BC Boards

The two by two weave method

Have any of you used the two by two method for training weaves?

I need to retrain Maddie's weaves. She simply doesn't see the point of weave poles. She originally learned with weave wires and was at the point this past winter where she didn't need them anymore. But this has really fallen apart.

I've played around with the two by two method and she really likes it.

Have any of you had success with it?

Are you talking about the macaroni type method? That's pretty much what I did with Maggie - clicked for successful performance of 2 poles, then three, then four and so on, so probably not quite 2 by 2? It worked very well for us - Maggie actually has sucked into the weaves in practice before which not many dogs will do. :rolleyes:

Are you talking about the macaroni type method? That's pretty much what I did with Maggie - clicked for successful performance of 2 poles, then three, then four and so on, so probably not quite 2 by 2? It worked very well for us - Maggie actually has sucked into the weaves in practice before which not many dogs will do. :rolleyes:

I think it's a little different.

You start with two sets of two poles, but you smoosh them together. You shape the dog going directly away from you through the two poles.

Once that's solid, you move the the second set slightly away from the first set lined up perfectly - not weave-pole style but as if the dog were running through two football goals. As the dog runs through the two, you throw a toy or something.

You gradually move the second set away from the first until it's a few feet out and the dog knows to run straight through both.

Then you put the two sets back together and move the poles into a slight angle. You move it so the pole further away is the one on the right, so the dog will run into this with the first pole on the left.

You do the same thing now with both sets of poles at this slight angle.

Then you gradually move them until there are two sets of poles in a straight line away - like weave poles, but still a few feet apart.

The idea is to teach your dog to enter the first set of two correctly and then immediately enter another set of two directly, but you are out of the picture except to send the dog to them and then reward at the end.

Eventually you would move the two sets of poles together into weave poles and the dog will enter, enter to weave correctly.

Then you add on more sets, etc.

I have done the first step with both Dean and Maddie and they both get it and love it. If nothing else, it helps the dog learn to drive away from you when sent to the poles.

I am just about ready to start the part where the poles are slightly turned back together again.

This was the first method I tried and Chaos didn't seem to get it. I'm sure it's just me. Any tips? :rolleyes:

I would start with one set of two and really shape having the dog run straight way from you and through them and get it really solid before even adding the second set if the dog didn't get it at first.

I would also use an intermediary cue (like bongo or something otherwise nonsensical) to teach the dog that the behavior of running straight away is a specific behavior.

If your dog targets, you could start this by setting a target out beyond the two poles and start the dog up close to them so he or she has to go through the poles to target.

I found with Maddie, Dean, and Speedy that once they figured out that they were going to get major rewards for running straight through the poles, adding the second set and starting the process of moving the second set away is easy.

I also found that moving from a target to a thrown toy as a reward once the dog got the idea helped a lot.

The thing I really like about this method is the range of training skills that I can use to work toward the final behavior.

I've played around with the two by two method and she really likes it.

Have any of you had success with it?

I taught the 2 x 2 method with my last two dogs and really like it. I also really like the weavamatics, but I love the way Imy dogs get so much drive, frustration tolerance and independent obstacle performance with 2 x 2. I'm sure you can get all that with any method (I've seen some fantastic weaves on dogs who were lure taught) but 2 x 2 works well for me. The only small snag I've run into is because I am so much NOT a part of the picture, when my dog has run into a problem, there really isn't anything I can do to help him other than encourage and resend. I've had a few people yell at me to "help" my dog when he was figuring out a new set of poles and footwork early on in his training. I can assist a little with an easier angle of entry but that's about it.

I love the frustation tolerance I see with 2 x 2. Its the only performance I never hesitate to have my dog redo without worrying about demotivating or making him too careful.