BC Boards

Why does my BC hate only one person?

There is this lady that comes to my work to check out Karl (my dog) everyday, but Karl for some reason growls at her, shows his teeth and barks like a mad man at her. This poor lady just loves dogs and just wants to say hi to him. I have been working with Karl to be kind to this woman , but was just curious, why in the world does he particularly dislikes this person? :rolleyes:

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
There is this lady that comes to my work to check out Karl (my dog) everyday, but Karl for some reason growls at her, shows his teeth and barks like a mad man at her. This poor lady just loves dogs and just wants to say hi to him. I have been working with Karl to be kind to this woman , but was just curious, why in the world does he particularly dislikes this person? :rolleyes:

This is how Freckles is with Grandpa. It IS his fault though.... He raised his cane at her the first week we got her a few times for barking, now, six months later, she still hates him

Guest WoobiesMom

If she really likes dogs, maybe she'd be willing to try a Cesar Milan trick for meeting someone. No touch, no talk, no eye contact. Maybe when she comes in, she could completely ignore him and just drop some yummy meat around and let him show interest in her as he is comfy with. Even if he doesn't initially respond well, if she ignores him and just drops meat and goes, he may begin to form a new impression of her.

Good luck! I have the same type problem w/our trainer. After 6 mos. Woobie still won't go near him. But he's very dominant and intimidating so that's another story....

Whisper does not like anyone wearing hats. As soon as they take off their hat, she is okay, but hats are evil, vile things that must be vanquished. She is a fear-biter, too, so I must be vigilant and warn people away. I never take her to dog parks, and rarely to Petsmart (the last time I went was at the last holiday season and Santa came up to us before I could warn him-she barked her most serious bark--luckily he was dog-savvy enough to stop dead in his tracks and neither approach nor back off. I made her sit by my side and while she was still excited, she sat for me until Santa walked away. I don't take her out into public places like that too often; I need to get with a trainer/behaviorist to work on some of her issues).

although the woman loves dogs it may be that something in her demenor or approach is setting you guy off. Too much eye contact, too up right posture, getting into his "space", maybe she just smells "wrong" to him. Dogs are so good at reading body language and smells its hard to tell sometimes just what is going on because we dont see what they are reading.