BC Boards

Annual Check up

MagicGirl

I got in a habit with my last dog of taking her to the vets once a year wether she need anything or not. They did a physical exam and did blood work. Now this started because she had some health issues.

I am thinking about taking Magic every year also, but wether we just gets a physical exam or should we have the blood work done to. I go every year why not her.

I will of course ask my vet what she recommends but would like to hear what the rest of you do.

I take both the dog and the cat for yearly check-ups, just as DH and I go and as we always took the kids. I agree that the vet can spot things I wouldn't because I don't know what to look for.

I get blood work on Fergie because she has now gone about 2-5 years without needing vaccinations, other than law-required rabies, because her antibodies are great. Of course, she needs the heartworm check, and I have them check for Lyme's.

I have gotten Maggie vaccinated again this year. But next spring the kitty will get the full blood work.

Guest WoobiesMom

I try to get all the aminals in once a year for vacs, heartworm, overall checkup type thingie. Need to get the old cranky cat in for a teeth check up in the next week or so.

JJ, Jake and Tobi the cat go in once a year for their check-ups. They also go in if I think something's wrong. (For example when Jake had an ear infection.) If I don't suspect anything, it's just a normal check-up. If for any reason I feel uncomfortable, I have the vet do additional bloodwork. (For example when JJ was overweight, I had the vet check his thyroid which was normal. Turned out to be too many carbs in his diet. By lowering his carbs, increasing his protein and omega 3, he not only lost weight but he's no longer on allergy meds!)

We really don't do checkups, per se, but most of mine end up there at least once a year for one reason or another...usually in the spring/summer for foxtail removal from somewhere or for some other major ordeal that costs thousands of dollars. :rolleyes:

Anna

We usually end up visiting more than once a year for one thing or another. Of course now I work at a shelter with a vet on staff so it'll be even easier to get Maggie checked out as needed.

You guys all get a gold star!!! I'm proud of you! Animals age faster than we do and cannot self-report. They have no way to tell you if they are developing and arrythmia (or what have you).... but your vet does. This is why seeing your dog doc yearly is a great idea even if no vaccines, no meds and no bloods are scheduled. I can't even begin to estimate how many times I've either found something important on annual exam, OR seen a dog for something minor (like an ear infection or something) and - since I always do a full physical, even if it's "just here for the ears" - picked up something more important in the course of the exam.

My dogs, unfortunately for them, have to see the vet daily. Poor things. :rolleyes:

(Of course, if they're on Rx meds, they have to see a vet anyway to make the Rx legal... so I hope your vets are always doing good checkups regardless of why the dog is in.)

Mine go to get a heartworm/lyme test and for the vet to check them over. It never fails that one or more of mine need the vet somewhere around their annual checkup time, so I don't always have to make a separate trip for all four (I will double them up sometimes for routine vet visits, though), but if any of them haven't been, I take them sometime in April or May.

It works out well. I take them off heartworm preventative once the night temperatures dip below 60 degrees consistently and they get heartworm tests before the night temperatures are above 60 degrees consistently. Sammie is the exception since he goes with my husband in the tractor trailer truck throughout the winter and he can end up down south at any time. So, their vet checks happen just before I start preventative again.

Oh how I would love to have one annual visit!! Well, we do that for heartworm testing and preventative Rx in the spring. My oldsters (now 11+) are actually going in twice yearly, one for some re-testing (blood work) and the other for other minor issues. Hopefully the pup can deal with his annual only for awhile!

diane

All the dogs go for an annual checkup. They get their shots, get their hearts checked, etc. Except for Zachary, who is the old guy with the heart condition, etc. the other three haven't had more than one trip most years. {KNOCK ON WOOD}!!! And, since I have 3 on a pet insurance plan, I have to have an annual visit to keep the insurance - which I keep debating with myself - worth it....not worth it??? Sure as shootin' if I cancel it...I'll NEED IT :rolleyes:

Yep, annual check-ups for mine too - a little procession of the 2 dogs and 2 cats (used to be 4 cats). They all get the check-up, dogs get C5 vaccs (titre testing is only just coming in here now) Cats (11 and 18) weren't getting vaccs, but are the last couple of years since they've been boarded.

I have to admit my lovely vet skimped on taking Kirra's temp this time round - he took Fergus's, but Kirra has serious "white coat syndrome", and her heart was racing so much he figured, since she looked fine, and Fergus's temp was normal, he would let her off without taking hers! She was very, very grateful. We did our Endurance Test (20km in 2 hours) last year, and that required a pre-race check (heart rate and temp), then 4 checks before, during and after the test. Kirra was seriously not amused - screamed one time when the temp was taken, and heart rate shot up to 160 on another check when she realised the vet was there.

We normally have to go in for something or other as well during the year - the antique cat had 2 highly successful lump surgeries this past year, and the dogs had ortho injuries - fortunately nothing serious. And we pop into the vet office about every 3 or 4 weeks to have them on the scales in the waiting room.

Rudi who is 11 goes at least once a year but since we kennel them occasionally, she goes every 6 months for the bordetella thing (as does Lili) and our vet looks her over head to toe anyhow. But with Lili's GME treatments every 6 weeks, she gets a full exam each time - mainly neuro check and she gets her blood checked twice a year now too. So I do believe we are on top of the health and well being of our pooches!!! And Lili's credit card reflects that too but she's worth every penny spent (as is Rudi!).