BC Boards

Semi OT allery to shots~seeking info.

Katie, toy fox terrier has allergic reactions to shots. Seems her face swells up. This is handled by an anti inflamatory shot. My question is how will this come into play/effect with her spay. I've already decided she will not get her last puppy shots and spayed on the same day. I think that maybe too much.

I've always gotten my critters spayed or neuter (well expect the bunny and hamster). As far as keeping her from males during season, that should be pretty easy. But then I will still worry about her chances for problems down the line. That said my goal is to get her spayed but not if it will be more dangerous for her than a non shot allergic dog.

I'm been checking fox terrier sites but can't seem to find anything pertaining to this. One site mentions the allergic reaction but nothing about spay or spay complications. Currently, she goes to her previous owners vet( out of town) ~ they'd already paid for all her shots and neuter. I'll be getting with my vet after the holidays for his input.

Since the reaction was limited to facial swelling, you may be able to just give an antihistamine prior to the next vaccination. You should discuss this with your vet first. Another thing to discuss with the vet is what shot was given that the dog reacted to. If it was a combo shot with DHPP and something else (corona, bordatella, etc), switching to just a DHPP vaccine without the others may help reduce the chance of another reaction. Vaccine reactions aren't usually a problem unless the dog goes into a life-threatening anaphylactic shock and that doesn't sound like the case with your pup.

Why would her allergy to vaccines have anything to do with her spay? An allergy to vaccines would not automatically mean an allergy to anesthetic, as they are not the same thing. I don't think you have anything to worry about, but I would not get the spay and the final set of vaccines done on the same day. I wouldn't anyway, even with a dog who was not allergic.

RDM

I know an anesthetic is different than a vaccine but don't know if share common ingredients that are known allergiens is my concern. I've never had a dog allergic to vaccines so I've done last shots or rabies with spay in the past and never a problem. I figured it was one less time critter had to be poked and prodded.

Her vet has given her a anti inflamatory shot with all her puppy shots ( per the records)..... so I don't know if it is a certain one. I'm looking at her records and going by what the previous owners told me.

If your dog had an allergic reaction, they may have gotten an antihistamine, possibly an injectable form of Benadryl aka Diphendydramine.

An anti-inflammatory would be something like Cartrophen which is for dogs with arthritis and similar conditions.

Like RDM, I would have no issues with spaying a dog who is allergic to vaccines. The two are not related and there is nothing in a vaccine that is also in the anesthetic.

I would never give shots to a dog the same they they underwent any surgery.

I would also not vaccinate a dog who had an allergic reaction. I would do titre tests if I were worried, and get documentation from my vet if shots are required by local laws.

Thanks. That is the information I wanted to know about. I got her from her previous owners and the shots were set up. I didn't know about allergic reactions till the day of shots and it didn't sound like much ( plus the way it was put to me these were her last shots). I didn't get her records till she came back from her shots. From what I'm seeing her first day of shots has 2 bills (1 for the puppy shots and 1 for allergic reaction shots) after that the shots are accompanied by allergy shot( anti inflamatory listed in description). She just got her rabies and a set of shot. This is supposed to be followed by her last puppy shots in 2 wks. ( a scheduled appointment) <- one of the reasons I'm searching for info. now. The couple I got her from had given her to a friend to find her a home.... They just had a baby.

Originally posted by trailrider:

I won`t give rabies before 6 months, so the immune system, and the maturity overall are more complete. Rabies vaccine can be like a sledgehammer. Good luck.

Isn't it standard, even for the most conservative of states, that a pup gets the first rabies jab at six months, then a booster at a year? I don't think any state requires a rabies vax earlier than six months.

IMO it would be extremely iffy to vax this pup any more. Certainly no more DHLPP stuff, and if I could figure out a way, given the circumstances, to indefinitely forestall the rabies shot, I would do that, too.

Chris O

Originally posted by tumblehome:

Isn't it standard, even for the most conservative of states, that a pup gets the first rabies jab at six months, then a booster at a year? I don't think any state requires a rabies vax earlier than six months.

Here in Southern California, its required at 4 mo.

ETA: I corrected this to Southern CA as I see that you're also in CA. It may vary from county to county. Orange & LA counties certainly require it at 4 mo.

Originally posted by Genie:

Here in Southern California, its required at 4 mo.

ETA: I corrected this to Southern CA as I see that you're also in CA. It may vary from county to county. Orange & LA counties certainly require it at 4 mo. [/QB]

Well yuk. How terrible. Thanks for the correction.

Chris O

One of the shots she got was her rabies. Vaccine schedule wise she has one more round of puppy shots to go. These are the shots plus spaying that got my questions going.

Thanks for the materials to read. I browsed thru between kids today. I'll read them more indept tommorrow ( kids in school) so I can remember what I've read. If anyone else has info., I appreciate it.

My BC mix is allergic to shots and has to have a 'pre shot'. She had to have it when she got spayed too... it just meant an all day thing and she was really woozy when she got home but other than that she was just fine. She's 13 months old now and it's just customary now that when she gets shots she's a 'drop off' versus an appointment since they have to have a certain amount of time in between her pre-shot and her actual shot.

I'm not sure if it's the same thing with your dog since she just swelled up but my girl pukes for hours if she doesn't get the pre-shot.

Good Luck!!