BC Boards

sleddog sulky

I posted asking about a sulky pictured in a thread a while ago but forgot to check back. Have no idea where the thread is now.

Did I get a reply, or can the OP who posted the pic post again?

Andrea

What do you need to know about them?

I was the OP and this was the thread you were looking for:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=13272

I was the OP and this was the thread you were looking for:

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=13272

Lead: Freya

Point: Cosmo and Theo

Wheel: Flyboy and Duncan

My last time dog sledding. Just no time to do it with school and herding.

Theo-mushing.jpg

If you have any specific questions I can try to answer them. I am not a fan of sulkies for BCs, they are just too small. I prefer scooters and carts.

That's it. Thanks. Damn, another solution that involves a Useful Husband. Being short of one of those, has anyone used any of the commercial products referred to?

A

:rolleyes: I just got lucky with this project. My "useful husband" is usually being useful somewhere else and has no time for the jobs I'd like him to do. Besides his full time job he also works part time and he's a volunteer firefighter. Sometimes days go by when I don't even see him because he's out of the house while I'm sleeping, and doesn't get home until after I've gone back to bed. Is there anyone who does welding that you could hire to make one if you take them some plans? Mine was made in just one day so even paying someone should end up costing way less than to buy one I think. Check out the Artic Rigs website for pricing on buying something similar to mine (but professionally made): http://users.acs-isp.com/stormeeharborh/HU...rtic%20rigs.htm

There was another site that I looked at that had some really neat racing rigs, it was called Monkey Rigs and was in the UK, but there website wouldn't come up the last few times I tried. I think the rigs were a side business and they got to busy with their main business to keep building them.

Link didn't work.

I DO have a friend who fixes torque converters (whatever they are), and might be willing to weld, so plans would be gratefully received. Your rig looks pretty slick.

Do you know Kelly Murningham and Heather Gorney, from Michigan? They do quite a lot of racing in the winter and often use some of their border collies in combination with their huskies.

In the meantime, look me up should you ever decide to do give sheep a go. I keep my sheep near Stouffville.

A

Link didn't work.

I DO have a friend who fixes torque converters (whatever they are), and might be willing to weld, so plans would be gratefully received. Your rig looks pretty slick.

Do you know Kelly Murningham and Heather Gorney, from Michigan? They do quite a lot of racing in the winter and often use some of their border collies in combination with their huskies.

In the meantime, look me up should you ever decide to do give sheep a go. I keep my sheep near Stouffville.

A

How many dogs are you looking to run? My welded steel rig is 100 lbs, good for a team of 4 dogs. If I was running fewer I would want a lighter cart like the ones in the link (make from bike parts). If you only want to work one dog, a scooter is the way to go because you can really help them out.

I am actually selling off my sledding equipment, but the shipping is very expensive so it's best to buy local. You can check with your area dog sledding club to see if any members are selling their old stuff.

Link didn't work.

A

Hmmm...don't know what's wrong with the link, it worked when I tried it. That's not actually the page I was originally looking at, but it's the one I've got bookmarked and it does show their rigs and prices. I just googled them and came up with what looks to be their home page. Hopefully this link will work for you:

Artic Rigs

I don't know Kelly or Heather, but there are a couple of people a little closer to home who run border collies. I've never met her, and she's taken the last couple of years off racing, but there's a lady by the name of Bonnie Edwards who was racing a 6-dog team, and there's a girl I met named Amber (think the last name's Maynard) who was racing a 3-dog team in the 4-dog classes last year. She just got a new pup at the end of the season so she'll have a 4-dog team when the pup's ready. Actually, I wouldn't mind getting together with her to do a bit of training. Always nice to give the dogs a new trail to run on, and to work on some passing etc.

Don't know if I'll ever try my dogs on sheep or not, I keep pretty busy already with everything I've got going on. Actually, I've just sent in my membership with the Canadian Disc Dog Association and I'm going to try one of my dogs in our first trial on Aug. 26 in Ashburn (south of Port Perry). Do you do any disc trials with your dogs, maybe I'll see you there if you're in the Stouffville area.

I don't have any specific plans from building the rig, but I'll see if I've still got the notes I made for my husband and I can email those to you, as well as taking some close-up photos if that will help. Don't know if you've got your email listed in your profile, if not you can send it to me at info@racingrescues.com or silhouettestable@yahoo.ca If you feel like taking a drive some day you can always come up and see the rig in person, bring your dogs and give it a go. Best to wait for some cooler weather for that though. I'm about 2 1/2 hours northeast of Toronto, I guess about 2 hours from Stouffville.

Jeez, I don't know Liz. I'm a rank novice here. Anywhere from 1 to 3, I guess. Just thought it might be a fun way to put miles on the dogs when we're not out working sheep.

A

It is a great way to keep them in shape during the winter. You would be suicidal to try 3 dogs with a scooter. Sounds like a light rig with bike tires is a better choice for you.

Bonnie is Nationally ranked in sprint racing with her team of purebred BCs. You are lucky to have met her. She has been around for a long time, she was already well know when I started sledding many years ago.

Bonnie is Nationally ranked in sprint racing with her team of purebred BCs. You are lucky to have met her. She has been around for a long time, she was already well know when I started sledding many years ago.

Actually I haven't been so lucky as to have met her yet. She hasn't been racing the last couple of years when we've been out and around at the races. Lots of different people have told me about her and her BC's though and the other girl I mentioned got started with Bonnie I think. It's a small world though, when I adopted my 2 BC pups from Borders V'ewe Rescue, and told Shona (at the rescue) that I was planning to do some sledding with them, she mentioned Bonnie as well and said that some (or maybe all) of Bonnie's dogs were from Shona's mother's dogs. Her mom is Sylvia Forster and I think she calls her farm Ewe's Welcome. I met Sylvia and her husband and 3 of their dogs when she was doing a herding demo at the Haliburton Highland Games.

Arctic Rigs: Ooooo, nice. That's the kind of thing I had in mind. Thanks for the tip. I won't ask you to make and send drawings and such, getting my torque converter friend to actually weld something would be a long shot and not worth putting you out for.

I know Shona and Ian and Sylvia and Larry the Treasure, will see Shona and Ian this weekend at the Ontario trials.

Vickim, I'm in Ontario but go to MI and environs quite often for trials and clinics. Thanks anyway!

Thanks all!

A

... will see Shona and Ian this weekend at the Ontario trials.

A

Say hi to them from Gail, and you can let them know Rain and Storm are doing great! You can also wish them good luck at the trial, and good luck to you too.

I looked in my saved documents and I do have one doc with info and pics of various different style of rigs, and another doc with just a few notes I made for my husband of things I wanted to be sure he included on my rig. The Artic Rigs are manufactured with a curved frame, but mine's made a little bit simpler. I was wondering how we were going to come up with a framework like that, but basically just the front of the two bikes are cut off and a steel bar is welded across and then one wheel and one set of handlebars is remounted in the centre. It makes it a little more square than the professional ones, but it works well. In hindsight if I could have had the standing platforms mounted lower it would have been better. With a sled you can pedal (push) along with one foot, but I find that with my bad knees the platforms are too high for pedalling comfortably. Instead I just keep riding with both feet on, or hop off the platforms and run with it to make it easier for the dogs when going up hills etc.

I'm curious to know where people use their carts/sulkies?

I use mine for conditioning my dogs on our dirt road. You can get them with different type of tires depending on whether you want to use them on trails, or for dryland racing. Some of the heavier rigs even have what look like wheelbarrow tires. I think if you've got a cart, rig or scooter with mountain bike tires they're pretty versatile to go anywhere, but if you want to race I think you want a smoother tire for less friction. The type of terrain you choose may also depend on the weight of the rig, how many dogs you've got pulling it and what condition they're in. Rough, hilly terrain is going to be much harder on the dogs, especially if they're pulling a heavier rig. If you're running with a big team though you might want the heavier style for control and stopping power.

A: Here's a link to another place that makes lightweight 3-wheelers: Outlaw Racing Sleds. Here's a review of their sled by an ordinary mortal: Review of Outlaw dirt sled. Another option would be a design like the Sacco cart

ETA: Better yet, here's a page of links to a BUNCH of cart/sulky manufacturers: Cart Links

Geoffrey: Rail trails are another good choice. Pretty much anywhere you are allowed to jog with a leashed dog should work, as long as it's not too crowded.

Oh man, would I love to be able to afford an Outlaw!

I used to go to the state parks, there are dozens within a half hour of me. They are also used by people on horseback, hikers, etc so I make sure I am courteous and pull well over if I think it is appropriate (like if I see a horse coming, I don't want to spook them). Most of the races I used to compete in involved hills in state parks, so that is how I trained.

<groan> Major hot wannas here. Keeping sheep costs MONEY, people! Trained dogs cost MONEY. Trial entries are EXPENSIVE. Gas is THROUGH THE ROOF! I can't afford a new addiction!

Off to the trials, Nap better be winning me some money this weekend if he knows what's good for him.

A