BC Boards

Shedding

Guest Ragtimelil

Guest Ragtimelil

I've just about given up trialing because we can not get a handle on the shed. We've been practicing this for about 5 years, on the fence, not on the fence, with large groups when available, but mostly with what I've got at hand.

I read Carol Campion's wonderful article on shedding and couldn't wait to get out and try it. (She's tried to explain this to me before, but I just don't seem to get it.)

Well, my sheep didn't read the instructions. They refused to drift. They just stand there shoulder to shoulder and graze. I managed to get them split myself and called her in. She won't come in straight but arcs around to catch the whole flock. If I get mad at her it only makes it worse. I've tried just calling her to me and just praising because she comes in straight, letting the sheep go where they will. I've been told I need more sheep. I am slowly building up my flock but can't afford to rush out and buy a flock right now. (Need better shelter first, but need trees taken down....etc, etc, etc....) Maybe some dogs just never get it? Or some handlers?????

:confused:

Thanks,

Lil

Lil-

I have a few questions for you that might help me think through your situation. How many sheep do you have and how long have you had the same ones? How old is your dog? And, what level of trialing were you doing before you got frustrated with the shed training?

Thanks for filling in this info.

Lori

Guest Ragtimelil

I only have 5 at the moment, and I've had some for several years. (Maybe I should mix the goats in...they'd definately shed...lol)

I have been running her in open for several years. Every now and then she actually manages to do a shed my accident. Other times the sheep just run in circles around me.....

Guest Ragtimelil

oops, was supposed to be "by accident." And she's 9 now. She's a very keen dog though. Likes to move them at a dead run, if I don't slow her down.

I'm not expecting perfection, but as long as she's so close to actually doing a shed, we might as well learn all we can so the next one coming along will have an easier time of it.

Thanks,

L

Lil-

Thanks for the extra information. Here are my thoughts-

Five sheep (especially if you've owned them for awhile and they are not prone to split) combined with an older dog who appears to be confused about the concept of coming in and holding a split doesn't sound like a good recipe for success. I think shedding is a task where success in the training process is invaluable in getting the dog to understand and enjoy the job. If you have a nearly impossible set up, your dog may not be having enough success to ever understand when she's done it right. Even a few new sheep would help. They would be inclined to

split from the old group for quite awhile.

If your dog is already an open dog and is keen as you describe, I guess I would work on just re-teaching her to come straight to you, with enthusiam, when you call her. If she won't come through your small group of sheep when YOU make the hole, try standing just at end of the group of sheep (preferable the way most of the heads are facing) and call her straight to you (stay positive, don't get mad if it takes a bit to relearn coming straight to you ), then turn her on the whole packet and let her drive them all away. Set this up just like you would at a real shed, positioning your body to the side, facing the group she'll be taking ( which in this case will be the whole group). While she's not doing a split, at least she patterning the process of coming straight to you and taking control of a group. That may be the best you can do with your current situation. If she can regain her enthusiam for coming in straight, you'll have a better shot at getting a shed when you are working away from home or at a trial when the sheep are easier to separate.

Hope this helps a little.

Guest Ragtimelil

That is a great suggestion! I'll definately try it. But these sheep do split on their own at times. I've had problems with young dogs being able to keep them together....figures, huh? I am looking at getting a couple of new ones this fall too. I have worked the angora goats with the sheep too. They tend to be more sheep-like than the dairy goats.