BC Boards

Anybody Else Have a Clinger?

M.L.

Does anybody else have a dog that turns into a total clinger once in a while? For the past two days, Bailey will not leave my side. He hates the vacuum. Normally when it comes towards him he takes off in the opposite direction. Yesterday he was practically sitting on it while I was vacuuming the steps. I was holding the vacuum up while vacuuming the step below it and there was Bailey, sitting right next to the vacuum. Then I was leaning down to clean the wall and he was sitting on my knee. Would not leave me alone. Cooking dinner, there he is sitting on my foot. Trying to watch a movie, and he kept trying to get up on the couch with me (where he is not allowed) and finally I gave up and let him come up with me. When I try to get him out of the way (because he has to be touching me) he doesn't want to budge!

Very weird. He has had moments of clingyness before, but not to this extent! I was worried about him!

Dakota is always near me, he truly is my shadow. But I don't think he's clingy to that extent. He's content to just be in the same room as me, but as soon as I leave I can hear his feet padding behind me. I haven't gone to the bathroom alone in 2 years.

I love the truly clingy dogs, though. We just "go" well together - I love their constant attention as much as they love mine.

Poppy is my little shadow. He even has to wait in the bathroom while I shower..lol. BC's are just a real people loving breed.

We share the couch during movies, the bed at night and we're only apart when I go out in the car (he gets carsick).

It doesn't bother me one bit. If you think this is not normal behavior for your dog, I wouldn't hesitate to have a vet check him over.

If he checks out ok maybe it could be you(health-wise)? I know when my blood sugar gets low, the dogs let me know by hovering extra hard and bumping me...lol.

Rivendell is with me all the time. A great deal of the time I look over at her and she's just watching me. The bathroom is for 2 evidently, I forgot what it was like to go without her. The funny thing is, the cat follows us to and lets me know his displeasure at closing the door before he can follow Riven in. lol

Zoe's a clinger. She can pretty much be guaranteed to be within eyesight at any time when I'm in the house, usually within arm's reach. But she gets VERY VERY clingy when she's nervous (which is frequently). So if she was climbing up on my lap and sticking physically to my side I'd be thinking there was something going on that was upsetting her. (For Zoe it usually means a strange object in the house or strange person approaching.)

Kind of... Rhiw will come and sit close with his nose straight in the air, and squeaks/ groans persistently to get petted... he can be very clingy.

But then in the evening when everyone else is in the cosy warm room downstairs, he'll take off upstairs where its cool, dark and quiet...

well i definatly have a klinger, Badger has been klinging to me for 11 and a half years now and i love it. Yes he also thinks there is room in the toilet for us both :rolleyes:when he isnt sitting very close to me he will have his beady little eyes staring at me ready to move if i move. At the moment i am suffering a very bad cough, i am coughing all night, husband has abandend me for the spare room, not Badger, there he is still laying next to me without a complaint LOL. If ever he gets very klinging like you are describing, i also would think maybe something was wrong, he is usually afraid of something if he acts like that, a storm on the way maybe. :confused:

Buzz has to be in the same room with me. Shoshone has to know where I am, not necessarily in the same room, though. She just has to know. Sammi doesn't really care, untill I pick up the car keys.

Late last spring, we had a wicked thunderstorm one Sunday morning. My bathroom, not counting the shower, is 6'x 5'. I got up to use the toilet at about 5 am, there was a huge thunder crack, and I had 3 border collies all trying to sit on my lap at the same time.

Ruth n the BC3

I know exactly what you mean. Lightning's always everywhere with me (in the kitchen, computer room, bathroom, on the couch, on my bed snuggling etc.), but that's just his normal velcro dog self. But every once in a while he acts like you've described, almost nervous clingy, trying to get right up onto my lap or into my arms in a different kind of way. Just yesterday I was standing at the stove cooking and he was trying to shove in between my knees and the stove. I haven't figured out why he occasionally acts like that, and can't seem to find anything that's upsetting him at those times. It doesn't last too long though and then he's more himself again.

Originally posted by urge to herd:

Sammi doesn't really care, untill I pick up the car keys.

Ruth n the BC3

Lol..if I pick up the car keys Pepper is there.

But Poppy goes running- AWAY!

We think it is due to how sick he got on the way in to be neutered and on the way home. Ever since he has hated cars. They make him drool and vomit.

Black Jack is my shadow too even though he can't come in the house. Everytime I go outside he has to be right there with me or he gets really excited. He's happy outside in his kennel as long as he can see me.

I really do like him wanting to go everywhere with me. I love him being right there all the time