BC Boards

Teaching a grip

Guest Marilyn T

Guest Marilyn T

I am working with a well bred, nice young bitch. She is about a year and a half now, and getting behind her sheep well. Usually, she lands nice, and brings the sheep softly as well. She is not yet driving. However, if the sheep get very heavy, or since they are pretty dogged, they try the old divide and conquer routine she will stall out on balance, regrouping them nicely, but no longer pushing. Once that happens, the sheep will start to test her, and she doesn't know what to do. In some ways, she is TOO nice to her sheep, and the dogged buggers I use for puppy sheep will take advantage if her. I feel that since she has never even attempted a pinch, let alone a grip, it might be in everyones best interest to teach her one, to build confidence. Am I thinking correctly, and if so, how do you go about it? I'm usually trying to prevent grips, so this is a new experience for me. Thanks.. Marilyn

Guest Amanda

Yes Marilyn, I would encourgae a grip in her. But your comments about using "puppy sheep," sent up red flags.

I never do that. I like to use free running sheep even on very young dogs, so they quickly learn cause and effect of stinging them or slicing flanks. "Puppy sheep," as you cal them, teach a dog that it can slice and shove with no particular reaction from the sheep. That is not good development of mind and soul in the youthful Border Collie.

Use different sheep. The wilder the better.

yours

Amanda

I have a 2 1/2 year old rescue border collie that has never gripped...ever! She is very quick footed but struggles with confidence. So if a ewe gets a bit confrontational...she will dart away when I think she needs to learn to take control of her sheep. So how do you teach a dog to grip on command that lacks confidence?? I especially have a hard time gettin her to come into the head.

Thanks!

Guest Amanda

You are asking a question to which there are unglamorous solutions. Jim Cropper advocates putting such a reluctant dog in a box stall with a particularly mean spirited sheep, preferrably with a lamb, and let it defend itself, for a while. I have never had to resort to that. But he claims it works. If he claims it, I belive him. Others have said to grab a sheep by the hind leg. While it struggles to get away, get your bitch to join the frenzy of acitivity and go for broke, at its head. Maybe.

You are describing a weakness. She may never have had the gas or may never get it. All dogs do not have the power and the glory. Darting away, when you think she need to take control is the tell taler. Good dogs press on with poise. Failing to come to the head indicates a reluctance to meet a required confrontation boldly.

You can try.

Throughout my brief tenure as your resident "expert," I hope I have encouraged everyone with inquiring sheep dog minds to engage in deeply critical views of their dogs, their strengths and their holes. Progress you make as a hand, starts there--"What's he doing wrong? What can I do about it if anything, without undoing the good of him?"

Yours are not difficulties about which I would jump for joy. But I guess, where there is a will, there is the possibility of a way.

Thanks Amanda,

Your points are well taken. My journey with this dog might not take me to USBCHA trials. But I do think she might make be an okay dog for the farm, where if things get too much, I can put her away and get the other one. As I read your post, I keep thinking of other things I see this dog do that tie in with her non-confrontational weakness. It will be interesting to see if what I do can help her gain the confidence she needs to be more useful.

Respectfully,

Lora