BC Boards

QUESTION

Guest WoobiesMom

Hmm, I can't imagine the jumps would be very good for HD, but the weave poles, tunnels and walk over bridge thing (don't know the name) might be okay if it's just for fun on a homemade course and you're not pushing for too much speed. Of course, check with her primary vet just to be sure.

Is running okay?

If running is safe, then you can sure play agility! Tunnels are good. Jumps with either very low bars (like at 8") or even a bar on the ground is good. If she would go slower, I don't see a problem with going over planks of some kind.

It all depends on what the vet says is OK - and how much you want to do. :rolleyes:

Lots of dysplastic dogs do agility both competittively and at home. I would talk to your vet definately and find out just how bad the hips are and is it one or both. Before starting any type of jumping I would look at types of conditioning for the ligaments and muscles around the joint(s) good strengthening excercises to help hold the femur head in place. Once that is established you can work on all kinds of things. Also for both dogs with HD and enjoying agility you want to monitor weight carefully. You want your partner to be at his/her optimal weight to lessen impact on those damaged joints. I would definately keep jumps low no more than 16 inches at the most, limit tight fast turns ect.

The short answer is yes. I know many dogs who play with dysplasia of the hip or other joints and do quite well, including one of mine. I've been doing agility competitively with Zoe for about 5 years now. I make sure to jump her at the lowest heights allowable though, which means Performance classes in USDAA and Vets in AAC and NADAC.

That said, it depends on how severe the dyspasia is as to how much you can do. A gradual workup and conditioning are vital for a dysplastic dog, and you might not be able to do quite as much as a non-dysplastic dog, or jump quite as high. So talk to your vet... you might have to explain what all agility entails to them. If they give the go-ahead, then find a beginner class. A good class will work you up slowly, which is what both you and your dog need.

Agility is a great way to help strengthen the muscles that support the joints. Take it slow and let the dog tell you what's too much. I'm lucky in that my dysplastic dog will get REALLY grumpy and snarky towards the other dogs when she's sore, so it's pretty easy to tell when she's had too much.

Almost forgot! A GOOD joint supplement is also key!! Ask your vet for what kind. I use Synovi.