BC Boards

Breeder recommendations - with focus on health

Why do you keep erasing this? I'm getting very grouchy about my responses to this disappearing. When I make a post, it's not just for you, it's for others who might be reading your post too.

So, I say again. Ipso facto, a working breeder is breeding for a sound dog. Deaf, blind, lame dogs make lousy stockdogs. Trust me, I've had them all. I have them all. I'm looking forward to working with a couple of sound young, talented dogs in the future that I'm training right now.

Clinical testing doesn't prove soundness, but it can identify the source of problems that are spotted in the course of training or work. Or screen for things that are undectectable, like when a Border Collie is a carrier or affected for CEA, allowing a breeder to make judicious decisions without unduly increasing the rate of the disease in the breed.

A breeder who is "focused on health" is selling a bill of goods, like the used car salesman who was trying to tell me when I was shopping for a truck that the dual exhaust system (with its $8000 additional price tag) was good for something besides attracting male attention. They've got their attention in the wrong place and they are trying to pretend it's a good thing, and they are usually going to charge you an arm and a leg for it.

I saved a draft this time so like it or not this information's coming back in some form if you make it go away again.

Why do you keep erasing this? I'm getting very grouchy about my responses to this disappearing. When I make a post, it's not just for you, it's for others who might be reading your post too.

So, I say again. Ipso facto, a working breeder is breeding for a sound dog. Deaf, blind, lame dogs make lousy stockdogs. Trust me, I've had them all. I have them all. I'm looking forward to working with a couple of sound young, talented dogs in the future that I'm training right now.

Clinical testing doesn't prove soundness, but it can identify the source of problems that are spotted in the course of training or work. Or screen for things that are undectectable, like when a Border Collie is a carrier or affected for CEA, allowing a breeder to make judicious decisions without unduly increasing the rate of the disease in the breed.

A breeder who is "focused on health" is selling a bill of goods, like the used car salesman who was trying to tell me when I was shopping for a truck that the dual exhaust system (with its $8000 additional price tag) was good for something besides attracting male attention. They've got their attention in the wrong place and they are trying to pretend it's a good thing, and they are usually going to charge you an arm and a leg for it.

I saved a draft this time so like it or not this information's coming back in some form if you make it go away again.

Becca, it's my fault the earlier threads went away. HighDesert Spice didn't erase them, but I pulled them while I checked with her about the purpose behind her posts. The only one with a response from you was the one in the rescue section, where everyone seemed agreed it didn't belong. The other threads had no responses (I assume because the OP asked for private replies). I appreciate you posting an answer, and I'm sorry you had to write it twice.

Hi Rebecca:

I just saw this reply--probably due to the admin stuff. Anyway, thanks for your dedication in keeping it out there.

"Focused on health" is my term, to be validated by my doing my homework in my conversations, research of the breeder. I wasn't expecting to believe any breeder's pitch. You may have noticed by now that I can be a tad "analytical" (I prefer this term to the other) so have no fear. I do think that good breeding is probably more challenging than it looks, in today's world. Oh well. i DO appreciate the advice.Thanks!