BC Boards

BABY PUPS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest LJS1993

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
Its an overnight shelter set up just outside the gate of the humane society.... People who are too damn cowardly to drop their animals off during business hours use this.

We ARE the pound. Most animals picked up in Riverside county are brought to Ramona Humane Society. Why oh why dont people fix their pets :rolleyes:

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What type of formula do you have them on?

premixed? or powder?

if premixed i would suggest diluting it with pups that young,,,3/4 mix to 1/4 water(tends to cause constipation otherwise)

got to get some colostrum into them.

building their immune systems up will be tough at such a young age.

don't let alot of ppl handle them.

Like Dixie Girl said they will need to be stimulated to pee and poop but i wouldn't use the damp paper towel ( just doesn't work as well as a moms tongue)

just run a small stream of warm water in your sink and rub their anus and urethral area with your fingertip very gently. this will automatically wash away the poo and pee and keep them from getting sore, like they tend to do if you use a washcloth or paper towel. pat them dry with a soft towel.

got them on a heating pad?

Guest LJS1993
Like Dixie Girl said they will need to be stimulated to pee and poop but i wouldn't use the damp paper towel ( just doesn't work as well as a moms tongue)

just run a small stream of warm water in your sink and rub their anus and urethral area with your fingertip very gently. this will automatically wash away the poo and pee and keep them from getting sore, like they tend to do if you use a washcloth or paper towel. pat them dry with a soft towel.

got them on a heating pad?

Do they really need a heating pad? It's about eighty eight degrees in our home right now. The lowest it will drop down to is about sixty seven degrees at night.

pups that young can't regulate their body temp well,,imo it would be wise to at least place a heating pad under half of whatever crate you have them in,that way they can move off and on it as they desire.

I think Esbilac is a common milk replacement.

is it premixed or powder?

Guest LJS1993
pups that young can't regulate their body temp well,,imo it would be wise to at least place a heating pad under half of whatever crate you have them in,that way they can move off and on it as they desire.

I think Esbilac is a common milk replacement.

is it premixed or powder?

I'm not sure if we have a heating pad. My Granparents might have one but who knows where it is.

Not knowing how long they have been away from the mother I would think the next 24 to 48 hours you really need to treat them as critical patients.

If you can gather what supplies you need and stablize them in the next 24 hours then they have a decent chance.

Don't kid yourselfs,its a heap of work.

At least you guys are giving them a fighting chance,,,,more then the icehole who dropped them did.

Aww poor puppies. How could someone do something like that? As I always say, people never stop surprising me.

They look kind of like mice :rolleyes: I hope they make it. I would get a heating pad. Puppies that young need the warmth.

Guest LJS1993
keeping them warm is important.

are they are huddled in a clump?

Yes they are huddled together in box with blankets both in and around the box. My fiance has been diligently feeding them every couple of hours. Freckles is handling it pretty well. She is playing like normal, except for the fact that she keeps wanting to lick me for some reason. :rolleyes:

Guest LJS1993
Not knowing how long they have been away from the mother I would think the next 24 to 48 hours you really need to treat them as critical patients.

If you can gather what supplies you need and stablize them in the next 24 hours then they have a decent chance.

Don't kid yourselfs,its a heap of work.

At least you guys are giving them a fighting chance,,,,more then the icehole who dropped them did.

Well we will give it all we can. I say we but I have to say my fiance is really busting her butt with these guys. I held a couple for awhile while she made the formula. I believe she said it came pre-mixed. She is asleep now but will be up in a couple of hours.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

i'm fairly certain that when I wake up next, that I'll only have six pups. One wont eat.... wont even swallow drops put on her tongue. :rolleyes: She's the runt. Pobrecita

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom
i'm fairly certain that when I wake up next, that I'll only have six pups. One wont eat.... wont even swallow drops put on her tongue. :rolleyes: She's the runt. Pobrecita

I didnt get her to eat all night. Today by far she was the weakest but she's gone WAY down hill while I was napping. When trying to feed her, she never latched on. She's super dehydrated and I can hear stuff rattling around in her lungs. She was on the bottom of the dog pile but she's noticably cooler than the rest.

when we bred our maltese poodle cross, we had the runt and wouldnt drink aswell. unfortantly she died because my auntie fludded her lungs accidently. this happened because she squirted milk into her mouth with a siringe. id say that is the problem with your pup :rolleyes:. hope she survives

take care :D

darcy

If there is no mother, they need a heat source- if nothing else get some 2 liter pepsi bottles, and set them up with WARM water, and put towels over them. Your runt may be chilled. They can't eat if they are chilled. Get her warmed up. Lay her on the toweled pepsi bottle- have her straddle it. It looks like some of their pads are burned- this maybe from someone's ill attempt at a heating pad, or the like, or something more sinister. In any case, they HAVE to be warm. Even those who raise litters with their moms use heat lamps- you can also use one of those. Get that runt warm, NOW- don't mean to be pushy. Also, keep these pups quarantined from everyone and everything. You know nothing of their history. I think if you can get them to a vet, you would be very very better off. Keep us posted, and thanks for doing this, it really matters that you came up to the plate on this!

Julie

I didnt get her to eat all night. Today by far she was the weakest but she's gone WAY down hill while I was napping. When trying to feed her, she never latched on. She's super dehydrated and I can hear stuff rattling around in her lungs. She was on the bottom of the dog pile but she's noticably cooler than the rest.

Guest Freckles LaLa Mom

I had her on a rice pack (think uncle bens) that I micro'd put in a towel...the rest are doing really well- except they are hungry and they drank the entire can last night. Will take them to my boss tomorrow. I thought the same thing when I saw their pads, poor babies. I dont believe the lady for a second that brought them in. We were literally locking the door and leaving work when she comes in saying she found these and has been hearing them cry for four days in an abandoned house. She also says mom is a little tan yorkie looking thing.... sure lady a yorki gave birth to ALL seven - which she said there were two more- argh. I wanna slap her.

Guest LJS1993

It was a long night to say the least. Those little guys can sure make some noise when they are hungry. I am really proud of Freckles though, she has been very flexible during this whole situation. Even our cat is doing his own thing while the little guys were making their noise. FrecklesLaLaMom took them to work just right now, so hopefully the cat guy can nurse them. He's kind of like the expert when it comes to motherless animals at the shelter.

A heat lamp is nothing more than a shop lamp with heat bulb in them. You can get the bulbs cheap in WalMart or Home Depot or any big box store. You probably already have shop lamps.

I'm sorry about the one.

Good luck with the rest. Taking care of babies is a lot of work.