BC Boards

Work Ethic

Guest Bart

A lot has been said regarding a BC's work ethic. Is it possible a dog could be talented have the instinct to herd and just not want to herd bad enough to make it to open? I am beginning to see why the ranchers shot a lot of dogs in the old days - they were not pets.

Guest Ragtimelil

I have a dog with similar problem. He tries his best, but if I work him 30 seconds too long, or get the teeniest bit frustrated, or, heaven forbid, try a drill, he just might leave.

lil

Guest Amanda

Dogs can lack resolve. Sometimes that is a factor of lack of focus, that derives from too much alternative acitivity. Sometimes, that is just the dog, despite its management. Sometimes they sulk when refusing to accept direction. "It's my way or the highway." All have the same unpleasant outcome, a dog that blows the pop stand. You can get militaristic about their down time, with the only Rand R they get, sheep work. Such a tactic may not solve it, even if a pet owner has the stomach for it.

These may be dogs with which you two do not get along. Review what they do for you, what you find acceptable and un. Think through whether you want to continue with it, or let some one else sort it out.