BC Boards

dog training can be dangerous!

Well, I spent my 4th of July in the emergency room. We were deworming sheep yesterday afternoon and one of the dogs we've had in for training about a week (who, BTW, has NOT been keen) was out with another one of our dogs to see if she'd turn on. Well, that plan worked and she suddenly decided to turn on. After a minute or so of chasing, she was hot on the trail of one of the khatadin's and low and behold... that friggin' ewe decided my knee was the best place to head for. She hit me on the outsude of my knee, at a full run. I remember hearing a loud pop and then having David help me lie down while I was screaming in agony.

The emergency room doc diagnosed a tear or partial tear of my medial collateral ligament, so I am in this ridiculous brace thing from my thigh to my ankle. I have yet to hear back from the Ortho's office regarding an appointment, but I am sure I'll need an MRI to accurately diagnose the problem. Keep your fingers crossed that it is not something that will require surgery. I am NOT a good patient and can not be still fro very long. I am terribly bored and hate that i can not go to the barn and take care of all the dogs (David is working two jobs now... his and mine).

And yes, be careful when working young dogs! It can be dangerous! :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear about your mishap Christine! But it's a reminder to the rest of us that working with sheep CAN be dangerous, especially with young dogs around.

get well soon! (And congrats on another cover photo on Sheep! magazine )

Hi Deb, thanks for the well wishes and the congrats.

I have not been on the BC Boards for quite some time now... just no time. I think I'll be posting a bit more now that I am layed up. This really is the pits!

Christine...that really stinks!!!! My husband has a fit when I go out and work the dogs for fear that they will run me over and I'm 21 weeks pregnant...that is why he worries. I imagine at some point I will be too unstable to walk in a field anyway so it will soon come to an end. I'll be sure to shield him from reading this too!!! :rolleyes:

He was kind enough to let me work dogs this past Tuesday without saying anything because it has been so long...and at least I'm not working puppies.

I hope you heal fast and don't require anything other than rest!!!

Yikes! I hope you feel better soon. Something similar happened to me with one of my dogs 9 yrs ago. I forgave him for being a stupid teenager, but it took me 2 yrs before I was feeling back to normal.

Hope you feel better soon! :rolleyes:

I had a tear in my Medial Minicus ligament too....it was a rip....they cut it out in a U shape. Six weeks later I was back into sports, HOWEVER since they cut a big chunk out, so I had to do tons of leg exercises to strengthen the knee/legs and it has been pain free ever seen....and as a bonus my chicken legs now has some form to them (due to the heavy weight workout).....my surgery was othro and was did not involve opening my knee up....I just have 2 tiny half moon scars on my knee. My mom dropped me off in the morn and picked me up in the afternoon and then stayed with me for a few days....cooking all sort of Asian *get well* meals......AHHHHHH.....

Keep us posted and we will keep our paws, toes and fingers crossed for you

diane

So sorry to hear this, Christine! I had something similar some years ago but it was a runaway pig not a sheep (hmmm, does that say something about me?) and all the ligaments on the inside of my knee were torn. It healed perfectly well (even though I couldn't really stay off it like the doctor wanted - but I was much younger then).

Did I mention that sheep scare me more than cattle or horses? They get you right at knee level and when they are "flighting", they just run right through you.

Best wishes for a full recovery!

Holy crap. I think that's the classic football injury, happens when your foot is planted (usually wearing cleats) and then someone slams into the outside of your knee. Never thought of it as a possible sheep injury. I tend to be facing them when they run into me, and maybe waving my hands around in the air while I yell "LIE DOWN LIE DOWN LIE DOWN" at So-- I mean, my dog. Heh.

I feel for you. I can't sit still very long either. Get well soon.

Still no word from the Ortho's office and there is not much I can do.... we've called three times in the past two days. A friend of ours is a nurse and she did speak to the Ortho's nurse today and said that I should get in by Tuesday. So, it looks like I'll have to deal with this big brace and not truly knowing what is wrong until then. :rolleyes:

On a brighter note... I had a wonderful surprise today... Mark and Renee sent me a gorgeous bouquet of flowers! Thanks again you guys - that made my day! :D

Just over a year ago I got "hit" by a scottie, and he did it with his horns. Hit me on the front/outside of my knee. I didn't hear anything, just really hurt. Swelled up really well. Waited a day, next morning went to er. Was told it looked like I had a fracture of the femur. Went to orthopod, got an mri- the dang sheep had hit me hard enough to push my femur back down/over my tibia, and break a nice chunk of the tibia plateau, in addition to a very nice meniscal tear. Had arthroscopic surgery and healed rather quickly. I still have that attrocious brace- and didn't wear it as much as I should have- a REAL PAIN to put on and off. I hope that you find out what it is soon, and are on your way to mending fast. One thing- they like to wait to before they fix things to allow the swelling to go down. Just be on the lookout for anything odd...

Julie

Still no word from the Ortho's office and there is not much I can do.... we've called three times in the past two days. A friend of ours is a nurse and she did speak to the Ortho's nurse today and said that I should get in by Tuesday. So, it looks like I'll have to deal with this big brace and not truly knowing what is wrong until then. :rolleyes:

On a brighter note... I had a wonderful surprise today... Mark and Renee sent me a gorgeous bouquet of flowers! Thanks again you guys - that made my day! :D

So sorry to hear about this, Christine. Yikes! Like everybody else, I guess, my knees take a steady battering over time, but an acute injury like this is a totally different story. I hope you heal up fast, without surgery. Take it easy and try to pretend it's a vacation. Very best wishes.

Hey Christine...

Just in from working the dogs... had one of my Khatadins almost do the same thing to my knee while sorting a few sets for the morning... luckily -- or maybe inspired by your story -- I dodged at the last second and got a leg rub rather than a knee crash.

Hope you're doing better -- will we see you hobblin' to the post at Dr. Ben's next week???

Colin

Thank you everyone for the well wishes! My knee is feeling better and I am able to hobble around on one crutch from time to time. David allowed me to go down to the barn yesterday and the day before. He brought the kids 50cc ATV up to the house for me to ride down the hill (those of you that went to the Oregon Finals last year probably saw David and I tooling around on this thing to exercise the dogs). It's WAY too small for adults, but if I prop my leg up on the fender it helps a lot. It was great to be at the barn with all the dogs and I even forgave Lady for chasing the sheep into my leg. :rolleyes:

I FINALLY got an appointment with the Ortho for Wednesday morning at 10am, so keep your fingers crossed.

Colin, I won't be trialing until the Finals and if I have to be hobbling around the post there I will. Good luck to all of you heading to Ben's this weekend! I wish I was going to be there, but unfortunately not.

Christine

Any updates on your knee?

julie

Thank you everyone for the well wishes! My knee is feeling better and I am able to hobble around on one crutch from time to time. David allowed me to go down to the barn yesterday and the day before. He brought the kids 50cc ATV up to the house for me to ride down the hill (those of you that went to the Oregon Finals last year probably saw David and I tooling around on this thing to exercise the dogs). It's WAY too small for adults, but if I prop my leg up on the fender it helps a lot. It was great to be at the barn with all the dogs and I even forgave Lady for chasing the sheep into my leg. :rolleyes:

I FINALLY got an appointment with the Ortho for Wednesday morning at 10am, so keep your fingers crossed.

Colin, I won't be trialing until the Finals and if I have to be hobbling around the post there I will. Good luck to all of you heading to Ben's this weekend! I wish I was going to be there, but unfortunately not.

Christine,

Just back from visiting my mom and sister in Florida. sorry to hear about the injury. Had a sheep take me down on the side of the knee at a Jack Knox clinic. We were near a fence asking a dog to come into the sheep, well she did and when she busted the sheep they ran every which way, including into the side of my knee, didn't think I would be able to get up. Jack said afterwards, that I should have been standing against the fence, I told him he should have told me that to start with :rolleyes:

Never had it looked at professionally, should have and would if it happened again. Took forever to be able to walk normal. Sometimes surgery is the faster way to heal.

Nancy O

The Ortho called with the results of my MRI. Good news is that the MCL is only strained (stretched), not torn. Bad news is the lateral tibial plateau IS fractured! So, I can not put weight on my leg for SIX WEEKS! If it was an MCL tear and not fractured, at least I would have been able to put weight on my leg. I will have to go back to the Ortho once a week and have new x-rays taken to check to make sure the fracture is getting better and not spreading (like a crack in a windshield).

I'll look on the bright side... #1, I don't have to have surgery and #2, bones heal faster than ligaments! This still sucks though! :rolleyes:

OH MY!!! That is the SAME injury as I had!!!!!!!!!!!! Really- do what they say- you can displace it, and then you are in for some surgery...

Julie

The Ortho called with the results of my MRI. Good news is that the MCL is only strained (stretched), not torn. Bad news is the lateral tibial plateau IS fractured! So, I can not put weight on my leg for SIX WEEKS! If it was an MCL tear and not fractured, at least I would have been able to put weight on my leg. I will have to go back to the Ortho once a week and have new x-rays taken to check to make sure the fracture is getting better and not spreading (like a crack in a windshield).

I'll look on the bright side... #1, I don't have to have surgery and #2, bones heal faster than ligaments! This still sucks though! :rolleyes:

Christine,

Yup, the bones will heal faster. Glad you won't need surgery! At least your 6 weeks will be up by the end of August, you didn't want to work dogs in the heat of the summer anyway.

Renee,

I cheat anymore also, no board fence, but I use an old large hard plastic container that I can stand on and get above the sheep. Congratulations on your win with Bette! Does that give her enough points to run in Open, along with Nursery, at the Finals?

Nancy O