BC Boards

Ok, I have a judging question

Guest tucknjill

Guest tucknjill

I asked this question when the website first opened up and no one answered.

If you were judging a double lift and handler sends dog out for first lot of sheep which will of course be a dog legged fetch, do you point off the dog that stops on his own what would normally be short but in the case of a double lift is perfect because of the dog legged aspect Say around 2 oclock or 10 oclock. Same deal on the second outrun. What mental changes do you make when judging a double lift outrun? Hope I am being clear enough..thanks in advance.

<small>[ February 05, 2006, 03:50 PM: Message edited by: Sam Furman ]</small>

You are completely clear, and challenging the “expert” with gusto.

I would not do it any points, particularly if the sheep lifted well. I would do it no points if the handler stopped it in the right place, too. One being control, the other luck, or a telepathic dog—if the outcome is the same with respect to the lift, I would take no points.

One thing is for sure, if my dog stopped short and caught the lift bang on, I would not announce to the judge that I thought the dog was wrong and send him further with an extra flank. I’d go with it and let the judge decide.

I don't make any particular mental changes for double lift outruns. Gee, now you're making wonder whether I should. Twenty points--let's see a good one.

Maybe I’ll talk to my real expert friends tomorrow, and see what they’d do.

Guest tucknjill

A definate mental brain teaser and one that certainly made me think, because technically for training purposes if the dog stops on its own right for the double lift he is wrong training wise, but I guess if he has made the double lift in the first place we should spot him the benifit of the doubt! :rolleyes: Thank you for answering...it should be a question on a sheepdog I Q test!

this is a good question. in this situation doesn't the dog still have to lift toward the handler even though he'll have to be flanked back to head toward the fetch panel? doesn't the dog always have to lift toward the handler?

you know what, after i thought about this, i answered my own question. i stop my dog short on the first and second outruns to lift toward the panel not the handler, but i would blow a disquise whistle if the dog stopped short to try and make it appear as if it were my idea and, as amanda said, let the judge figure it out.