wasn't exactly planned. Our Shelties have Elvis Presley related names, but I couldn't come up with a good one for Nykie, so I returned to my love for Greek Mythology. That's where Nike was at...goddess of victory. I just didn't like the common spelling, so I altered that.

I don't knwo why, but for years and years I've loved the name Zoe. And when I saw Zoe's puppy picture up on Petfinder I knew it was her. Well, it was down to Callisto/Callie or Zoe.... Zoe won. :rolleyes:

Zeeke got his name kind of by fluke. When DH got him we were arguing over names... DH wanted to name him Jake, because apparently all his male dogs have been named Jake. I said that was stupid, you can't keep naming all your dogs the same thing!! I wanted to name him Cody. Then someone in the shelter as we were walking out said, "He looks like a Zeke." And we sat in the car and said... you know... he really does! LOL!

Oreo got her name because I was 12 years old at the time and when she was a tiny puppy she was black with a white stripe around her neck and I decided she looked like an Oreo cookie, LOL.

My Sophie got her name by association. My housemate wanted to name her Annie...but I didn't think it suited her. I liked the ...IE. I happened to be watching the Gene Simmons (from KISS) reality show. His daughter is Sophie (smart like miss puppy)....and that's my girl's name.

I thought I answered this already, but here goes. Usher got his name because I had always had border collies and when it was time for me to get a service dog, I just couldn't even think of training any other breed. Usher is in training to be my service dog to help me with my dystonia. He calms my tremors and helps me balance and leads or "usher's" me around. And that's why I named him Usher.

Tua - Hubby named him after a pair of telemark skis he wanted. Never got the skis, but Tua became his ski buddy.

Lizzy - Foster mom named her Elizabeth. The whole litter was named after a cast from Survivor (season 2?)...we shortened it to Lizzy

Jak - Full name is "Jak BC 100". Oh once again hubby names him after a pair of telemark skis (Karhu Jaks Backcoutry 100). Well, he did get the skis, and Jak fast became his new skiing buddy, picking up where Tua left off.

Brass - she came with her name. We mostly call her Brassy and Brassy Pants.

I LOVE Lord of The Rings... and love the names Rohan & Riven. I have a cat named Kiya after a character in the movie Willow...then a cate named Azim from Robinhood Prince of Thieves...and finally Romi...a crazy cat named after Tour de France cyclist Tony Rominger. I wanted to name him "Big Mig" 'cause I was a HUGE Miguel Indurain fan, but Romi won out.

ben came with the name Reon from the shelter - but that sounded a bit to fancy

Ben was a brown and white collie I was friends with as a kid - he was a great dog - had all the qualities I wanted

Friendly but loyal to one person, walked off lead well - would run ahead then check back with you all the time

good in the house but fun outside

Only one 'bad' habbit was leg licking

I wanted to call Ben Ben but b/f said it was a rubbish name - and all the while the puppy was licking my legs - so Ben it is

Also I like the idea of using outside names for bc's - Ben - mountain or Glen - valley for males

Bracken, Bramble, heather for females

Although I also think when I get a girl I might call her Maggie after my gran cos she was a smart lady (not that I am getting a girl for a while yet)

When my boyf and I were planning on getting a female dog we got an obscure name stuck in our heads.....sausage! Don't ask me why but it stuck!!

When we were looking in our local rescue centre we found a little kitten with cat flu that someone had dumped! We had to have her and decided to call her Mash, making Sausage and Mash when we eventually got the dog!

When we eventually found our BC he turned out to be a male. That changed things somewhat! We couldn't call him Sausage now, he'd get picked on in the park! :rolleyes:

We decided, in the end to call him Ed.

Now we have MashEd!

It took me a couple days to get Kodi's name. I don't really know what I like it but I do. I think that it is a good dog name. I also wanted a different spelling other than "Cody" so I changed that too.

That's cool. I always liked the name Dakota, so I used it for my Schnauzer. I call him Koty, though. Like you, I wanted a different spelling, so I altered the Dakota by dropping the Da- and the -a, and adding a -y at the end. :rolleyes:

I think since my dog's name is Usher, the next dog I get will be a rescue female and I'll name her "LIL KIM" :rolleyes:

See, when I think of "Usher" I think of THE Usher from 'Carnivale.' Which makes me think of Nick Stahl and how adorable he is, like a big eared puppy. How wanton of me.

Red Dog - is a pseudonym. It is not his real name. His real name was given to him and borrowed from a character on one of my all time favourite television shows, Twin Peaks.

Tweed - was named after the first sheepdog to win the first recorded sheepdog trial in history, or so I've heard. Tweed, of course, has no talent on sheep. He is often called "Mister T." or Tweird, for obvious reasons.

Piper - I tricked my at the time BF into naming Piper, since I intended to keep her from the moment she was put into my arms. I ended up keeping Piper, but not the BF. Ah well, she's more fun anyway.

Mr. Woo - came with the unfortunate name of Ricky. Hardly. I renamed him Tricky Woo, after the rock band, not the James Herriot Peke, and intended to call him Tricky, which I still do a lot. However, my BF of the time (not Piper's "dad") liked to append formal titles to dogs. His own border collies were "Mr. Pot" (JackPot) and "Mr H." (Hayden). He one day called Tricky Woo "Mr Woo" and after falling all over ourselves laughing, it stuck. He is now Mr. Woo.

Toilet Kitty has a real name - Leonard - but as he lives in the bathroom, Toilet Kitty seemed appropriate. Angry Donut is a cute little donut, and she is angry.

RDM

Toilet Kitty has a real name - Leonard - but as he lives in the bathroom, Toilet Kitty seemed appropriate. RDM

Leonard!!! - sorry RDM but that has made me smile!! :D:D

BTW - Twin Peaks - do you mean the Sci fi one about the death of Laura Palmer. I liked that if that's the one you meant but some of it i never did understand. :rolleyes:

Anyway back to the topic -

Holly was named after a BC we saw in a rescue home that was already reservered. She was lovely and made us want this breed so that is how we came to the name Holly. :D