BC Boards

Remote control

What about a rubber band 'gun'?

http://www.kitestailstoys.com/home.php?cat=396

I can shoot them off my finger. And when I was a kid, they made wooden ones. That would sting pretty good - but not injure him.

And wow, someone actually makes marshmellow guns:

http://www.kitestailstoys.com/home.php?cat=786

I just got off the phone with the rubber band gun company. I explained the situation and they tested out several of their models for me. They said the carbine jr. was most accurate at 20' with enough impact to startle him.

Expedited shipping is $30, plus the cost of the gun. I haven't made up my mind yet.

I had a thought though. I could stretch and roll rubber bands into balls and use those as my projectile in a sling shot. They would be the right size, firmness, shape, etc. for flying through the air, and the impact would be enough to get his attention without hurting him. My aim is very, very good so the risk of him getting shot in the eye is extremely small. I can shoot the left wing off a fly at 50 yards! :rolleyes: The first (and only) time I shot clay pigeons w/a rifle I got all three!

Anyway, I think I'll do the rubber band projectiles, have hubby pick up a sling-shot, spend the day practicing, then go from there.

Originally posted by Miztiki:

My aim is very, very good

Its not only Boy who is going to be nervous in the house. :confused:

But seriously, have you thought of those aerosol noise making things they use in football stadium? I thought that might be just enough to scare him off.

Not to change the subject, but you stated above you have hard wood floors? How many dogs do you have? We also have hard wood floors, moved in 2 years ago and they look well....they are sooo scratched! Now that we have 2 dogs I think eventually we will have to change flooring. I have not found any pet friendly flooring yet!

Originally posted by Kit:

Not to change the subject, but you stated above you have hard wood floors? How many dogs do you have? We also have hard wood floors, moved in 2 years ago and they look well....they are sooo scratched! Now that we have 2 dogs I think eventually we will have to change flooring. I have not found any pet friendly flooring yet!

Glad you mentioned that Kit. Its one of my big concerns. The floor is not in a bad shape (just yet!) But the areas near the entrance doors are getting worse as occasionally the dogs bolt out in a rush. The hardwood floor was varnished before we moved in about 15 months ago. It would have to be varnished again at some stage in the near future.

I guess the way to minimize the problem is to keep cutting the toe nails of the dogs.

Honey I'm hungry and there's no food. :rolleyes: Can you hurry home and pick something up on the way please? Pretty, pretty please?

That noise would be too loud and probably scare the crap out of Fynne and especially Punkin. Remember how freaked out Boy was over the champagne cork popping? Or on the 4th of July? After the 4th of July he became afraid of thunder and it took a while to get him to where it didn't bother him again. I don't want to freak him out with loud noises.

We have two dogs and our floors look like crap. :D There are scratches, especially by the door, where they run out. Our floors are old and need refinishing though. They were worn down to the wood when we bought the house, so a finish on them might solve that problem. No money though, so we'll have to wait.

I fell while hopping the other day so my ankle was pretty tender for a day or so, but it's getting better. I use the wheelchair most of the time so I can keep my foot propped up and so I don't have to worry about the dogs knocking me over! Thanks for asking.

Hi Miztiki,

Since you are bored, (maybe you're not, I would be out of my mind with boredom in your situation) you could always sew some bean bags to be just the size you want. You would just need a needle and thread and some fabric, even old clothes would do. Oh and some beans of course.

Maybe you could try every intervention mentioned and Boy would be so shocked by something different every time he would just stay at the safety of your side for the rest of his life! Ha ha

Have fun with your rubber bands, no chance he would eat them is there?

How about those bb guns that shoot plastic bb's for kids. Don't know if they are accurate at 20', but I think they're not really expensive, and they dont hurt.

Anyway, had some free time and check this out:

Potato Gun

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...v=glance&s=toys

Spitwad launcher

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detai...v=glance&s=toys

Picture

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Defau...ProdID=WMCSW001

Probably will be messy, but an option

Marshmellow shooters

http://www.kitestailstoys.com/home.php?cat=786

Maybe one of those laser tag games, just attach the laser target to his collar, when you shoot it beeps, don't think that noise will scare him..anyway....gotta go...

Failing that, I'd consider putting Boy on an umbilical cord for a while to get his attention focused back on you in general. I had to do the same thing when I was working Ben and Rick after my accident and I was unable to "make my feet do the talking" for almost a year.

I would personally do this rather than throw/shoot things. The behavior you want will be clearer and you will be better able to reward good behavior this way as well.

When Rebecca suggested it I tried to play it out in my mind. How would this be practical? I think she was talking about general applications (dog obeys in other things, will help w/counters). He's obedient in all other areas so far though (knock on wood).

I'm on the couch almost all the time. I can't have him on a long line all day waiting for him to sniff the counter.

I could put food on the counter, put him on a long line, and wait for my opportunity, but he knows when he's on a lead and when he's not, so that wouldn't help too much either.

The risk of me getting him in the eye is extremely low since a) I have a very good aim and :rolleyes: his back is turned to me when he approaches the counter. I think a projectile will be the most effective considering the distance and everything else. I'd imagine it will only take one or two shots.

I've been thinking of what would make the best projectile and they all seem to be food! Dried prunes or apricots would work great but he'd probably think it was a gift from God and not a correction! :D

Our Sweet Gum tree dropped lots of "balls" that are a bit smaller than a golf ball and sorta spiny. They're dried out a bit now. The dogs love to play with them though and toss them in the air but I might try those out on a target. I suppose I could soak them in something stinky so they don't want to play with them.

5 more weeks to go!

ok, I don't think that throwing stuff at dogs is the answer. Have you ever used a whistle on Boy ? Dylan's reaction to a whistle is unbelievable. He has a really good recall and I have never used a whistle on him, but my husband bought one and didn't even really train Dylan with it, but did he come IMMEDIATELY ! I've seen him react to it, and it is like nothing else. I have one now and am planning to "train" Dylan to respond to it. That might be a pain free and positive solution...( if you're rewarding him for coming ).

I'm thinking along the lines of what Melanie said. A long line when he is in the vicinity of what makes him do his bad things. If he is on the long line and he goes for something, give him a correction and say "leave it". He needs to be comfortable on it, and be a bit surprized that he was corrected "remotely". I have a dog who counter surfs and is VERY sneaky about it. I mean, she actually appears to tip toe into the kitchen, gently put her feet on the counter, and the only way I know she is there, is that she is not near me. Then I say "off" and I hear THUMP as she lands her front feet back on the floor! You really need to read those little scamp's minds!

Julie

What about this?

Scat Mats for Dogs or Cats

Product Information:

The Scat Mat is a touch-sensitive training pad that quickly conditions pets to avoid prohibited areas with harmless, low-power electronic pulses similar to static electricity. Place the clear flexible vinyl Scat Mat in a room entrance, on your sofa, counter top or the hood of your car. The touch sensitive pad will silently protect prohibited areas. When touched, the battery sends small pulses to the mat for three seconds. These surprising little "zaps" quickly repel most pets who stay away after one or two exposures--even after the mat is removed.

Veterinarian approved Scat Mat works when all else fails. Used in conjunction with your normal training techniques and surface cleaning (as appropriate for elimination behavior changes), the Scat Mat will help you restore harmony to your household.

Scat Mat Features:

One 9 volt battery (not included) provides approximately six months operation or 10,000 activations.

Silent operation corrects unwanted behavior without disturbing other pets or people in the home.

Flexible mats are made from PVC which contours to surfaces and rolls for storage.

Adjustable output (low, medium, high) allows appropriate deterrence sensations for varying sized pets.

Extension mats can be connected to economically increase area covered.

Scat Mat components clip together with snap fasteners.

Indicator light will blink a count showing how many times the mat has been stepped on since it was last turned on -- helping you to determine when your pet is trained.

American and Canadian humane societies, the Canadian Council on Animal Welfare, and the Canadian Veterinary Medical Association have deemed Scat Mats an acceptable product for use in situations where positive reinforcement is not effective. They consider the Scat Mat to be a humane, and potentially life-saving product. The electrical energy emitted by the Scat Mat is extremely small. If a small child comes in contact with the mat, he or she will recoil from it, just as an unsuspecting adult will.

Manufacturer offers a 30-day money back guarantee and a two-year product warranty.

Here is a picture of one on a counter top

sm05_large.jpg

I use an ultrasonic trainer every once in awhile, when I need the added umph for things that needs to be "driven home". Some dogs react differently to it and you shouldn't over use it or they start to ignore it after awhile. Works like a charm for most though.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...3&N=2001+113215

Jennifer