BC Boards

My Poor Boy!!

Just had a baby, so haven't been up to the barn too often lately. Our BCs stay up there 24/7. Anyway, made time today to wash the boys while hubs sat with the baby. Pete was unusually wonderful for his bath. He is usually a hose biter, and very annoying! When I was done I released him and he didn't leave! What the heck?! They usually take off and do silly circles. He acted like he didn't want to walk. I noticed the growth on his foot (that I have been putting off having checked) has gotten bigger, and looked almost blood blister red. I felt like a terrible momma! But then, as I watched him, it almost looked like his back or his neck hurt. Maybe a hip. He just didn't look right. Painful to walk. Wouldn't shake off his water until he got back to his barn. He usually shakes and runs. I am going to take him in to the vet tomorrow and hope they just remove his growth and say that was his problem.

So I say to hubby, have you noticed Pete is off? He says no, I haven't paid them any attention! WHAT?! My babies! I was atleast hoping he would tell me he got kicked, or stepped on. Then I could say ok, that explains it, he will be fine. But nothing. When it is so hot, the boys usually don't come out until late evening or very early a.m. You can just see them in the parking barn under the horse trailers. They don't bother coming out unless you call. But for God's sake, doesn't he notice when he feeds them!?

Now I am scared to death the vet is going to tell me something terrible like he has a neuro problem or something. He really almost looks stiff necked. Hell, I don't know what his deal is. I am very worried!

Wish us luck.

Don't get too upset with your DH. Not all people notice things like others do. My DH is one of them. And he knows it. So if/when I say somethng is wrong, he doesn't argue with me or dismiss it. I forget now what we were talking about one day but I made the comment about me knowing my pets. He agreed and said no one knows our animals like I do. One time he even called me an animal whisperer. Just accept him and love him for who he is.

Good luck tomorrow at the vets.

Well, called my sister over last night. (vet tech x 15yrs, works of UF Animal Hospital) Since we ruled out trauma, his range of motion was all fine, no ticks for tick paralysis, no fever, eating drinking, solid stool, blah blah blah, she thinks he had a seizure. Once she said it, I could see it. Just hadn't thought of it. Our old BC had seizures, and acted the same way. Cling to you, not move out, worn out, big eyed paniced look. Pete is a very "go" dog. (aren't they all) He was my agility dog. To see him standing still just rattled me!

Hubs met the blacksmith this morning and said there was Pete, right up on the washrack stealing hoof clippings and getting under foot! AHHHH, that's more like it. He says he even tried to chase the hose when clean up time came. An annoying Pete is a healthy Pete!

He is scheduled for his foot next week, so he will get a recheck. I think after this I will make sure my butt gets up to the barn daily!

My ex-husband is so good he notices stuff before me, even, sometimes.

My real husband is so bad but so eager to TRY to help he points out stuff to me like, "Look, honey, Starr's breathing." ("Well, yeah, Roy, she does that.")

Go to the barn every day. It's good for your mental health. My older kid was raised in a barn and she turned out ok. :rolleyes:

Shadow fell and hurt her leg.. okie she got her legs tangled and tripped herself.. I saw her limping and almost had a heart attack! Mom says "Oh, I didn't notice that" WHAT!!! How can she NOT notice my baby limping!! LOL... everyone needs to be as observant as us =D (Shadow is fine by the way!)

Sounds like Pete is doing good! Yay!! Good boy Pete!

My husband is the same way. When our daughter was a baby he had to help out lots with chores and he never noticed anything (if horse was sore or cut - unless it was obviously gushing blood). Now that our daughter is older the chores have shifted back to being all my responsibility, which is probably just as well. I know the animals and know when something's not right.

Erin - I nearly had heart failure as this was the very name of the post I was beginning to write myself!

Now I'll just chime in on yours. My not so d h allowed Rhiw to get in a fight, and get bitten. Three puncture wounds.

My poor baby. I am so mad

Guest LJS1993
Shadow fell and hurt her leg.. okie she got her legs tangled and tripped herself.. I saw her limping and almost had a heart attack! Mom says "Oh, I didn't notice that" WHAT!!! How can she NOT notice my baby limping!! LOL... everyone needs to be as observant as us =D (Shadow is fine by the way!)

Sounds like Pete is doing good! Yay!! Good boy Pete!

It's amazing how in tune we are with our dogs. When Freckles got a little sick depressed I was highly aware of her mood and lack of activity. I think it just has to do with knowing your dog and being in concern.