BC Boards

Update!

Guest Carol Campion

Guest Carol Campion

Hi folks

I will be away at a trial in Canada for the next few days. I will answer any posts when I return.

I have been working on having my open bitch Liz slow HERSELF down on her fetches. I had been lax on properly taking care of this, relying on using commands to make her pace, but at trials like Bloomfield, where there was poor hearing and a 600 yard outrun, she couldn't hear to take commands so she pushed way too hard. Let you know how it goes. We can talk about how to do this when I get back.

Also, Glen, I am pretty thick skinned so your added thead on the OR issue really gave me an opportunity to cover the concept of trying too hard to teach something and what to do when it isn't working!

See ya!

Guest Pipedream Farm

Carol,

hope you had and enjoyable weekend and had success on the field.

I've been enjoying your writing; I can see it in my mind as I read it. You have put into writing some things I have felt but not totally recognized in my own work that you aptly put into words and made so obvious. It’s great getting info from many different sources, because sometimes it takes hearing it in a particular way for you to really get it.

Keep up the great work.

Guest Carol Campion

Gee Mark!

Thanks you for such a nice compliment.

It does me good to write this stuff out. I have to be really clear on my "pictures" to be able to write, so it makes me think things through.

Most of my training concepts have been learned first hand by watching and studying the dogs that come here for lessons, as well as my own dogs. I watch what they are responding to and when. I find if I break things down for the dogs, they get it easier. I have discovered that they learn a lot in "sequences" so you can reward one behavior with another that follows, for example—not allowing a fetch unless the flank is clean—that sort of thing.

These dogs are so facinating in how they learn!!