BC Boards

Bandit never barks to let me know he needs water or to go out

Mine will whine and woof at me if she has to poop only...she doesn't let me know if she needs to pee...she just holds it. She also doesn't do anything if her water is empty.

My older family dog will get all excited and whiny if her water is empty. However, she doesn't give any signals that she needs to go outside, she just waits.

No. We tell Fergie when she will go out and go potty. It makes life much easier. And it's worked for about 11 years now.

Granted, I take her out and around the pond before breakfast. DH does the trip counter-clockwise after breakfast. I take her that direction before lunch. DH does another walk after lunch. Then one before dinner. Usually one after. And out in the yard (an acre of mostly woods) before bed. But we chose the timing.

We make sure her water bowl is full of clean water.

Quinn whines at me when he need to go out, but some dogs never do much in the way of signalling their needs. Then you need to rely on giving them enough opportunities.

I always leave water out for my dogs so I can't comment that part of the question.

Quinn will get antsy and woo at me for dinner sometimes

Mine whines until the sound gets under your skin when he realy needs to go outside. Also he whines when he's annoyed or bored :mad:

He's the biggest whiner!

If he's out of water, he will lick the bowl and move it around the kitchen, until someone notices. It's maybe been a max of 4-5 times when he ran out of water, we're always checking and filling his bowl.

Sara has always given me the "eye" if she needs to go out - believe me, when she stares at you, you notice it! During the last few months, she has started to need to go out @ 3-4 a.m. (old age) to potty and she comes and nudges me until I wake up. My other dogs go out on my schedule - they may whine if they have a tummy upset and need go out - and none of them get up for the middle of the night trip w/Sara!

Only Zeeke barks when he wants something. If it's his water bowl or his food bowl he's discovered that mom and dad REALLY hate it when he picks it up and drops it multiple times (stainless bowls, hardwood floors. Ow on the eardrums.)

Oreo always just sits and stares at you until you notice her. If it's her food she'll lay with her head in the food bowl, and sometimes she'll flip it a few times for effect - just to show that it's empty. (Luckily her bowls are plastic.)

Zoe will sit, stare, wiggle, and give little "wrrrrrrr!" whiny noises. Sometimes little yips, but that's pretty rare if she REALLY REALLY has to go out. Usually it's the whrrrrr sounds.

If it's his water bowl or his food bowl he's discovered that mom and dad REALLY hate it when he picks it up and drops it multiple times (stainless bowls, hardwood floors. Ow on the eardrums.)
hmmmm. That sounds like someone I know...

She does that with her food dish (because I won't ever giver her how much SHE wants) but she also just does it with any HARD, LOUD toy (bones, frisbees, anything woods, etc). She thinks its a hoot. :rolleyes: But, that is how she tells me "I need to go play with you right now!"

Dally lately has been. I changed some of the veggies in her food a couple days ago and it gave her the runs. SHe doesnt know when it's coming so as soon as she does she gets frantic (this is the early morning/really late night around 2:00, 4:00 and 6:00) and she leaps off the couch (been sleeping down here so I can get her out as soon as she needs to)runs over to me, sits poitely next to the couch and whines, if I dont hear her she does a few lil woof barks. "Good Girl! Do ya have to go Potty?" and she bolts for the door frantically.

When she doesnt have the runs she won't bark until she is frantic.

Kole on the other hand wont make ANY sound, no whine nothin, until he cant hold it anymore. He paces until he gets my attention. Back and forth between me and the door lol

My roomates dog is the silent type lol it's kinda funny. He just sits and stares at the door handle lol. Since my roomates room is right next to the door to go out back, sometimes her door covers the back door and Bowzer will sit behind it. lol You'll just see this huge long hound pup tail sticking out from behing the door. :rolleyes: Sometimes ya dont even notice lol

I get the stare as well. Now if I ingore the stare then I'll get a bark. Then I'll ask her if she needs to go "out" (head intstaly cocks on the word "out") Then I have fun with her and say "out" a few more times just to see the head cock till she figures out im messing with her and runs for the door.

Nobody ever asks for water though, I normally figure it out when I hear one of them licking the bottom of the empty bowl and their tags are clanging against the side.

Polly will get restless when she needs to go out and stare at me and DH--or putter back and forth between us until someone gets the message. What I love is "The Awakening"--when she is in her cute little round bed beside the fireplace and wakes up because she has to pee. She has this elaborate, melodramatic process that sometimes lasts 5 minutes. She rolls on her back in the bed, gives her "Elvis" sneer at one of her back paws and chews at it, waves her front paws in the air while she is on her back, wiggles back and forth until her bed is rocking, then finally does this big leap to her feet to announce that she is up and has to go!! She puts her front paws in her bowl and digs in it when she needs water--noisy but effective... Charlene

We keep Bo on somewhat of a schedule, but if he need to go we usually get the stare/pace/jump at the back door/come back and stare some more treatment. I swear if he had thumbs he would let himself out - when he jumps at the door he gets his paws on each side of the doorknob. The only time he gets frantic to go out is when DH gets home. Then he runs to the window, runs to the door, back and forth, whining - he's HOME - LET ME OUT NOW!!! We haven't tried to teach him to let us know about food or water - just always keep fresh water in the bowl.

Poppy is so picky about his water quality/temp,

that I pour his big stainless steel waterbowl out every time I go into the bathroom and then I give him fresh, cold water.

So his bowl never runs dry and he never has to ask...lol.

How's that for spoiled? :rolleyes:

Meg comes and touches me with her nose ever so lightly. If I don't respond she gives me the 'you don't love me' stare, and within a little while will start whinning and dropping a ball over and over. It is very hard for me to tell if this is just another call to "PLAY WITH ME NOW!!!!" or I need to go out.

With Kessie, I normally know when she needs to go. I don't know what it is, I just feel her stress (spending too much time with her? maybe ) and needing to go out is one of the most obvious reasons. But she'd try hard to get me to understand if she had to.

Once we were staying at Timmy's house while his owners were on holiday, and she had stolen a lot of his food, so she needed to poop in the middle of the night. She desperately tried to dig me out of bed, and I just dug myelf deeper under the covers, and I won :rolleyes: .

In the morning she was acting unusually submissive, and it turned out she had pooped on the balcony in despair...my bad .

Kyla runs back and forth when she needs to go out, but I don't have her so often, so I didn't pay attention last week and got a huuuge puddle as a reward :D . But at least she tries now.

Since I've always taken Riven out, she doesnt really know how to signal. I just know when she comes over and sits next to me, kind of pacing (more like a "pee dance a kid does") then, I know its time. I have water out all the time, if for some reason its empty, she goes and licks the empty bowl, that makes a different noise so I realize I need to give her more water.

If by chance I dont hear it, trust me, the stupid cat lets me know Im falling down on the job ASAP. lol

ETA: Riven also begins whinning within the first 5 minutes of a car trip if she has to go, sometimes its cause the window isnt down enough for her liking though lol... spoiled little girl lol