BC Boards

NC BC Boards Get Together

It's time to start planning! Yup, with a dusting of snow on the ground it's time to start dreaming of green fields and warm sunshine and the ol' swimmin' hole!

This year I'd propose we either do this in mid May (19th?) or early June (up to Father's Day). So far we are good for sheepdog trial dates for that period. You are on your own with regard to conflicts with flyball, agility, etc. :rolleyes:

This year we'll offer a somewhat more formal sheep working clinic with someone to be announced, for a small charge. Any other ideas are welcome. I liked last year's format for lunch with the potluck.

Another new thing this year, is that my landlord is willing to rent his hunting cabins (there are three) for a reasonable price still to be determined. This will allow for more out of towners to join us, I hope. I'm going to point out that a furnished room in Danville goes for $50 (including a full breakfast) so I'm hoping he would quote me something competive, lol. Split a few ways, that would be very reasonable for dog-friendly lodgings less than a mile from here. As always there is also room to camp.

Dare I say, without even telling DH, that we have a guest room with twin beds here in Durham. No fenced yard. But we are on ~an acre and have ~8 acres of common land with a good pond just around the corner.

DH will no longer allow food-protective dogs, since he had the surgery on his thumb for infection from my bother's husky. I still think that putting his hand between dogs was dumb.

BTW, guess I won't waste money on putting Fergie to sheep - those furry deer that she, as usual, just walked up to and greeted.

Well I'm gonna put my two cents in....EVERYONE that attends HAS to (this is a requirement) bring a camera and take tons of pictures and post for those of us who are really too far away. :rolleyes:

I've enjoyed the details on the get-togethers in the past but I have to say that not nearly enough pics were posted for us. :D

So pretty please give us lots and lots of pictures!!! Oh, and enjoy the party!!!

I wish there could be a northwest or southwest (since I flip-flop between the two) get-together. :rolleyes: I don't know any BC people around here.

Gah. I want to go. Maybe this could be an excuse for me to travel a bit more? *vbg* I do want to get my driver's license this year and when I do, a road trip will be in order. I think Dakota and Eve would love it.

This may affect only me, and then only if I get in, but the Bluegrass is May 16-20. I'd be sad to miss the picnic, but I'm sure y'all will survive without me if May 19th ends up being the date of choice (and of course if there's a Bluegrass lottery, which I'm sure there will be, and I *don't* get in, then I'll be at Becca's with bells on!). I don't think Roy Johnson is having his June trial, and I don't know of any other potential trial conflicts in May or June (though some may pop up as people search for points for the finals).

J.

Yes, I had Dr. Ben's in mind which is why I didn't propose Memorial Day weekend right off.

Maria, I'm awfully sorry, but we have a running commitment ourselves on Sunday - Patrick is a Sunday school teacher and we can't justify asking off for something like this (much as we love y'all). You shoulda come down for the clinic! Maybe next time.

So, first weekend in June? That would work just fine for me. Unless we have a really wacky year we shouldn't be too hot yet at that time. Well, hot for me, I'm not making any promises for you, Laura! :rolleyes:

All right, so we have six months to get our acts together. There's a slight possibility I will be shearing also that weekend but I'm sure no one would mind this turning into one of the entertainments of the day. It doesn't take long to get through the sheep I've got here.

I've already marked my calendar. :rolleyes: Are we talking about just the Saturday? Or is it more than a one day thing?

Violet and I will be there and maybe little Faith as well if I can teach her to keep her mouth shut by then. LOL, she takes after me, always mouthing off.

The first week-end in June looks good to me. The second week-end would be a problem because we girls all do the Komen Race for the Cure in Raleigh (that includes Fergie, with a registration and number).

**slight hijack of thread**

Becca,

I'm trying to arrange shearing at the end of April if you're interested in being tacked on to that project. We can't wait as late as June because of the sheep that need shearing twice a year (plus we want to be able to deliver fleeces to the carding mill at the MD Sheep & Wool Festival in May). Anyway, let me know if you're interested in an April shearing date. **End of hijack**

Hmmm...I had forgotten about the sheep & wool festival the first weekend in May and the SE Tunis Breeders tunis trade day the following weekend (Becca, if you decide on tunis, you may want to make the trip to Wytheville, VA, for this), so the beginning of June is looking even better for me. Are we talking 2 June or 9 June?

ETA: Oops, looks like Nancy has a conflict the second weekend, so are we saying 2 June?

J.

2 June looks good! That was actually what I had in mind. I need some space to get PJ's birthday in.

Julie, absolutely count me in for shearing. I was just saying in case the April date didn't work out - I'd go in with Colin and a couple other people up here who work with Kevin, like I did last year. June was when I did it last year. I'll probably hand shear the ones that need it before April (sheep I've bought in like Handsome), and certainly before June.