BC Boards

Barking help

Oh this certainly isn't a new issue, but it's getting very high on my list of irritating things.

So Zeeke's always been a barker. We're still working on training him. We know what to do, we just need to be more consistent.

The problem is that ZOE has picked it up from him and now sets HIM off. We finally get him under control and she starts sounding the alarm.

Thing is she doesn't actually outright bark very often. She will if she feels she has to get Zeeke's attention (pointing out to big brother that HE needs to take care of something), but even after I step in and get them away from the window... even if I put her in a down, or a sit, or spray them with water (works like a charm for Zeeke), she still sits there growling under her breath. And I can't get her to stop it! I grab her muzzle (lightly) and say firmly, "NO. STOP." every time she gives a "Grrrrr!" But she just keeps right on doing it. It's like I need to so something more to get my point across.... but she's a skittish dog so if you do TOO much she goes into shut-down mode and won't respond to anything at all - and next time she does the same darn thing again.

I really need to get her to stop with the muttering and growling because it's making it doubly hard to get his barking under control. (Because his bark is the one that could wake the entire neighborhood. If it was just her I probably wouldn't really care if she did it.)

(And yes, she is really into her terrible twos. She's finally an adult and mommy's not quite so important anymore. Mommy who?)

I have no advice to offer, but I certainly can relate to this:

she still sits there growling under her breath. And I can't get her to stop it! I grab her muzzle (lightly) and say firmly, "NO. STOP." every time she gives a "Grrrrr!" But she just keeps right on doing it.

Odin does the same thing . . . barely audible, but he'll keep doing it. Drives me nuts, I'm glad it doesn't happen often!