BC Boards

O/T How Much Should An Aussie Weigh?

I am "dog-sitting" this weekend for some neighbors who have a 2 year old pb Australian Sheperd. Lupine (aka "Lulu") is a beautiful red and white dog. Unfortunately, she is also FAT! :eek: Poor thing wheezes when she runs and plays with Allie.

She is quite a big dog, size-wise -- much bigger than the Aussies owned by a couple of my family members. I tried to pick her up and can't! I'm sure she weighs at least 90 - 100 lbs. How much should an Aussie weigh?

I asked my neighbors how much they are feeding her each day and they told me that they just "fill the bowl a couple of times a day (which is about 3 - 4 cups!)" If I scaled her back to 1 or 1 1/2 cups twice a day, do you think that would be too little? (Aside from the fact that she thinks I'm starving her. :rolleyes: )

The neighbors are great people, but really don't have the time nor the inclinations for an active dog.

Depends on the Aussie. Like border collies, they can vary greatly in size and weight.

You can cut back her food, but two days of less food is not going to make any difference at all. You can tell the neighbors she is overweight and having trouble playing and running and discuss with them the merits of feeding her less and exercising her more, but ultimately its their dog. Most people have no idea their dogs are fat. People frequently comment on how thin mine are, because their dogs are fat (mine are fine).

Except for Mr. Woo. I made the Woo fat :rolleyes: I am still trying to figure out how much to feed the little bugger.

RDM

Yeah, I know 3 or 4 days of correct feeding won't make a difference. But this is the first time I've had a chance to actually see how much and what they feed her, so I'm trying to get a handle on what Lulu should actually weigh.

The neighbors freely admit that Lulu is overweight and that they need to exercise her more. I know that they feed her without giving it much thought and that if I can tactfully suggest an amount to feed (the food they use is made by Iams and is at least not the cheapest one around) they will willingly continue that regime.

Mr. Snappy, I can't picture Woo as fat -- maybe only in comparison to the others.

Well, no one can tell you how much she SHOULD weigh as none of us have seen her. If I tell you Tweed weighs 42 lbs, it probably means nothing to you. He does weigh that. RD weighs 48lbs and Piper weighs 28. Woo weighs a billion pounds! He has lost his waist. His rations have been reduced. I have realized that even if he runs as much as Piper, he is not burning as much energy because he is pretty chilled out. I think he has gained almost 5 lbs since I got him. I am mortified!

All you can really do is suggest that they should be able to easily feel her ribs, see a definition between her hips and waist and not be able to feel fat pockets around her neck, shoulders etc. She should maybe weight 45 lbs or maybe 65 lbs - who knows? I would venture that 90 - 100 is way too much of course. But we adopted out a purebred BC that checks in at 74lbs at a perfect weight. He's enormously tall and BUILT. So who can say?

Edited to add: with respect to amounts being fed, think about this keeping my dogs' weights in mind. Piper at 28lbs eats a little more than Tweed at 42lbs because he gains weight if he eats more. Red Dog eats almost twice as much as Piper despite being half as active as she is, otherwise he drops weight. Woo, I think, needs to eat just slightly over half of what Piper eats to maintain his sexy metrosexual figure, even though he ideally only weighs 6 lbs less than she does.

My BFs dogs are similar heights, but Jack has to eat almost twice as much as Hayden to keep weight on, and Hayden is INCREDUBLY active and very muscley whereas Jack is rangy and wire thin - they are the same age. There is no real forumla for this.

RDM

RDM

This lovely (but zaftig) gal is Lulu!

Smile Lulu!

Lulu1.jpg

Side view (sorry about the exposure -- too much sun).

Lulu3.jpg

Allie and Lulu (Allie weighs 30 lbs. and is around 18 inches tall)

AllieLulu1.jpg

AllieLulu2.jpg

Lulu is very rough-coated, but most of what you see is pudge. :rolleyes: She gets very little exercise, unfortunately, although her family is very active themselves.

Thanks for your feedback, Mr. Snappy. I have never had a dog with a weight issue before (the only one in my house who is overweight is me. ) I really like Lulu and hate to see her wheezing and puffing around her backyard.

I had somebody just yesterday tell me "man, give this dog some food! You should never be able to feel their ribs" as though she new everything about dogs (and I know that she doesn't). People just have no idea what a dog should look/feel like.

I agree that only a couple days won't do anything - and that EVERY dog is different. (as RDM just explained :D ) Rather then just SAYING what a dog should be, I would have websites (or printed pages), books and things like that ready to show them and prove that you DO know what you are saying and it is TRUE! Maybe even suggest some good diet foods if you want, ask them to talk to their vet next time they are there. etc. Give them a plan of action rather then just saying "your dog is fat" because they might not know what to do.

Hopefully these people just don't know, and when they have the chance to get educated - they will take it. The only problem you would have is if they are sure that their dog is the correct weight. And if that is the case, there isn't much you can do. :rolleyes:

Good luck. Oh, and 100 pounds IS A LOT for an Aussie! Most I have seen are around 35-50. And the picture with the skinny pup and the fat pup together look really strange! :D

She looks about the same size as a male we had in class with us. He weighed in at 87 pounds. He was much bigger than other AS that I have seen.

Lulu does look like she could stand to lose a few pounds. If she's like that now what will she be like when she gets older and slows done even more? :eek:

Bailey is supposed to be PB Aussie. She weighs about 30lbs. and is approx. 18 inches tall.

DSC01202.jpg

You can feel her ribs and her backbone, but she is not skinny by any means. She is all muscle. I don't think there is an ounce of fat on this little dog.

Just like Kat's Dog said, people that don't anything about dogs would say that she is TOO skinny.

http://www.billfoundation.org/news/overweight_dogs.html

This website has a good visual for your neighbors to see what is truly overweight and what is not.

Good luck!

If it helps any, our intact male 10 month old Aussie is 22" high and weighs 59 lb. He was at the vet for a check up 2 weeks ago, and she said his weight was appropriate for his size. He also seems to meet the "fit not fat" criteria I have seen in various sources. He eats about 1.5 to 2 cups of kibble a day, about half what the dog food bag recommends!

He is considered unusually large for an Aussie, but not out of the normal range.

--Michael

Thanks, everyone! Based on what I was told by her family, she has been getting at least 6 cups of food a day :eek: ! I still think she is in the 90 lb. range (the pictures make her look slimmer), but today she has played ball with Allie & me, romped with Allie for a couple of hours and when I just went back over to her house to give her dinner (a modest 1 1/2 cup), she was actually more interested in being petted and having the ball thrown for her than the food.

I have great hopes that Lulu will get more healthy!

A suggestion I have heard for helping a dog to loose weight is to mix canned pumpkin with their regular dog food, at a ratio of up to 1/3 dog food to 2/3 pumpkin. Use the plain canned 100% pumpkin, not the kind already mixed with sugar and spices to be be used as pie filling. The pumpkin is supposed to taste good to dogs, and has bulk but little caloric value.

I haven't tried this as none of my dogs has a weight problem.

--Michael

Maybe you could phrase it to the family in an "economy" type of way...ie: "Wow 6 cups a day... you must be working just to feed her. Imagine what you could do with the 20 dollars a week you could save if you slimmed her down and fed her the appropriate amount. Not to mention the vet bills you will save yourself. Overweight animals tend to have way more health problems later on then healthy dogs"...

Maybe something that tugs at their pocket book could help them see the light. I find when you mention all the money people are allowing their dog to crap out it tends to make an impression. Also mentioning issues that overweight dogs tend to have and the cost of their treatment may be a good inducement to pay some attention.

If you do suggest any of it be armed with helpful advice on how to slim her down, the pumpkin one is a good start.

Sara

Our aussie is 22 inches tall and he's 50 lbs. I've seen lots who are about 60 as well and still fit and trim. Havent seen many over 60 that are still lean though. We had one come in at work who was 97 lbs!! Turned out he was hypothyroid but even lean weight I'd guess he'd be 65-70 because he was very tall.

Any way you could provide doggie 'daycare' for your neighbors? Just having a few good romps w/ your girl would def help increase her activity level and I'm sure Allie would love having a part-time playmate.

Update - I talked to the neighbors when they got back. They are willing to get a good brand of diet food for Lulu. They will "try" to exercise her more and I have committed to letting Allie romp with her several times a week. They do care about Lulu, but the weight issue is a problem they have had with all of their dogs. ( They didn't give an exact figure for her weight, but indicated it was more than 85 lbs.)

Allie loves Lulu -- the only downside is that Allie has to have a bath after every play session because Lulu slimes her so bad. She is not well socialized and needs more obedience training. Her only real method of play is to grab Allie by the neck and head and drag her around or chase her and then perform the slime technique. Allie really stinks after one of their sessions, not to mention slimy fur turning to stiff fur. :rolleyes: