BC Boards

Has anyone read this book?

I was surfing on the Border Collies in Action website under "new items" and saw a book by Harford Logan, Over the Hills and Far Away and was wondering if anyone here had read it? It looks like it could be interesting and I was thinking of ordering it, but was curious if anyone has any opinions.

J.

I believe a friend of mine read it and liked it. One I need to borrow :rolleyes: I'm all tickled as a couple of days ago I got a steal on ebay, Sheep dogs and their Masters by John Herries McCulloch. 2nd Edition in great shape, $6.00 ;-) The cheapest I've seen it other places was $115...plus its a really good read. Gotta love ebay!

Little Bo Boop,

I was also looking at that one and thinking of adding it to my library. Good to know you liked it.

Diane,

You might want to do a search on Jon Katz under the general discussion and possibly Politics & Culture. He is not well liked by many members of this board.

J.

Yeah Julie I think you'd really like it. Has a lot of neat old stories about famous dogs and handlers and trials. Very cool blk/wht (obviously) pics of dogs and trials...and my book has a little pull out pedigree in the back thats kind of neat too....if I'm not mistaken don't they have that book out in paperback now? I thought I saw it at a Border Collie site, but I think it was out of stock?

Betty

Julie, I haven't read it -- I think it's pretty new -- but I'd be interested in reading it. I would expect Harford Logan to have good stuff to say.

I think Sheep Dogs and Their Masters is well worth having. Unless you're a collector and want one of the older editions, I think Dee Woessner is still selling the reprints (good quality trade paperback) through Toft East Publishing for $15 or so.

Little Bo Boop,

I was also looking at that one and thinking of adding it to my library. Good to know you liked it.

Diane,

You might want to do a search on Jon Katz under the general discussion and possibly Politics & Culture. He is not well liked by many members of this board.

J.

Really? Is there a reason? I've only read one of his books, just because my MIL gave me the book. Maybe I shouldn't bother with his others, then.

Really? Is there a reason? I've only read one of his books, just because my MIL gave me the book. Maybe I shouldn't bother with his others, then.

If you do the search it will be pretty self-explanatory :rolleyes: . There are several detailed threads full of good reasons why he and his books leave much to be desired.

Julie - i've got the McCullough book if you want to borrow it to see if you want to add it to your collection. I've got some pretty neat old ones, used to buy any of the older ones i could find on ebay. I had no idea the older edition had gotten so expensive!

Luv

I read Katz book "A Dog Year" and loved it. It was one of the reasons I ended up buying Ruger. Katz may be a complete idiot on dogs, I don't know, but all I do know is that he influenced me. Katz is one of the two topics I have found on this board to best stay away from. :rolleyes:

Katz is one of the two topics I have found on this board to best stay away from.

And the other???? :rolleyes:

Anna

If what you got out of reading Katz is that you might like a BC, that appears to have worked for you (obviously). :rolleyes: If what you got out of reading Katz was that he was anything but (at best) misguided and (at worst) seriously negligent in his management and/or training of the dogs, I'd urge you to reconsider. Also, I STILL (and always will) have a significant problem with him dispensing medical advice and/or opinions without the slightest credentials to do so. He does harm all over the place with his opinions on rescue dogs, on geriatric dogs, on training stockdogs, on managing dogs, on any number of things.

But like I say.... if what you got from reading Katz was that you'd be interested in a BC, then you apparantly got a message that worked for you, and that much I'm sure neither you nor Ruger (nor anyone here) regret. But if it were me, after that message I'd stick my fingers in my ears and go "Lalalalala, I can't year you!" and swear on a stack of dog toys that you'll never never euthanise a dog just because it's 8 years old. (Amongst other things to swear you'll never do....)

While on the subject, has anyone taken the time to read David Kennard's books, A Shepherd's Watch and The Dogs of Windcutter Down? I found them intriguing, enlightening and a very inspiring yet down-to-earth perspective of of raising stockdogs and managing a flock of nearly 1,000 sheep in North Devon, England, and trialing in national and international herding competition. As I know a limited amount about training a working dog(that's subject to change...), I'm only soaking in the information and can't yet recognize the subtle difference in training techniques that may be frowned upon, as was simple with Katz, but he seems to be profficient and knowledgable...the working relationships he maintains with his dogs continuously reminded me of the bonds I have with my own and I only look forward more to permanently entering the world of herding because of Kennard's insightful works.

I'm only soaking in the information and can't yet recognize the subtle difference in training techniques that may be frowned upon, as was simple with Katz, but he seems to be profficient and knowledgable.

ClickMeBC: Are you ever in trouble now. Don't say I didn't warn you. :rolleyes:

ClickMeBC: Are you ever in trouble now. Don't say I didn't warn you. :D

No, I did not mean Katz! I was referring to KENNARD, most definitely NOT Katz. What I meant was that with Katz it was easy to find fault, but because I know little of herding I failed to find any with Kennard. Thank you, Devi, for recognizing that! :D

Yikes...I hope it wasn't misenterpreted by any others. :rolleyes: I state now that I'm firmly against Katz and do not approve of his methods.

Where can you find that book my Mrs. Mconnell? I have been trying to find it everywhere and I still can't. I think it was "for the love of a dog"? I'm not sure on that though.