BC Boards

Taking the Runt

I don't know this breeder at all, by reputation or otherwise, but describing a puppy as a "runt" and saying she wants to basically get it off her hands as soon as possible make me extremely uncomfortable. "because they are petite and may need vet care." IMO it is the breeder or rescuer's responsibility to make sure any pup is healthy BEFORE they place it, not to find someone else to deal with it! It just really strikes a bad chord with me. I would definitely run.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I got that feeling from her too. I will go home tonight show the wife and kids the things you guys said and await word from the rescues.
Run, as fast and as far as you can from this "breeder". If you can contact Bobbi Farqhaur (sp??) she runs a rescue operation in CA. last I knew. And PNW has a wonderful rescue organization as well. There's a wealth of info and people that will help you find the dog for you and your family on these boards, take time and find exactly what you are looking for.

Are you opposed to an older pup or even a juvenile?

Karen

Re the OC Celtic Festival: It looks like the herding demos will be run by a very nice guy who trains and judges all breeds --- which doesn't mean the demos won't be a blast, but demos at fairs often feature many breeds, and certainly don't begin to show what a border collie can really do. Not the most likely place to find a good border collie breeder.

In order to see lots of border collies at their best (doing 400+ yard outruns, etc.) you should try to attend a USBCHA trial. In late December/early January there are a couple of SoCal border collie trials, one down in Campo and another in Poway. They are totally worth the drive. See a list of upcoming trials here. I'm kind of hoping I might be able to run newbie Lulu in Novice-Novice at Poway. (Non-competitive, because I ran a dog in Open years ago --- and because I'll prolly chicken out at the last minute and walk halfway to the sheep before I send Lu on her outrun :rolleyes: )

Lu was adopted from the city shelter :D

Of course your best bet, if you want an authentic border collie, is to visit a bunch of border collie trials, talk to everybody and make note of the dogs you like. (The best border collie breeders prefer that their pups go to good homes where the dogs will work livestock.)

If you want a border collie for a family companion and/or for dog sports like agility, then I believe local shelters and rescue organizations are the best way to go. Our shelter just had a darling puppy available --- she was adopted before I could post her photo in the Rescue section:

1103061614.jpg

If you visit the local shelters and let them know what you're looking for, they'll keep an eye out. I'm a huge fan of shelter dogs, but with rescue organizations you'll have more info from the start about the dog's temperment, for instance.

Best of luck with your search!

Needless to say, this breeder is using the USBCC article without permission. I will be on to her about it.

Neobliviscaris06, you are showing excellent judgment in your decision not to buy from this source. The whole website makes me shudder. I understand you wanting to rescue the runt, but please don't enrich this person and thereby encourage her to breed more runts.

BTW, I don't see much evidence that this person is even breeding for conformation. She's just breeding.

Neo, good for you for doing the research and for saving the unwanted and "runty". It's a good trait to want to help the unfortunate, so bless your heart for that and for looking into rescue and other options as well.

I've many a time been suckered into trying to save the runt, the sickly baby, the injured or unfortunate. Sometimes it works out well, and others it can be very sad. (I admit, however, that it's a great deal easier for me to take on a potential medical disaster than it is for most; being a vet does have certain advantages there.) :rolleyes: The good news is that being a runt or having some other strike against you to start out with sometimes ends up providing you with a lot of opportunities for help, precisely because it DOES tug at people's hearts. I'd agree with those who have said there are a number of red flags in this situation. I think you've been given good advice already and don't really have anything to add to it; you seem to have figured what's best for you to do here. I just wanted to add my encouragement not to give up in teh search for your dog, whatever age or description it might eventually have. Good luck with this, and I hope that both you and the "runt" puppy in question end up with a good outcome (and I would agree that buying any pup from this breeder will only support a bad situation).

If there's a space in your life for a dog, one will inevitably fill it sooner or later - or at least that's how it seems to work for me, even when I have NO IDEA there's a dog-shaped hole in my life! :D Speaking of which, I believe it's time for some Raven-wrestling....

Look familiar? LOL

Two of Mark and Renee Billadeau's dogs are on the Orange County Celtic Fair website.

Yep, it's Rae (upper left) and Gyp (on the right), both photos taken by our own forum member Mark (either Mark or his wife Renee) of their own dogs back in Maryland. I thought that photo of Rae looked familiar --- "Properties" provided the names.

Originally posted by Eileen Stein

Neobliviscaris06, you are showing excellent judgment in your decision not to buy from this source. The whole website makes me shudder. I understand you wanting to rescue the runt, but please don't enrich this person and thereby encourage her to breed more runts. [/QB]

My feelings as well.

Looking at the website instantly makes me wonder if this so called "breeder" is even closely complient with the Statutes and Laws of California that pertain to breeding dogs for sale?

"ORDER YOUR PUPPY PACKAGE"

Puppy package? That doesn't sound right.... Most breeders DON'T want people to buy a pup for christmas! But planning to breed so a litter is ready to go home "christmas week!"? :eek:

Very scary site - it looks like (from the "know the breed") that they put great border collie info on there just so people would think they are good breeders. And even their "runt" price is pretty big...hmmm...

Glad you are gettin' you pooch somewhere else!! :rolleyes:

Good luck with the rescues!

Good for you Neo, in running the other way very quickly. It also looks to me like these dogs aren't even being bred for conformation - I too think they're just being bred. Very scary site. I'm really glad you came here.

Good luck in your search. As someone else said, there are several very good rescues in your area - and many will even have puppies if that's your preference. Stand strong my friend.

I am so enjoying the music on the Celtic Festival site. Normally I hate being subjected to obligatory music. How do I find out what this music is?

UGh, the breeder site reminds me a bit of Mary Ann Harrison's web sites. It's like no one would NOTICE that the dogs are dirty and usually wet (I assume from an impromtu hosing down after being released from dirty kennels). Those coats remind me of a friend who never combs out her sheltie and it's one big teased hairball year round. :rolleyes:

Puppies available year round?

*ahemerpuppymillhack*

Out of curiosity I took a look at this site...YIKES! I didnt see any info on the "studs" she uses, not even pictures let alone info on the bitches no puppy pictures and what the heck is Lazier Lessons? They offer frisbee, and ball lessons also...eeeekkkk!!! She has a "stud" dog for sale that "Must be located outside CA" A bitch that is "an excellent outdoor dog, has "working" ability" how the heck does she know? I dont see that she does thing one with her dogs other than breed them...fortunately and thank god the bitch is spayed... more than likely she has no use for her as she is 5yrs old, A 6 yr old "sable/white" (looks more lemon to me but Im no expert on color) and another that she boasts has thick hair and is heavy boned...I feel very sorry for rescue in her area and the uninformed that are purchasing pups from her. The only good thing I can say is that the bitches she is getting rid of are spayed. She also has a blk/wht bitch she gives no other info on other than "bandits color"!

Be afraid be very afraid...this makes my hair stand on end.

Originally posted by Neobliviscaris06:

I am going to ask at the Sheep dog trails but I know that these shepards are going to be hardcore. Where I am looking for more of a companion for hiking ,running and of course the frisbee sports

You might be surprised by folks at herding trials. While many prefer working (stock working) homes for their pups, many will also consider good pet homes, especially if those homes are active. I've often said that good homes are more important to me than strictly working homes, and there are working homes I wouldn't consider for a pup and many pet, hobby, sport homes that I'd consider ideal. So don't think that you might not be able to find a nice pup from a "hard core herder."

Oh, and Laura (aka Carson Crazies) took the runt from my (one and only) litter (not because he was the runt, but because he was her favorite). He was healthy, just the smallest of the lot. Now he's just about the same size as his littermates, and has even surpassed one of them. To see pics of him, check out the "crazy legs, crazy ears" thread in the People's Gallery. Recent pics of two of his siblings are in the "Pip & Phoebe" thread. Smallness and and of itself is not a problem, but potential health issues would be a dealbreaker for me, no matter how much the little pup tugged at the heartstrings. Even though it may be a free pup, the health problems could be absolutely heartbreaking.

Kudos to you for asking the right questions and for considering rescue as well. And if you don't have your heart set on a little pup, consider an adolescent or young adult--you'll be able to do all the fun stuff like frisbee and long hikes that much sooner!

J.

Wow I have awoke to a community of dog lover replys. A huge thank you to all of you . I am going to pass on these dogs and I am not even going to visit. I don't think I could take it . As regards to the music on the Celtic . I believe it is from Braveheart. Tomorrow is the festival. I have never been to the Orange County one but have attended the San Diego one. I have had some response from the Rescue place here in Socal. I am off to read what they have to say. You are all awesome for helping me here. Whew..I did good by asking that question...lol. .almost made a big mistake

Neo - Congrats for wanting to find the right dog/pup for you and the family and avoiding dealing with a questionable breeder. It may take a little time to do it right, but the time you spend will be well worth it.

Responsible rescues are careful when placing dogs in new homes so be patient - they have the best interest of the dog/pup in mind and want the new family and dog to be right for each other. Their goal is a happy, suitable, and forever home.

Best wishes!