BC Boards

Riven + other dogs = Humiliation for me

OK, I am glad you are using a leather buckle instead of the choker! I personally think chokers should be trashed.

Here's some thoughts;

Have you tried taking Riven to a class and not asking her to do anything? Just be there, let he look, bark, whine, whatever but don't ask her to "do" anything. It sounds to me like she has no mental control and when a dog is in this state they can't learn. So, just sit there, may take a month may take longer, but be patient. Then start slowly asking her to do the simplest thing that you "think" she can do blindfolded at home - sit. Maybe do one or two and quit. The key is to quit "before" she gets into overload. Then go home - you're done. Keep this up in incremental steps depending upon what she can handle. You have to go at a pace she can grasp, not your pace, hers. Don't avoid other dogs, just don't ask for something she can't deliver.

Not all dogs are born to do what they're owners got them for, you have to know your dog, build the relationship and grow from there. Maybe set a goal of a CGC? Believe me, I had one that couldn't do the CGC but Utility was a walk in the park for him (don't touch his feet!). Take time, read her and stop before she gets mentally out of control, even if that means getting out of the car, petting her and turning around and going right back home!

As to the sled dog impersonation....get some skis :rolleyes:

Or, try squirt cheese, take a step, say her name, when she looks at you give her some cheese. Say her name though before she get to the end of the lead! Increase again say half a step, say her name, give her a squirt. You get the idea - building steps one at a time. If she can't do it wherever you go then start at home and develop it into a conditioned response. I won't "correct" until I know my dogs know what I am asking of them - so this is luring the behavior until you feel ready to move on.

Most of all don't get frustrated with her, that equals you being out of mental control and she looks to you to be the leader. I might just not take the classes but show up and do what you can with her for 5 minutes, building it up and work on "her" instead of the class.

Karen