BC Boards

:rolleyes: oddest name you had for your dog

I've owned a few dogs with funny names since being a child here goes. Biffo i think because he was a big bruiser of a dog even though he was a whippet he was more like a greyhound ,

Rip he was a whippy that my dad and grandad rescued not sure why they called him that,

Sugar another whippet rescue her owner tried to drown her as a pup my dads freind rescued her and i fell in love with her so dad took her home with us and she was so named because she was sooooo sweet,

Cringer another whippet racing name battlecat after cringer/battlecat in he man and the maters of the universe she was my little brothers dog.

Po a little cross bred my daughter named her after a teletubbie

Dfor as in D for dog my big bro's idea

Mack gets called macky doodle as my youngest daughter 19 months started shouting doodle to mack after watching the tweenies. :rolleyes::D

My brother lived in a condo complex, and had a cat named Cocaine. Needless to say, this caused some raised eyebrows when he would call his cat in at night...

No particularly strange names in our own pet history, with the possible exception of an English Springer Spaniel. When we went to look for the dog as a companion for my son (who was going through a difficult time), I was a bit taken aback when they told me the cost, and responded, "For that price, the dog should come from Tiffany's!" Needless to say, I was outvoted; and so my son named the dog, "Tiffany". Most of the rest of the dogs have had common Scottish first names (my wife, the Scot, is the one who names them). They have had some interesting nicknames, but this is a family board...well, you get the idea...

When I was young, we had many dogs with strange names; my mother was French-Algerian, and tended to name the dogs with French or Arabic names. I don't think that I could spell properly most of the names nowadays...

It's not his real name, but Alex's nickname is Grub. As in Dirty Grub. Really, the more you look at him, he looks like a Grub. :rolleyes:

Lilly's nickname is Bird. It should be her real name, since that's all we call her. Unless she's in trouble.

Solo has a number of nicknames, but the worst one is probably "Poopus." This one evolved:

His original nickname is/was "Goofus." If you remember Highlights magazine, you will probably remember the comic strip, "Goofus and Gallant," which was supposed to teach children how to act appropriately in social situations. Gallant, who was kind of a twit, always did everything right. Goofus, on the other hand, was a total screw-up. I probably don't need to explain why Solo got the nickname "Goofus," although it's rather unfair because honestly, Solo WANTS to be good all the time, and on top of that is naturally very well-mannered and obedient.

"Goofus" turned into "Goofus Poofus," often said as an exclamation: "Goofus Poofus!"

This eventually got shortened to "Poofus."

Which somehow became "Poopus." It can also be used as a verb: "Solo, do you need to go out and poopus?"

Fly's nickname is "Worm." For a while, half the people we were practicing flyball with thought "Worm" was her real name. She's "Worm" because she wiggles.

Melanie, your post made me laugh out loud! Allie's nickname is also "Poopus." (However, in this case it's because we started calling her "Allie Oop," then "Allie Oopus," which devolved further into "Allie Oopus, Little Poopus," to just plain "Poopus.") So we now have two dogs we call "Allie Oopus" and "Rusty Roo." OMG, this really sounds ridiculous, doesn't it. :rolleyes:

(I loved the Goofus and Gallant comic strip!)

i had a cate named KC who i called Fish, she was a beautifull calico girl!!

from a litter from her we had cinamon, peppermint, and sampson..

also had a cat named einstein, grizzly (huge double paws all the way around)

barn cats, little big paw, peanut who weighed over 20lbs, and moses....i could start on the list of horse names but that would be way too long!!

Babytalk is a no-no for me (I'd rather eat my feet), so the nicknames Kessie and Kyla get called are not as friendly as some of yours :D.

I often just address them as "Nase" (nose)...."Hello, nose" etc, because that's what pokes at you when you're sitting around being a bore.

Kyla is also known as "der kleine Spinner" (the little nutcase). It's possible that she thinks "Spinner" is a word of praise (because I love her for being so wacky). She gets called "Zappel" as well ("zappeln" means to wiggle, but also to be restless and unable to hold still).

Kessie doesn't invite nicknames so much (although I do make fun of her a lot). Sometimes she's called a "G'schaftler" (Bavarian for busybody) or, of course, "Zicke" (a bitch - not in the sense of "a female dog", but in the sense of a female with a certain temperament) because that's what she is. And yes, I love her to bits :D. But I can't say that. I just call her names :rolleyes:.

There are worse names they get called when they've rolled in the fox crap, but this is not the place for an alternative German lesson!

What? You never told me you never named your dog PITA?

You mean me? That's possible, but Kyla's presence has put everybody in a lighter mood (which means I worry less and swear more :D).

But I rarely ever consider them a PITA anyway...the only situation I could think of is when everybody's ready to go out except slow old me, and I'm trying to get my shoes tied while the place is teeming with border collies (it takes only two to to make it teem...maybe only one, really). Then I might call them Nervensägen ("nerve saws", PITAs!) ...or worse :rolleyes: .

Let's see... I had a cat named Nipples until he was stolen a couple of years ago. He was a big beautiful male marmalade and white cat and when we'd adopted him from the shelter it was the first male animal I'd ever had and I was rubbing his tummy while we were trying to decide on his name... i felt the nipples and asked my mom if male cats were supposed to have nipples and she said, "does Morgan? (my boyfriend at the time, now DH). It just stuck and that was his name.

I also have "Tai Tai" the kitty and Harley or "Har Har" as she is called. Harley was named not for the motorcycle but because she looks like a Harliquin doll.

Clover the red BC got her name because of her snacking preference for the clover in our yard.

OH I almost forgot... we kittensat for a couple of weeks for these people one time who had a 4 week old kitten that was still being bottlefed (rescued from a baaad situation). She was so small she fit in the palm of my hand with room to spare. I don't remember what they'd named her but we hated it... DH started calling her Goober and somehow that turned into Uber and then eventually evolved into Uber Wan Kanoober. That was probably 6 years ago and we never saw her again after the kitten sitting but we still talk about our litter Uber Wan Kanoober sometimes :rolleyes:

Guest WoobiesMom

I get alot of comments on Woobie's name, which his foster parents morphed from Wookie to Woobie. At least there's a toy named Woobie in a Petsmart commercial.

I had a black lab as a teen named Jarva. Never could answer what it meant when people asked, she came with the name.

The shelter I got Woobs from has some god-awful names for their pups on Petfinder. This week there are pups named Doo Doo and Poo Poo, HOW MEAN!

And there's a guy who comes to the dog park who named his lab Shibata (sp?). Don't know what it means, it just sounds weird when he's calling him. I call his dog "hey pup". LOL And there's a boxer pup named Kal El which also sounds weird when calling.

Isn't "Kal El" Superman's real name? God, how dorky. (Then again... why do I know that?)

My ex-Papillon, Skeeter, came with the name "Mr. Poppy." When I got his vet records, I learned that his previous owner also had a Bichon. Its name was "Fally Foo Foo."

Guest WoobiesMom

Yeah, Kal El is Superman's real name. I thought it was kinda dorky when he told me too. I was reminded of the commercial where the guy is calling for his dog "Baron von Woof Woof" or somesuch kooky thing. The guy w/the lab always says his dogs name with such dramatic flair too, "Ssshheebaaahhhtaaah"! I have to turn my head so he doesn't see me rolling my eyes and trying not to laugh out loud! :rolleyes:

Yup, I had a PITA. The same dog was also known as DAP = drink and pee because when I got her she had a UTI.

Other names are...

Duncan:

Old Man, even when he was a pup he was an old soul

Mr. Duncan

Dunkie Boy/Man

Freya:

Princes Freya

Evil Vicious Horrid Beast (the exact opposite of what Freya is), she growls at me when I call her that

Monster

Brat Dog

Psycho

Maniac

- most of these names are meant to deflate her big head since she thinks so highly of herself

Flyboy:

Fly Baby

Puff Daddy because Flyboy farts when he is excited

Sir Pokes a Lot because Flyboy pokes your arm to get a pat

Big Oaf

Frankie:

Cry Baby because he was the first in the litter to howl

Frankie No No

Monster Puppy

Liz's Furry Little Tumor or Teratoma because when he was hurt as a pup I would sneak him to class with me in my pocket. He got passed around quite a bit so it's amazing we never got caught :rolleyes:

Sage:

Skunk Puppy

Polar Bear

Teddy Bear

Parasite

- Sage is very affectionate and LOVES to be held