BC Boards

Is Cody A. lazy B. stubborn C. hot D. sick or E. all?

Hi,

Cody and DH and I walk three times a day through our large neighborhood, with Cody on leash. Normally after the day when he's been left alone in a small contained area (laundry room, back foyer) and has slept most of the day, he's raring to go for that late afternoon walk.

But not the last week or so. He was on medication for the snakebite to his paw, but that is all over now although he may still have some residual antibiotic and such in his system.

Now, on those afternoon walks, he stops. Then lays down. On a lawn, on a sidewalk, wherever. I pull and pull but he doesn't want to get up and keep walking. After about 1/2 mile of this nonsense, I decide to turn around and head home. THEN he becomes an active, energetic, PULL the leash-IWANTTOGOHOME dog.

What's up with that? And do I continue to insist on walking even though I am basically pulling on his collar and I think hurting him, especially when he's laying or sitting down on someone's yard?

By the way, it's hot but NOT the steam-oven 100 degrees we had in early August. It's still in the 90's but not broiling hot at that time.

First, I'd ask the vet. Snake bite is often odd. I know that lethargy was something to watch for as a negative.

Then, if it isn't that, consider the overall weather. Fergie is way logier in humidity than in heat. Me too. The 90s are still hot, and the humidity makes you feel that you have to slog instead of walk.

It's interesting that he will eagerly walk home. It might be a fear thing. I wonder what would happen if you drove to a neighborhood he hadn't seen before and walked him around there.

The interesting thing is that he LOVES his morning and evening walks through our neighborhood. Never a problem. It's just the late afternoon walk. He hasn't been fearful of anything during any other walks...hmmm...

But maybe a change of location, a different neighborhood, may make it more interesting.

Guest WoobiesMom

Hmm, how old is he? Maybe he just hasn't built back up his stamina from the snake bite. He may have enough energy for the morning (after all night resting) and the evening (after day resting) but just isn't up to 3 walks a day yet.

Karen, I might be wrong but I'm thinking he might be bored. When you guys came over for a playdate he wasn't as active as JJ and Jake until we pulled out the kiddie pool. He suddenly found some energy from somewhere!! A walk in a different neighborhood would probably work to.

I'm with the fear issue. Change of venue will be good for that regardless of the question of boredom...distraction from the unknown fear triggers that have been established as a result of the injury are good. For Meg its easy because you can 'see' her objects eliciting fear. She becomes heavier than an stubborn Bassett Hound when she's afraid....digs in...bleeping Sherman Tank.

and....the stamina issue.....

After Meg had several puppy related illinesses in a row with various meds...she never regained her stamina with respect to heat. At 72 degrees she downs after only 10 minutes of hard running to recover. The building back of stanmina is happening but it is taking a year..... In the cold/wet she is indefatiguable and I have be careful not to let her overwork/play.

I agree that it might be a stamina issue. My old dog (not a BC) would do this. When she thought we'd gone far enough, she'd start on the tired dog act: "Oh, I'm so exhausted, look how I'm just dragging myself along in your footsteps, honestly I can't lift another paw...". So we'd turn around and head back, and within a hundred yards or so, it'd be "Oh boy, squirrel! Chase it!"

Karen,

How is Cody doing? Were you able to find a different route to walk?

I don't know if you've heard but they are going to have an "All American Dog Show" at Bailey Park Rd on 9/22. Cody might enjoy going if you guys don't have any plans that day.

Hi,

Cody is getting much more energetic again. He went in for his annual exam last Saturday at the vet, who said the Prednisole (sp?) he had been taking can take up to two weeks from the finish date to get out of his system. He also said that sometimes makes dogs lethargic. It's now been two weeks Friday, so I do already see his "comeback".

However, since the snakebite incident he is VERY indifferent to other dogs (and little kids) once he meets them when he's on leash. He's interested when they are approaching, but once they have sniffed, he turns his back on them and lays down, waiting to leave. That is definitely a personality change for him.

To Brenda -- I would love to have gone to that with Cody, but already have a commitment for that day...thanks though and have fun!