BC Boards

URGENT Medical Question

Hubby has been BBQing outside. He left the plastic off the bottom of 2 steaks last night outside on accident. (He thinks) The plasic part that soaks up the blood ect. Its about 6 inches x 3 inches. Has plastic outside, inside is cotton soaked in blood. Its possible Riven ate them...we arent sure, but we cant find reminents of any. Here is a pic of one from tonight.

IM000758.jpg

What can happen if she did eat it? Will it block her intestines? Is it toxic? Should she be rushed to the vet now or in the morning? What do we do? Would an X-Ray show it?? She acts completely fine, romping around in the yard. If she did get them, she's had them in her at least 13 hours. She just poo'd and it was completely normal, no straining or anything. The marks on the very outside package of the meat didnt look like her marks, but we dont know. We're freaking out.

I have heard (on here actually) of several dogs that have passed SOCKS!

I would personally watch her closely, check her stool and have her sleep in my bed. If she gets lethargic acts weird or doesn't poop tomorrow like she normally would, take her in. You could always at least make a call into the vet tomorrow to see what they think.

Edit: Oh you said she already poo'd. Well, then I would think she's fine. Just keep an eyeball on her for the next day or so, after that, I'd think you were in the clear.

socks!! oh my gosh! Ok, it doesnt sound like its major urgent this second in your opinion? My husband found the number to the company that makes them, they're called bloodsoakers. We're trying to find out exactly whats in them so we can call poison control and make sure there wanst some sort of something in there that adds more worry.

I would give her another day to pass it. Keep a close eye on her, of course. I really think if she did eat it, that's something that will pass, since she probably chewed it up into smaller pieces. I wouldn't think there's anything toxic about it nor do I think it'd show up on x-ray.

Don't panic. Just watch her bowel movements and for any vomiting. Bowel obstructions will cause vomiting.

Good luck! I'm sure she'll be fine.

Oh good, we are so worried. She's our little girl!! I am positive she would have chewed it. She never eats chunks of anything, she chews more than I do lol. Thanks so much for your replies you guys.

We'll definately keep an eye on her. I did get ahold of our vet. He said at this point there isnt anything they can do since its been so long. He said that we have to look for constipation or vomiting. If she does have issues, bring her in in the morning. But he said probably in all likelyhood she'll pass it.

Argh, and what sucks is we dont even know if she ate it. I think Im gonna shoot me a husband now. lol

My GS ate my daughters baby shoe! the whole thing, in 1 piece! ya know the little white one's with the high ankle support!!!

We were getting ready to go out, and I was looking everywhere for her shoe... couldn't find it anywhere. Then I heard Bruno gagging and wrenching like they do, (not even thinking it was the shoe!!! for petes sake). So I run over to check on him cause it sounded really bad, and bam.... there it was! hmmmm! woulda sliped on her foot really easy, I suppose YUK!!!!

Needless to say, it was off to buy a new pair of shoes next day!

I still shake my head when I think of that one!

:eek:

If you have an emergency vet clinic in the area just give them a call, maybe they can reassure you that she should be ok, at least til you can call your regular Vet...

I know how you feel.

Four nights ago Riley ate 2.5 corn cobs. The entire thing, no evidence even left (except two corn cob holders left in the corner!). An internet search said that two things could happen: he would pass it just fine; or if the chunks were too big they could cause a bowl obstruction. I called the emergency vet and they said to watch for the following signs of bowel obstruction in the following 24 hours:

vomiting

lethargy

refusal to eat/drink

straining while pooping

generally acting like not feeling well

Fortunately for you, it sounds like Riven is not showing any of those signs.

And fortunately for me, Riley has been passing whole pieces of corn cob for the past four days.

As a side note, I did use hydrogen peroxide (3% at 1 tsp per 10 lbs of weight) to make him throw up a bunch of it. This was actually contrary to the recommendation of the emergency vet because they were afraid if the chunks were too large he might have choked on them. But I did that before I called them. Apparently some of it must have already left his stomach. I would have expected it to be at least a little bit digested, but it looked the same coming out as it did going in!!! :eek:

Wow, I guess I am lucky! Daz doesn't eat anything but food and tennis ball fuzz! :rolleyes:

Yeah, keep an eye on her - and make sure you let us know when she is OK, don't leave us hanging!

Good luck in passing that riven!

By what I know, that bag is like a diaper, just absorbent material and mostly made of cellulose, so she should have no problems. if you want to be safer you could give her a spoon of liquid vaseline.

Chemukh almost ate her metallic dish. I found it in little pieces and was ready to run to the vet, but a friend of mine, with a clearer head than mine at the moment armed the pieces as a puzzle and confirmed that she wasn't swallowed anyone. I'm still amazed how she managed not to rip her mouth or tongue with the sharp borders.

Fergie eats those every chance she gets. You won't even notice it "come through". Only time I saw any evidence was when she pooped on the edge of the woods where we walk. As the poop decayed, I could see a sort of little rag of dark plastic (our pads are black on the bottom).

Luckily, she eats only what we give her. She gets the pad if I decide to leave an especiallly full one on the foam tray. Our previous dog mined thrash buckets for used Pampers!

One thing I've learned at my house: If something has mysteriously disappeared, one of the dogs ate it. Guaranteed.

That being said I won't even get started about the types of things the Troublemaker Duo has eaten. However, no obstructions from their escapades - I would just keep an eye out for a few days.

LOL wow, I was afraid everyone would think I was the most irresponsible pet owner for being careless enough to let her get it. (well hubby, but I didnt check) Im relieved to know everyone has gone through these things. Even the exact same thing!!

Well this morning, she refused to pee. Like, wouldnt go out, I thought oh my god, she's freakin blocked. So I put a lead on her and drug her into the grass, where she commenced to pee. The grass was wet.. I think she believes unless Im there with her she'll simply melt into it. :rolleyes:

She slept all night fine, didnt puke or anything, ate dinner fine and now she's sleeping in a corner behind my chair lol

I would watch and see, but as you have noted -- dogs will try to eat most anything. :rolleyes:

Allie has eaten at least 2 of my husband's nice leather barbeque mitts (I guess they smell like meat and leather -- an irresistible combination). They were on the grill hook, up under the cover. She somehow got up under the cover, removed the gloves (without disturbing anything else) and took them into the outside doghouse to dine. She excreted black leather strips for several days afterward.

Years ago, my two shelter mixes ate a beer can, all but the ends. No damage. Then one swallowed a whole sock, threw it up two days later. That one ate so many crayons that I thought about giving him some paper to eat so he'd have something to write on. What a colorful back yard we had when he was living. He died at the age of 13 from old age. And of course my german shepherd ate $35 worth of New York Strip steaks about a year ago. Ouch. Oh, they recently ate half of a bill I that was on the counter to pay. I put an arrow pointing to the damage and wrote "Dog" on it when I paid what was left of it, haha.

I noticed yesterday that the tiny acorns are falling on my deck once again. It's getting to be that time of year. I said it before here, but want to say again - please don't let your dogs eat acorns. My research indicated that they can be toxic to dogs, and we had a 10-month-old boxer almost die last year. Those acorns were all we could come up with, between us and the vet, after hundreds of dollars of x-rays, blood work, and hospitalization. Of course, he's not the brightest bulb on the string........

I know an Australian cattle dog that once ate an entire 4lb bag of UNCOOKED rice. And the bag it came in. One would think that he would have blown up like a balloon and exploded, but he showed absolutely no ill effects from it whatever. Go figure.

guzzi, my 1st ever family dog ate almost an entire bag of mixer biscuits and the bag, he ate a bucket of wall paper paste (you have never seen vomit like that), and my dads crop of parsnips from the garden that had been dug up and left to catch the frost overnight.

tikki ate (well chewed) a tube of superglue and several batteries and came out unscathed. he ate a small ribbony piece of plastic bag and was very poorly for a while till we figured out what was going on.

brighid just settled for the sofa.

i am waiting to see what squirrel will do

what sucks is i thought i had dog proofed and kept a good watch on my dogs!

Success!! lol :rolleyes: She poo'd again. No straining and she didnt squat to go more than once. Hopefully this continues! She acts like she's starving and she's sooo hyper today. I wanted to ask all you raw feeders... We're having beef back ribs tonight. Can she gnaw on a rib bone? Will that do any harm? She's used to Kibble, but eats turkey bones and stolen chicken bones well.