BC Boards

What is the "right" age to neuter a male puppy?

Hi,

Cody is 14 weeks and the vet said he is okay to neuter at 16 weeks. I think that sounds kind of early. What is the best age to neuter? We are not interested in breeding him, he's just a family member. He is starting to pee and mark at almost every house on the block, and is definitely starting to "develop".

Thanks for any advice.

If you use the search function up above...I know this issue has been discussed numerous times and I'm sure it is all still valid information. Let me know if you need help using this great tool!!!!

As far as "marking"...when I walk my dogs, Keegan insists on lifting his leg but I keep on walking. Walking is for walking and potty time is for potty time...they are two different things in my book. He has learned that if we are on a walk and he really has to go (which is only #2 because I let him pee at the very beginning)...he has learned to squat really fast so that I know he means "business". If he stops to lift his leg...I keep on moving.

Both of my two (a male and female) were both fixed at four mos. Now the vet says that this will stop marking behavior in both genders, and leg lifting in males.

However Poppy just started recenlty lifting his leg and Pepper has been marking for awhile.

So so much for that! But they say the earlier you fix them the better...

I just had Flash and Thunder done 3 weeks ago and they're now about 7 1/2 months (give or take - hard to know exactly when they're rescues). They had both already learned to lift their leg, but they don't go around marking everything in sight.

If you read anything by dog trainer and mystery author Lee Charles Kelley, he says never. We've had 2 neutered and still have 2 intact males and as far as sniffing and marking, there seemed to be no difference in their behaviors. (One was neutered at 6 months and died of bone cancer--mentioned as a sometime side effect of early neutering; the other was neutered at 2 years.)

Barb S

We neutered Speedy when he was 6 months old. He has never lifted his leg or marked.

Sometimes I wish I had waited until he was closer to 1 year old, though. If I raise another puppy in the future, I will probably wait until closer to 1 year to neuter.

I am looking forward to have Troy neutered. He is 8 months old, but so far, there is no marking or leg lifting.

I posted the same question a few weeks ago and I got lots of info on this particular issue.

From what I learned, there is no "good age" to have your puppy neutered. It is just a matter of who and how it is done. Any good vet should perform the operation easily and painlessly.

After the op, you should wait at least 4 days before any exercise and keep cleaning the area until the stitches are removed.

Later.

Al.

While on this subject, what is everyone's experience with how dogs react to the surgery at different ages? My own males have always been neutered at 5 1/2-7 months, and have had no problems, in fact they hardly seemed to notice what they've been through. Very little licking, no chewing, and hard to keep them settled down and taking it easy for a while. Yet a friend of mine seemed to think I should be prepared with e-collars and expect them to try to rip out their stitches. Her experience is often with older, mature dogs because she is involved in rescue. This makes me wonder if a mature dog is neutered, does it bother him more and take longer for recovery?

Both in fosters and in my own dogs, I have not noted any more problmes with licking or chewing, etc. when the dogs are neutered as adults. Puppies generally recover quicker from anethesia than older dogs. However, some of the behaviors - marking, mounting, etc. - have already been learned by the adult dogs and the behaviors sometimes remain intact even after neutering.

There is some good evidence that early neutering affects growth of the long bones and the dog's ultimate height. The growth plates of the bones remain active longer in early neutered dogs, so the dog grows taller, more slender, with longer limbs. This MAY predispose a very active dog to some kinds of injuries and joint disorders.

This view remains controversial. Here is a link to a site that gives evidence for benefits of later neutering:

http://www.caninesports.com/SpayNeuter.html

--Michael

Early neuter in this context means pediatric neuter, I believe. The dog will end up taller and won't develop some secondary sex characteristics (broader head, heavier bone, neck ruff, etc.). The pediatric neuter dogs I know are perfectly handsome and healthy.

I don't think there are any particular health detriments associated with early neuter. For aesthetic reasons (as in, I like for male dogs to look male) I would prefer to neuter after a dog has matured physical maturity, but that is a purely personal preference and requires a certain amount of vigilance and responsibility that are obviated by neutering. Also, in the grand scheme of things Border Collies are not terribly sexually dimorphic (like some of the larger breeds or hounds might be) and there are plenty of intact males that don't look all that big or manly anyway, so to each her own.

Originally posted by Barb Scott:

If you read anything by dog trainer and mystery author Lee Charles Kelley, he says never. We've had 2 neutered and still have 2 intact males and as far as sniffing and marking, there seemed to be no difference in their behaviors. (One was neutered at 6 months and died of bone cancer--mentioned as a sometime side effect of early neutering; the other was neutered at 2 years.)

Barb S

Are you suggesting never neutering?

If you want just a pet, I would consider mainly health issueas as I am learning on this topic myself, but if you are looking to work your dog ot to do sports with him I would suggest to wait at least until 18-24 months old, until he could mature behauviory talking.

I spayed my female at 7 months old and I still regrets it, because she is the eternal puppy with absolutey none hierarchy drive and patologically friendly with dogs and humans. As a pet she would be a dream, but in its moment I needed a dog who fighted by the things it wanted. She also used to be a secure pup with an excelent socialization since 15 days old, but after her second fear period she remained noise sensitive and I'm still not 100% sure about how much it is genetic or could have been agravated by the neutering.