BC Boards

Holy wowsers!

Note BC/LAB mix at 60lbs. Is there a pure BC that is at the 60lb mark and in shape that has been on this forum?

Yes

ThunderBolt is very much a pure BC, ISDS/ABCA and he weighed in at 60 1/2 lbs last time I weighed him.

Theres no fat on him, and as far as shape goes he is as buff as they come.

Tboltcollage.jpg

Jasmine (my merle bitch) weighed in at 50.40 lbs and she is pure BC ABCA

No fat on her,she is a big framed bitch

jasmine5month3.jpg

Lulu is my smallest bitch at 35.60 lbs pure BC/ABCAher smooth coat defines her body structure better then the rough coats of Tbolt and Jasmine.

Again no fat.

lulufeb3th.jpg

In Kelpies, you definitely see a cattle bred dogs being larger. Most males in or around 50 lbs, bitches in the 40s. Sheep bred Kelpies tend to run lighter- and some much lighter. I have two "show" Kelpies, one is 16.5" and she is 25 lbs. One is 18.5 and she is 33 lbs. My working Kelpie Lucy is 19.5" and weighs in at 28 lbs- she is VERY VERY fit. I don't know if cattle bred BC's are also larger, but I guess it would stand to reason- anyone know why? I would love to know. I prefer a lighter boned, but not overly so, lithe, fit dogs. Also, smoother coats :rolleyes:

big framed bitch

That's not quite the same phrase, but similar, that I read for the first time on this board when I wrote a post about Ling's weight, which I was unsure of for a while. She's a "BIG BODDIED BITCH" :rolleyes: (I love telling her that, hope she doesn't get a complex) She's almost 22" and weighed 48 for a while, then I dropped her down to 40, but she was way too skinny there. Now she's at 44 and very fit and lean, but you can't feel every bone in her body like you could at 40.

Anyway, the herding instructor I went to also explained that she's big bodied which just means she has a deeper chest and a little bigger frame than a lot of BCs. She also said she knew of a rancher with dogs that looked just like her, with the same build. I saw the difference really well when we had the West coast get together in Yachats and I compared her with River and Ollie.

So now if Bree ends up bigger than the top average 40lbs, you know what to call her!

I thought my puppy was small and younger when she showed up on my doorstep. She turned out to be working on 4-5 months with her adult teeth growing in. She weighed in at 26 pounds at the vet when i got her first shots....I'm not sure how to measure her height, though. Her ribs are easily felt. Guess I was wrong about her size :rolleyes: .....I feel like every time I see her after work that she's grown an inch. When I notice, I call her "tall girl"....she's all legs.

I think that argument about the big dog on the boards a while back was about the dog's actual appearance, plus the statement that the dog was 50ish pounds. There were pictures that showed the dog was not in the best condition if I remember correctly.

I had a female that was 51 pounds in top condition (full working condition).

This is her - you can see what a tall girl she is (Edit: the dog, not me!) :rolleyes: :

TrimFlyball.jpg

Ben was 49 pounds in his prime, and one time weighed in at a ripped 52 pounds. He's now lost a lot of muscle from laying around and is only 47 pounds. Scuse the mess in the background - we were remodeling an old house and were re-doing the kitchen floor - and Ben's a mess because we'd just worked for several hours in pouring rain and he looked so silly and happy I had to take a picture! :D

BenWorkHappyApril05.jpg

This dog was 65 to 67 pounds in HIS prime.

Hap5.jpg

This dog, that I owned for a short time, weighed about 53 pounds when he deigned to eat. He was hard to keep weight on.

RandomWalkMar2005.jpg

I've seen them "fighting fit" (great term for this Bill) from both cattle and sheep lines - 25 to 65 lbs, 16 inches to 26 inches tall. I've seen "pocket rockets" from all cattle lines, and the 65 lber was a superbly bred sheepdog. I've seen big dogs produce small ones, and little dog who produced pups that turned out to be giants.

If the pup is fit and growing steadily, then it is what it is. As for "big feet" I've had a litter here with feet that would be envied by a moose. They never caught up to them, just small-medium bodies, and BIG feet.

The smooth is the late Steve Clendenin's Hap. Hap was line bred to John Thomas' Craig on the top and back to Dryden Joe on the bottom through old Ettrick lines. Lots of Big Giant Dog in those lines. And yet, funny, here's a grandaughter of his:

Jen, 15 1/2 inches tall and 18 pounds soaking wet:

JenStand0805.jpg

Edited to add: Trim, the first female I pictured above, is the same height as your female (maybe half an inch shorter). Here she is next to Ben. They are laying down but you can see even laying down she's still visibly bigger than Ben. And everyone is always amazed at how tall Ben is. You know there's some people who always point to two dogs that look vaguely alike and ask, "Are they father/son?," or whatever? Those kind of people who point to Trim (female) and Ben (male) and say of Trim, "Is he, her (Ben's) daddy?" :rolleyes:

TrimBen.jpg

I just had to say Bill how happy I was to see that you still have your Molly with you. Having lost a dog to IMHA, I have to say she must be a tough old bird, bless her heart.

Yes, she's tougher than a boiled owl, blind as a bat (except for a little circle right in front of her nose, which still works just fine), and deaf as a stump. Still has a great time every day, except sometimes the stairs are a bit hard to negotiate.

Here's something funny, since I didn't quite know how to measure Sophie, I followed what you all said about shoulder height, and I used a 8.5x11 piece of paper (long wise) :rolleyes: ....I'm guessing she's 17ish inches tall.

Jen is happily chasing flocks of zillions of migratory birds off the runways at Charleston Air Force Base. I had a lot of offers from people who were intested in her as a flyball/agility dog of course, but she needed a ton of work and I was afraid being one of many athletic dogs in the household of someone who worked full time too, just wouldn't be enough. She didn't have enough to do HERE!

I wanted to keep her very badly, tried to make it work, rationalize it, but it came down to her not being able to make it as a useful farm dog, and my not having time to play with her in extracurricular activities. Not to mention the lack of money and the distance from any teams. Jen was getting more and more bored and she and Ann kept slipping out of the house and going and harassing the sheep.

When my friend offered her (and Ann) the chance to go chase birds, I knew it was perfect. It's like a thousand yard flyball course with 12,000 little (or big, like egrets) tennis balls, and no rules other than lying down, flanking, and coming when called. She lives full time with her handler off base, along with the other team dogs. Sometimes she travels to demos and sometimes Jen gets to do special meet and greet things during open houses and such.

My old Trim dog's career is coming to a close doing the same thing - she still works all day and plays Frisbee at night, but apparently her Frisbee sessions are a bit shorter and she's slowing down some at the end of the day. I can't believe she's almost eleven! She won a medal for her efforts contributing to the safety of pilots last year - I think it's hilarious that it says, "Safety is an Attitude" because that sure is Trim. She has the personality of a fighter pilot. She has gotten along very well in her surroundings.

trimandcoin.jpg

I'm proud of all my girls even though it's because as a sheepdog trainer I'm a great bird chasing trainer. :rolleyes: