BC Boards

Soldier Hollow Classic, Labor Day Weekend

Those are very interesting pictures. Is Solo related to the other two red dogs? Sure look like cousins!

Whoever's going to Soldier Hollow this year, look for me! I'm the goofy-lookin' woman horsing around with the white dog in the second-to-last picture of the 2006 album (I posted the link in an earlier post in this thread).

Solo and Farleigh look a LOT alike, except that Farleigh is more kind of square in all aspects (he stands a bit taller; his ears stand up straight, that kind of thing; in comparison Solo is kind of askew) and I always thought that Jill is what Solo would have looked like without a Y chromosome and testosterone. I can't remember if they're actually related to each other in any significant way. If I remember correctly, Farleigh is mostly related to himself. :rolleyes: Solo goes back to Brady's Jim three times so that makes him related to half the dogs on the east coast.

I should be pretty easy to find at Soldier Hollow. We'll have a booth. I'll be wandering around and watching the trial. I'll also be circulating around the AHBA trial being held on the grounds to get dogs from there.

If I remember correctly, Farleigh is mostly related to himself. :D

LOL! Isn't that the truth. The nonbranching family tree--that's Farleigh. :rolleyes: (He's an uncle-niece breeding, so his sire's pedigree is the exact same as his dam's sire's--IIRC w/o actually looking at the paper.) Farleigh and Jill probably are related well back in their pedigrees, since they come from the same breeder's lines, and he does a lot of line breeding, and I don't think there's any Brady's Jim anywhere in that line, since it mainly goes back to John Thomas' Don. That said, Farleigh appears to have been backyard bred by two folks who both had dogs from the same breeder and who may not have been as thoughtful with the cross as someone else might have been. Jan, in case you were wondering, Farleigh, aka Snarley Farliegh and Freaky Farleigh, is *my* crazy red dog (but he sure is purty!). Everybody should have one.

FYI, Jill is in the middle, and Farleigh is on the Melanie's far left. My two look enough alike that people who don't know them well tend to mix them up. I've been known to mistake one for the other when walking them at night, for example, at a trial. They're actually sort of mirror images, because neither's white neck ruff goes all the way around--Farleigh's goes up on his left side and stops somewhere near the middle of the back of his neck, and Jill's goes up on her right side and stops in the middle. I call them my bookends. (Of course Jill was a successful open trial dog, and Farleigh has some natural ability but never wanted a human involved with the stockwork.)

J.

I am actually sort of interested in looking at the "red dog stereotype." It's common enough across breeds that you start wondering if there's fire where there's smoke. On the other hand, red seems to be an "off" color in most of the breeds the stereotype occurs in (it's recessive, and less common, and to get it consistently you have to select for it on purpose) so it could be due to color breeding. But seriously, even the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel people think the red ones are weird, and I can't think of a less behaviorally noteworthy breed than Cavs, so...