BC Boards

Steuart H. Ligon D.V.M.

With a heavy heart I am writing to tell of the death of our longtime friend Stu. He passed away early this morning after a long and brave fight against cancer. He will be remembered as one of the true lovers of our sport and our dogs. He was a keen competitor and was known as a handler that got the competition out of the tent.

Please think of his family during this hard time. They have asked that in lieu of flowers contributions be made to :

Humane Society/SPCA Nelson County

To Benefit Home Adoption Center

29 Stage Bridge Rd

Lovingston, VA 22949

Lena Bailey

3765 Findlay Gap Dr

Shipman, VA 22971

434-263-5550

Lena@nathhorst.com

I am very sorry to hear of his passing. Thank you for letting us know.

I didn't know Stu but only met him when I went to watch his wonderful Seclusival Sheepdog Trial several years ago. He was a very gracious host and put on a fabulous trial.

That'll do, Stu...

Oh, no. Not surprising, but still very saddening. Another great gone. Thank you for passing on the news, Lena.

Guest herbertholmes

I am sad to hear of Stu's passing. I will always remember his colorful sports coats at the trials, as well as his cool, very sensical response to adversity in all situations. One of the things I think alot of people overlook is Dr. Ligon's record of making the final day at the national finals. With the exception of Alasdair Macrae, I believe Stu ran on sunday at the finals more consecutive years than any other of our members in the history of the USBCHA. He was a good dog man. Herbert Holmes

I will always remember how positively Stu looked at things. I spent an entertaining afternoon in his and Barbara's fifth wheel in Oklahoma with them, tipping a bottle of champagne, having a tornado party. We could see the funnel clouds in the near distance, but were stuck in the mud, and had no way to get the dogs or rigs out, so we decided to make the best of it. Maybe not the brightest thing to do, but it was an example of his positive attitude. He will be missed. I am so glad I got to spend a couple of hours in his company last fall at the Seclusival trial. It had been years since I had last seen him, and it was great to talk to him again. Marilyn Terpstra

This is so sad. Stu is in a better place, but those of us who knew him will surely miss him here. The last time I saw him was also at Seclusival, when he very kindly met me at the clinic to examine Lark and Twist. He kept such a positive attitude, even in the face of adversity, and that's something we can all learn from (which would make a very nice legacy).

J.

I'm so sorry that Stu is gone.

I have such great memories of the old Seclusival trial. Stu was a wonderful host and always had time to listen. I remember the year he bought the huge tent with the dual purpose. It was home for the rig most of the time, but I think the main reason he bought it was to use as the handlers tent at the trial.

Besides being a tough competator and great dog handler, Stu was a truly good person.

Jeanne Weaver