BC Boards

Rent-a-dog ????

It IS expensive, but a good way to test out a breed if you aren't sure of it. I had a male friend that used to borrow one of my dogs to take to the park to find women. I guess having a Frisbee dog is a "chick magnet".

I guess having a Frisbee dog is a "chick magnet".

Hey it is :rolleyes:

You could also go to a shelter and walk some different dogs of different breeds to find one you like. That's what I did with BC's. I walked some and played with a few before I got one because I wanted to know for sure I wanted one. If I haddn't I wouldn't have this wittle guy :D

I worry about the poor dogs in this scheme.

Oh, Fergie wouldn't mind if a neighbor borrowed her for a walk now and then. But the idea of a poor dog's being shunted from home to home on a weekly basis just doesn't seem right. My granddaughter went to three different day camps between the end of her day care and when she started kindergarten last week. She went into melt-down at the end of each camp because she'd "never see all my friends again". And this with a stable home and the ability to discuss what's going on.

The dogs are going to form attachments, then get pulled elsewhere. They're going to get very confused.

I agree Nancy. I just don't think it is a good idea for some dogs- I guess some wouldn't care, but I can name a few in my life, who wouldn't be so happy. What about training, and rules in the house- very confusing if one person lets the dog do something the other will not let it do. It seems very exploitive to me. Why not just get a group of friends together, and do stuff with dogs- I know that when I get together with my friends, they are happy to be with my dog for the day...

Also, what if someone really falls in love with a dog? I just don't like this idea. Shelter- go to a freakin' shelter, and spend the day walking the dogs there. I have to wonder if this isn't just financially driven. This also gives an out for folks who refuse to commit to the work of a dog, and want to "play house" with the dogs.

Julie

I worry about the poor dogs in this scheme.

Ditto. It sounds horrible to me. Maybe some of the truly goofy-happy dogs out there are different, but I can't think of any dog whose main concern isn't keeping his place in his pack, being able and/or allowed to STAY. I just can't imagine living without actually belonging anywhere.

Taking care of shelter dogs instead is a great idea.

I think this is a bad idea. One lady in the article said that she was worried that the dog would pee?

Well, missy, yes, dogs pee, and *gasp* Sometimes they do it RIGHT ON THE RUG!

Smacks of exploitation. I worry that the dogs would become anxious from the constant disruption in their lives.

Tell you what, instead of renting a dog, go to a pound, play with, bathe, and cuddle a dog or cat. Then drop your money on the way out the door. Continue to send the $49.95 that you would pay for the monthly rental fee at your local shelter.

Charlene

Annual Account Maintenance charge =$99.95

monthly Membership Fee =$49.95

Week Day charge =$24.95

Weekend (Friday/Saturday/Sunday) =$39.95

ONE TIME FEE payable at registration =$150.00

shuttle service per single trip =$17.50

Member agrees to a charge of a minimum of two days per month at the prevailing standard Week Day rate regardless of whether the Member has actually had Doggy Time with a FLEXPETZ dog. =$48.90

Inconvenience Fee (late fee) =$75.00

The saying,

"A fool and their money are soon parted" = Priceless

The minimum that a person will have to pay to use this service is $348.80 plus sales tax where applicable.

This buisness will never blossom into anything other then what it is now,,,a novelty that caters to a very very small niche market.

Now the publicity it generates might actually cause a great many people to donate a few bucks to their local shelters and rescue groups just because of the bad taste that hearing about this business leaves with them.

Its what I did on my way out of town this morning, dropped a 50 dollar check off at the shelter and thanked them for the Doggy Time.

Shoot, if you want to "try out" a certain breed in your home and can't foster, then you could dog sit!

Not only would you be doing soneone else a service as you got a chance to experience the dog, but they would pay you!

You just don't see canines holding multiple memberships in different packs in the wild, eh?

If I were a rent a dog, I think I'd be deeply confused about where I belong. Tossed into a different pack every day, different hierarchy,...I'd just decide to be the alpha dog everywhere I went, to make things easier on me. And, I'd definitely pee on everything...

Why don't shelter's advertise free rent a pet services? Just come by for an hour and play with any dog you want...

Totally agree. Although I think someone has found yet another way to a "get rich quick for yuppies trick" and it might work. Most people don't have 1/2 the brains a dog does. If maybe they had one dog divided between 2 couples, it wouldn't be too traumatic on the dog (like doggie day care) UGH. Another topic........I'll probaly bring that one up soon. tee hee.

(like doggie day care) UGH. Another topic........I'll probaly bring that one up soon.

Oh you should, that would be a great topic for a separate thread. I'd be very interested to read others' opinions on it.

I dont like this idea at all, there will be the odd idiot out there who will say, " oh i don't like this type of dog i will just try another one", hope fully it will be well moniterd but its not the point, a dog is not a commodity to make money out of. :rolleyes: I understand from what i have read about it that the poor little dog will go back to a kennel when not ' on hire ', how confussing for the poor thing, yes i think i can safely say this sucks !!!