BC Boards

Breeds you wouldn't have

In general, I don't like the smush-nosed breeds, except I like boxers and American Bulldogs.

In general, I don't like small dogs, except I like papillons, jrt and border terriers.

In general, I like hounds, but not bloodhounds or bassett hounds. LOVE sighthounds.

My two favorite breeds are border collies and rhodesian ridgebacks (I know, what a difference!).

But since my two dogs are mutts, I guess I have to say I love them best of all!

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think I could own any "yappy dog", anything with a "squished" nose, or any dog that was content just to hang around the house.

I could probably have any working type dog. I love the sharp, alert look of working GSDs and simular shepherd breeds. I'm not really a lab person, but could probably go for one that really needed a job to do. But BCs are still the best, IMO

Yeah... better not to spill at the sky, but those breeds are just too much to me.

By example, I don't like poodles either, with the awful voices and jumping and all that fluffy hair. But if I were living with a boyfriend and he would love to have one... Weird, that could be a reason to reconsider our relationship :confused: .

OK, another example :rolleyes: . If I had a daughter and she ask if she can have a poodle in home, it wouldn't be my choice, but I could live with that thing, but never with a pequinesse or a bulldog.

Originally posted by Borderco1:

I would only own a working bred dog.

Border collies (of course)

Working German shepherds (NOT german or american show lines)

Malinois (I lOVE them)

Dutch shepherd

I would love another sheltie one day

Ooooooo....someone on the same page as me :rolleyes:

I never want to be without a border collie, that's for sure. Other than Barra, over the years I have owned (or been owned by) a bc mix, a Malinois and a herd of Shelties. I've spent a great deal of time with Mals and Czech/DDR-bred GSDs, and can say I love all those breeds for their intensity, their natural look, and their intelligence- yes, even Shelties. The only time I could see myself straying from these breeds is if/when I get a Scottish Deerhound. They're everything a border collie isn't (other than Scottish, heh) but there is something so noble and utterly compelling about them.

I will probably never own a poodle, golden retriever, or combo thereof unless i find a exceptional one by chance.

I fostered a goldendoodle and he about drove me to drink -- even gave Maggie stress diarhea. That dog was too in your face and such an attention hog.

I would never own any kind of "lap dog", terrier, or any kind of dog that has to be taken to a groomer regularly. Interestingly, I have no interest in any of the other herding breeds, either. It HAS to be a Border Collie or something completely different!

If I couldn't have a Border Collie for some reason, I would want a field bred lab or else your run of the mill mutt.

We would only own a Border Collie. We presently have our 17 year old Jack Russell and although I wouldn't get another he is an exceptional dog. We got him as a 12 wk old pup. He has been wonderful with our grandchildren. Is a loving pet but has just recently slowed down on his hunt drive.

He is not a barker, never was a chewer and never has had accidents in the house. He has killed squirrels, skunks and ground hogs by shaking them to death. He never comes when called, if he doesn't want to.......and cost us $75. when he was picked up after running out the door and ending up in doggie jail.

No, we will never have another breed other than a Border Collie.....we are hooked.

Nothing for me but the two best breeds in the history of the universe :rolleyes: : working border collies and pit bulls. I love most terriers, actually.

The "will never have" list:

*Dogs with long coats. (My Grayling gets clipped.)

*Any dog too big for me to carry to the truck in case of emergency. (Yeah, I'm a worry wart.)

*Dogs so dinky they attract the attention of owls.

*Dogs with extreme physical handicaps: long (dachshund) backs, stubby (basset) legs, pushed-in (pug) snouts...

NOTE: All the dogs I'd never have? Are truly beautiful and wonderful, as long as they belong to other people.

Interesting that Jean Donaldson, who used to have border collies, now has an rescued chow ohwell.gif [shakes head in disbelief]

I'll never say "never". If an ugly pug-nosed, yappy little devil appeared on my doorstep - and especially if Fergie wanted it to come in - I'd go with her decision.

If this were post-Ferg, I'd probably try to find it another home. But I sure wouldn't turn it over to the pound. I'd figure it came to me for a reason.

There are sure dogs I wouldn't pick if I had the chance to pick. But if a dog picked me - or if I inherited my brother's huskies or my son's rotties - I'd realize that their love for these dogs means there's a reason I should love them. Especially if Fergie thought they were OK.

Dogs I wouldn't want:

1) labs

2) smoosh-faced breeds

3) anything smaller than 20 lbs full-grown

4) bully breeds

I grew up with St Bernards, and they were wonderful dogs...but I don't know if I could deal with all of the saliva and clumps of fur (although Sydney sheds a lot). The best dog we had in my childhood was a St Bernard/GSD mix, but based on my experiences with GSDs in the last couple of years, I don't know if I'd want a GSD or GSD mix.

I don't have a purebred BC (I don't think), but the breed appeals to me in every way. My plan is to always have at least one BC in my life. Okay, really I want a whole house full of them, but that's not gonna happen. heh.

I'm also drawn to Golden Retrievers, but only some of them (if they're really smart and focused, I really like them - I've met a few that are dumb and doofy though.)

~Kelly

I guess there's really no particular dog that I wouldn't own, being that all the ones that have been mentioned on the list so far, I have owned at one time or another...chihuahuas, poodles, pekingnese, peekapoos, pugs...the list goes on. This is my first time owning bigger dogs though and I'm really enjoying having them around.

I guess if I had to pick some breeds that I definitely wouldn't own it would be pit bulls, dobies and rotties...due to bad experiences in my childhood. Although I do think they are beautiful dogs.

Well come to think of it I don't particularly like Boston Terriers other than a select couple that I've come across in my lifetime that were actually decent dogs.

I just love animals period, no matter what kind it is. I have become quite fond of BC's and Aussie's though. When DH and I met, his family owned an Aussie (I never really knew anything about the breed before then) and she was the best thing since grits in my book.

Right now we kind of have a variety...2 BC x Aussie's, 1 Lhasa x Chihuahua and 1 pb Pug. I guess you could say we have a dog to fit just about every need we could possibly want at any given moment.

Never say never was something my grandma said all the time to me. Wow was she ever right! Watch out, everybody with nevers, that poor dog may just show up on your doorstep, cold, hungry, tired, and ever grateful!!

Everybody has their favorites, but there are great dogs in every breed. (and AWFUL dogs in every breed!)

Bulldogs-I don't think I could live with the breathing noises and constant drool.

St. Bernards-I'm terrified of them (Long story from when I worked at a vet clinic-short version: one tried to rip techs' faces off over a nail trim.)

Boston Terriers & anything bug-eyed.

I would never own:

1. Pit

2. Rottie

3. Maltese

4. Min Pin

5. Chow

6. Shiba Inu

7. Any breed that ends in the word setter.

8. Any breed that ends in the word spaniel.

Breeds I would never own again: (or atleast think good and hard about it and have someone smack me if I was thinking about it)

1. Australian Cattle Dog. I really like the breed but after having a Border Collie I just can not stand the bull headedness of the breed.

2. Labs Any color...... No thanks.

3. Small yappy mixed up dog by the name of Angus. I love him, but the Jack Russel, shelti and Dachshund in him makes him incredibly yappy, snappy with springs in his legs.

AGHHHHHHHHHHHH, I just wrote a reply and the darn thing went off into 'cyberspace' never to be seen again!

Anyway, here's what I wrote (more or less)

Personally, I wouldn't own an Irish Wolfhound (or Scottish for that matter). It has nothing to do with 'like or dislike' but I don't want to go through the agony of losing my best 'bud' at 6 or 7 or 8 years old. 15 or 16 years is bad enough.

As for 'I'll never own"......., I discovered that "Never" is a long time. What I decide is a good breed for me today, may be my biggest nightmare a few years from now :rolleyes: That being said, I can't see me without my BC's... :D

The only dogs I would have around the place are:

1)BC (of course)

2) Bouvioux (spelling?)

3) Great Pyrenese

4) Newfie

5) Catahoula

I won't say I would refuse a dog in need, but any small dog would not make it with me. I just can't like a small dog. My MIL has a minpin, and although I do not dislike her, I don't like her either. I also will never own another Chow cross. We had a male chow/beagle/lab and heconstantly fought with any other male, and sometimes a female. He was also the horniest dog you've ever seen. Anything female that moved, he thought was fair game.

Dianne

Briard

Tibetan Terrier

OES

Most mastiffs---neo--2 ft. lips and they drool

Dog de Bourdeux

Peke

bulldog

puli

any sort of doodle or poo dog---(not that they're actual breeds)

basset

doxy

clumber sp.

shar pei

otter hound

bloodhound

It's easier to say that I'm happy with my bc's, my CO's and would like a sound GSD again someday.

For me it's BCs or my OH's ACDs (only if they are his responsibility for training. I just get to pet and love them). Some of my favourite dogs are mixes. If I couldn't have a BC I'd just go to the pound and choose the very best one. One of my first dogs was a BC ACD cross. Damn she was smart. I guess I'd just have to say no to stupid dogs. But then even a dummy needs love, right?

muddy

Luisa:

*Dogs so dinky they attract the attention of owls.

You are CRACKING me up (especially since I HAVE in fact been called in on emergency to repair this injury, to a Yorkie. Evidently once the owl has her talons into the dog, she considers that this is HER Yorkie, and is disinclined to give it over to the owner, despite the diff in size between her and the guy whose dog it is. Rather a fisticuffs, I gather - if you can use that term when one of the combatants has no fists - or cuffs, for that matter.) :rolleyes:

In my line of work - as you will no doubt be astonished to know! :D - I've run across good examples and bad examples of practically everything, and many dogs about whom I might say, "I never thought I would be a fan of X breed, but this dog has made me change my mind." So I don't think I'd tend to say I'd NEVER own such-and-so breed (I'm more into what the particular dog in front of me has inside and how it would fit with me and my household) , but as a matter of practicality, the traits that would not work well in my CURRENT household would be:

* short-lived (probaby never be into that, unless I myself am on my last legs and plan to die with the dog for a joint funeral)

* drooly (not generally fond of this, plus toooo messy)

* giant-sized (partly the short lifespan, partly the giant amounts of food to shovel in and poop to shovel out, and partly just strict space constraints in my little house.)

* people or dog agressive

* so tiny it would be accidentally trompled to death by me or my thundering horde

I've known tons of great pitbulls, poodles, hounds, Bostons, pugs, terriers, etc etc etc - even some really fantastic Rotties and Chows and so on (one of my most amusing and heroic patients ever was a fat little Chow named Emily - what a character!) I've also known some very BAD examples of most breeds, ones which tried to murder me on sight or which were very unhealthy or had various behavioral issues or what have you. So far I've never met an entire breed that has not had at least one redeeming member (except in the rare cases where I've met only ONE member of that breed and it happened to be bad, but I don't feel that's necessarily a fair assessment of the breed). I will admit I've not seen every breed there is (for instance, no Neapolitan mastiffs or Presa Canarios.) I have only had one Ovcharka patient and it WAS bad (bad enough that the wife seriously hoped the dog would die under anesthesia at the time he was neutered) - but that is not necessarily a good representative of the breed, so I reserve judgement. However, as the dog was also drooly and EXTREMELY large (over 200# and not fat) I would have had to rule him out anyway, based on the size, slobber and cost constraints. :D

But for the time being - I'm sticking with the BCs, should I (God forbid) need a replacement dog.

I don't know that I'd specifically rule out anything. I grew up with a bossy Westie, and just figured that's how dogs were. (My mom did a great job training her, I might add.)

When I was looking for my first dog as a "grown up," I never imagined that a scary looking brindle GSD mix (probably some pitt in there) would win out. He's my baby, but I love the wide berth people give me when we run.

And then I never thought I'd end up with a Border Collie. (Lord only knows what she's mixed with, but I'd bet chow, actually.)

And then the dumbest, sweetest dog on the planet smoozled her way in through hubby's weak defenses. (Lab/setter)

So really, I don't know that there's anything I would go out of my way to avoid, given a good temperment and a good fit into the household. (Cat-approved, of course.)

I would not want to own any dog that is a huge insurance liability. Not all of those dogs are bad, but I can't afford to buy as large an insurance policy as would be needed. I will never own another female Border Collie. It is a good thing I love the one I have, as she is difficult to live with and only seems content when she is making the other dogs existance a living hell. My male Border Collies are great dogs and easy to live with.

The only other dogs I would not want are any of the hairless breeds.

I don't think there is such a thing as a bad breed, only those whose general characteristics do not appeal to my sense of aesthetics (I'm a fan of collies and hounds generally).

I am still a little afraid of Dobermanns, Rotts, Pitts and to some degree GSD's but i have met sweetie pies in all those breeds.

I'm not a fan of a great deal of dog mass, puddles of drool and the like, but I've known St Bernards that we sacrifice their life for me and large golden labs that would be willing to tear down a forest to find me a walking stick if I asked them to.

I have an instinctive dislike of fast moving dogs the size of large rats, the way I dislike fast moving venemous spiders. Only spiders don't yip. But I have met some puntable lap dogs who were as attentive and curious and sweet as they could be.

The only breed that I will never live with is a cocker spaniel. One tried to repeatedly kill me when I was a baby - my sister won him on a kids version of 'Name That Tune' - he was taken to the country to live on a farm we were told.

I would not own:

Akitas

American Pit Bulls (as distinguished from English Staffordshire Terriers)

Chihuahuas (bad experience with a former landlady who had one)

Jack Russell Terriers

On the opposite end, the more a breed looks like a wolf, the more I like it.

But then again, those are just my preferences...

I had a nightmare once that some voice from on high told me that I could either have Jack Russells for the rest of my life, or no dogs at all. I woke up in a cold sweat, unable to make a decision.

This means that I'll probably end up getting one dumped on me someday, but I dearly hope that does not happen.

Sorry to JRT fans. I am just not a terrier person. At all.

For me, no bully breeds. My apologies to bully breed owners but not a single thing about them appeals to me. This goes for rotties and GSDs as well.

The experience with the shi tzu taught me I am not a small dog person.

Tweed has taught me I am not an Aussie person.

And although I love how sighthounds LOOK, owning a basenji took care of that too.

RDM