BC Boards

Capstar/Program Question

Just a quick question for those of you who use Program on a monthly basis to prevent fleas... I realize that Program makes it so the flea eggs do not develop... my question is, what do you do/use to keep the adult fleas from jumping on the dog when they are outside during flea season(on a farm for instance). I realize that there are sprays, but having a dog who runs the entire farm and pastures, makes the spray not a possibility. I hope this question makes sense.

That's the main reason I stopped using Program a few years ago. We switched to a topical treatment (These dogs are on K-9 Advantix; Oreo has been on Frontline for a while.) That way the adults are taken care of. For Oreo it's really important because she's allergic, so we really can't have ANY fleas on her.

Hey y'all, I realize that this post hasn't been here for too long, but I am really hoping that some of you can give me some advice. I'd really appreciate it.

Natalie - thank you very much for the reply. After having terrible luck with the topical treatments this year, I got very excited when I read an archive post on here about Capstar and Program being used together. Unfortunately, we seem to be having a huge flea infestation this year and I am unable to keep the adult fleas from jumping on them after they have been outside. Last year, we didn't see a single flea on either of the dogs! It's strange how the years differ - I guess the weather probably has a lot to do with it.

I have spoken to friends in some more southern areas who have expressed concern about fleas developing resistance to the topicals. They just don't seem to "work" as well any more.

One person I know who is associated with a veterinary practice (NOT a vet) uses a double-sized dose (one size larger than usual) for her dogs when a problem occurs (and may use that size regularly, I don't know).

Perhaps your vet could give you some advice on this that would be "tailored" to your area? Best wishes!

Thanks Sue and Natalie.

Honestly, the Capstar/Program combination (and bombing the house) has worked, but then, after they've been outside, they've got more fleas on them. I don't know if it is safe to put something topical on them after I have already given them a monthly program pill. I'll have to see what I can find out.

I don't treat my dogs every month with Frontline but I do use it if I notice fleas on them. In the between time I use Frontline spray. I just mist their feet, legs and belly as we come in. (this is of course if I remember!) It's expensive in a spray but I've had the same bottle for going on two summers and I've only used about three doses per dog in that same time so it probably works out to about the same as monthly dosing.