BC Boards

Should I move the crate from room to room?

Hi everyone,

Hope you can help me. We got Princey 1 week ago. I've been crate training him through the nights and that's been going great. He sleeps in his crate at the side of my bed, wakes me at around 4:30am to go out and then goes right back to sleep.

My problem is during the day. I work in my house and have been too guilty to put him in his crate, so I keep him with me. Problem is, each time I give him a little freedom, he finds a spot out of my site and has an accident (which BTW, is very, very loose and is very camoflaged in my area rug).

Would it be best for me to keep him in the crate for periods of time during the day (like while I'm working)? Should I leave the crate in my bedroom? Should I move the crate from the bedroom to the TV room where I have my office set up and then move the crate back to my bedroom at night? :rolleyes:

PS. I've searched through previous topics and haven't seen this specific issue . . . Thx, Rubzoe

post-6208-1188868840_thumb.jpg

When Speedy was a puppy, we lived in a big house with tons of stairs. His crate was in our bedroom, and I had the same sort of situation - he needed restraint sometimes downstairs. I ended up getting him a small crate for downstairs and that worked out well. I could pop him into it while I had both of my hands full without having to move the big one.

Guest WoobiesMom

Walmart has pop-up crates made of tent material with mesh sides for about $15. Woobie is afraid of the one I got but the cats love to sleep in there. It's lightweight, folds flat (like the car sun shields) and can be carted from room to room easily.

You could also set up an ex-pen (sort of a playpen for pups) downstairs if you don't want to crate, this way he has the ability to move around but cant get out of your sight to make deposits.

Walmart has pop-up crates made of tent material with mesh sides for about $15. Woobie is afraid of the one I got but the cats love to sleep in there. It's lightweight, folds flat (like the car sun shields) and can be carted from room to room easily.

Thanks for the great recommendations. I'm going to check out some of the pet stores for a crate like the one you mentioned or a pen of some sort. Believe it or not there are no Walmarts within a 25 mile radius of my home.