BC Boards

Young dogs with possible sticky eye

Guest Marilyn T

Guest Marilyn T

Hey Amanda... so you finally got a place to say exactly what you want!

:rolleyes::D:D Too cool! Would you prefer a general question, or a specific?

1. General..... What kind of differences to your training approach do you make for a dog that has the potential for sticky eye? Bigger groups of sheep vs smaller, always work on flexibility/obedience or use the sheep to teach the lessons, teach shedding early vs later? Etc.

2. Specific. I have a sub 2 y.o. bitch who shows what I think is the potential for sticky eye. I have done some general things like above, but rarely, she will still lock up on an outrun, always holding pressure, if there is heavy pressure towards me. It usually only happens the very first time she is sent. Since she is young, it could be confusion over whether she is driving or outrunning, but I don't want to take that chance. With a correction, she will turn off the sticky spot, and continue with a nice outrun, hitting the balance. Do you have specific things you do to override this tendancy? Would sending her to catch excaping sheep increase this tendancy or relax it? Would you set her up to always have control, or to lose control and regain it?

1. General

Marilyn. I vehemently dislike too much eye: it usually gets worse. If I was a big experienced handler like you, who had been reserve national champion in my home and native land, I would not keep going with a dog with too much eye. I can see how someone with their first beloved Border Collie would have to try to work through it and cope, but you have nice dogs. You know the non frustration of running a free dog.

I would tidy the eye, as much as possible at hand and bring the dog back in close if is not clean up top. Do not stretch it out until it moves freely and covers well. I would train on the freest possible sheep. I always try to teach shedding early, sticky eyed or not. Simkilarly, flock work is good for any dog.

2. Specific

So many questions!!! Maybe the moderator should limit it to two per post!!!

If you have confused you bitch about the difference between driving and outrunning, good grief, Marilyn. I do not think you have.

You say it's rare, so that says "small stuff" to me, which is somthing over which not to sweat.

I would move around your training field (I don't know what it's like) and create an alternative pressure by changing the place from whence you are sending her for her gathers. Try to send her so that she must over shoot to be right. Then of course, if she hitches, she will be exposed as one completely in the wrong, and you can pillory her appropriately--a tamed down version of your escaping sheep idea. I always like dogs to feel in control. If they lose control, it's a crisis for them. No one wants a crisis for a young dog. Settng her up to lose control will make her resentful of you. What kind of partnership is that?

your pal

Amanda