BC Boards

Adding the Second Dog

Guest LJS1993

Sometimes when a dog gets around sheep for the first time it can be pretty stressful which can lead to diarrhea. Not the training per say but the whole experience. Then as they get a bit of experience on them it can be the stress of training pressure which might cause at least that evenings loose bowels. Eating sheep poo might cause a bit but not to much unless they eat loads. Then you add your new wee one and that's a bit more stress. So there you go....loose poop! If the vet saw no issues that's what I'd likely chalk it up to.

I guess this is probably a moot point by now, but that's what I'd chalk it up to, also. Had a similar experience myself.

Give Freckles time, it sounds like she's doing fine.

Guest LJS1993
I think I must have missed something along the way, so forgive me for asking if this has already been answered somewhere, but where did y'all get Freckles? Was she from a rescue or a breeder?

J.

We got Freckles from a ranch in Bakersfield. Real nice people who also has some Aussies.

Just an fyi - scruffing may make resource guarding worse - I think your best bet will be teaching him to exchange things he likes for another toy or treat. You don't want him thinking that you being around his food = bad things happening; you can also try just walking by and dropping a yummy treat in his bowl to solidify the "person by food = good things for puppies" idea as well.

Guest LJS1993
Thanks. Is she spayed already? If not, you'll need to be extra careful keeping her in a pen with an intact male, even if it's a pup.

J.

As my fiance stated she is definately spayed. Furthermore Tucker is getting neutered at the standard time period. I have no intentions of studding him or anything of the sort.

I agree with definitely not scruffing. That could make guarding much worse and put him even more on the defense. You can also play the "trading game" where you take his food away and give him an even better treat, and I bet he will back off a little with more trust that nothing bad will happen when he gets his food taken away. Dogs are scavengers by nature and it's not surprising when a dog starts that behavior.

Guest LJS1993
I agree with definitely not scruffing. That could make guarding much worse and put him even more on the defense. You can also play the "trading game" where you take his food away and give him an even better treat, and I bet he will back off a little with more trust that nothing bad will happen when he gets his food taken away. Dogs are scavengers by nature and it's not surprising when a dog starts that behavior.

I will give it a try. :rolleyes:

Guest LJS1993

Tried it and it went well. I used a treat instead and it went great. He calmly let me get to his food, took the tiny piece of treat, then went back to his food after my hand was removed.