BC Boards

I am so sad.......

Guest WoobiesMom

I agree with what everyone else has been saying. In my house, we have 3 females and 2 males. Presley, our smallest female Sheltie, is definitely the alpha and she doesn't hesitate to show that. Now, we've not had any full blown fights between the girls, but they do get rough with each other at times. Here you can see what I mean about Presley showing her standing...

DreamerPresley9-13-07.jpgHatefulPresNykie9-11-07.jpg

RainPresley18-18-07.jpgHatefulPresRain9-11-07.jpg

She may be the smallest, but she's the most evil! :rolleyes: Anyway, in my experience of living with dogs for 30+years and doing 10+years of rescue work, I've found that I've had very few problems with multiple males compared to having multiple females, which is what a lot of others have said.

I think you did the right thing. You have to go with one that fits your family and lifestyle. Not every one will, but there is one out there for you. :D I'm really happy that you considered a "special needs" baby. So many people won't, which I always had a soft spot for them. Even though I love them, I knew that I couldn't take one in when I was expecting my daughter. That's how Nykie and Rain came here. Both had previous owners that couldn't handle them, so they came to us, but I did have to take into considerations the dogs that we already lived with, plus my daughter and my husband. I can handle most dogs, but my husband never really lived with dogs until we got together. Not dogs in the house anyway, and he never did any training, so he's still learning. :D Of course, our daughter can't handle them right now either, considering she's only a year old. So, I do understand completely why you made the decision you did and I think it was the right one. :D

I'm so sorry it didn't work out. I just loved my 5 females, but they definitely had a packing order. They knew their place and it worked out fine. My male was just happy to be around. The right one will come around for you and you'll know it right away. Good luck in your search.

Guest WoobiesMom

Thank you all so much. I remain hopeful that the right dog will come along at the right time. I'm keeping in touch so I can find out how Sierra does. I'm sending her all the good "find a home" vibes I can, please do the same. :rolleyes:

Spent most of the ride home crying and I feel terrible that I'm not one of those "we'll face anything that comes along" types who could just scoop her up and make it work.

I just have to totally second what mojo said. You gave it a go and sounds to me like you made the right decision. I commend your honesty with yourself and with seeing the reality of the situation. I tend to try and overcome doubts and feelings and would like to be that "we'll face anything" type too--- sometimes listening to my instinct seems to be a real challenge. I've learned this through my special needs dog. He has taught me this... and know that while he's better off than he was by far, there probably were much better situations he could've been in.

best of luck in your continued search.

kim