BC Boards

AAC Nationals

Sooo.... I'm entertaining the idea of going to AAC Nationals in Toronto in August. Can anyone tell me what to expect as far as level of competition? Are the regions comparable as far as level of dog, specifically the BC/Yukon region compared to the others? Just wondering what to expect.

Also, for a US resident... would it be better to fly into Buffalo and drive across, or fly directly into Toronto? I'll obviously be flying with a dog (or maybe 2, depends on the answer to my above question. :rolleyes:) Just thinking about customs at the airport with the dogs compared to a normal border crossing, and also how easy would it be to rent a car in Canada as opposed to the US? oooh, maybe cheaper in Canada?

Is anyone here going? Either to compete or spectate?

-Laura & Wick & maybe Zoe too ;-)

You will find a wide range of dogs there - from those that just barely made their 300 points at their respective regionals to the more experienced handler/dogs. It's a lot of fun for most of us. SOME get waaaaayyy too serious about it. I wore my "Praise the Dog, Slap the Handler" shirt on the Sunday last year to get the point across :rolleyes: For 99% of us we have a great time, then there are the few that take this way to seriously and personally and show poor sportsmanship, but those are a very few.

I will be there - I have to run in the one day qualifier so I hope we don't have the 90degree temps and 100% humidity - I won't survive running two dogs for three days :D

No idea about your geography questions but big shout-out to Good Wick! 2nd in 22" Regular, with two firsts on Sunday - you guys rocked! Your standard run on Sunday was so sweet - you have no idea how many compliments I got. :rolleyes: Them: "Wow, Wick really cleaned up, didn's she?" Me: "Yes, she did." I mean, I could tell people there were two Wicks, but what fun would that be? And I still can't believe they ran us back-to-back!

Anyway, you guys were awesome, see you at the NW Regionals!

Kristi, I didn't think of it, but you could've stood in for us since I couldn't make the awards ceremony! That would've been perfect. :rolleyes: Did you go? Did anyone pick up my awards? I was really bummed to miss out on that, but as it was I got home around 11pm anyway; 1am would've been much much worse, especially having to work long hours today so I can drive 6 hours to Bend, OR this weekend for another trial. At least this one will be inside and cool!

And hey! You had some nice runs as well!

Shoot, you should have told me you were leaving and I would have. I will get one of the gals on the Island to bring them up to Canby. Do you want your individual run placements, or just the big ribbons?

And Wick totally could have stood in for Wick! Darn, all these good ideas come to us the day AFTER.

Well I had mentioned it to Karen Lau since I knew she was coming down to USDAA Regionals, but I don't know if she was able to. If you could check, that'd be great. I emailed the trial sec'y this morning to thank her for a great time and apologize for skipping the ceremony... I didn't want anyone to think I was playing the part of the rude American. ;-)

Oh we'll take everything. :-) I'm usually not a ribbon junkie (too much crap to dust anyway), but these are worth keeping. Oh, and Zoe's too. She won a class and came in 4th overall.

I'll ask Karen if she got them, and if not, I'll send a note to Bernadette to give them to Nikki. I'll make sure you get your placement ribbons too for both the girls. Heck, our 5th in Jumpers was the only ribbon Bad Wick got so we might have to frame it!

Great! Thanks!! I actually just got an email from Louise Prefontaine telling me to find out if Karen got them, so she's aware of the situation. I don't have Karen's email, so if you could email her, that'd be great! THANKS!!

I find it easier to cross the border in a car....that being said, it is still about 1 1/2 hours from Toronto (depending where the AAC nationals are) from Buffalo;

If you hold a valid drivers license in the US you can rent a car up here....no problem;

I only do herding so I can't comment on the level of agility folks but I know some of the common names.

Cynthia

OMG, the infamous MrSnappy was there and I didn't get to meet you? Or did I? I met so many new faces and super nice people, I can't remember them all. I was the one with the really loud barky BC that everyone kept asking if she was a Borderjack... lol. Silly flyball people. :rolleyes:

OMG, the infamous MrSnappy was there and I didn't get to meet you? Or did I? I met so many new faces and super nice people, I can't remember them all. I was the one with the really loud barky BC that everyone kept asking if she was a Borderjack... lol. Silly flyball people. :rolleyes:

I pointed out your Wick to several people because she looks a lot like Mia, whom we just adopted out. I was a few dogs ahead or behind you, depending on whether it was Saturday or Sunday. I was the (bright red) girl in the black tanktop running the SUPER EVIL dark red and white hell beast who had gone utterly deaf.

RDM

oh then I'm sure you heard Wicky... lol... she only really barks when warming up. I got a nice little sunburn as well, which is probably directly related to the fact I never remembered to put on sunscreen. oops. hahaha!!

And your Jumpers run on Sunday was lovely, Kristi! Excellent time as well.

Thank you. She is a fabulous Jumpers dog. I am still ticked that I screwed up on Saturday and caused a refusal (and subsequent outburst of barking). We had a smoking run going - that one would have been a really really good time (mutter mutter mutter....).

At least Tweird got the gamble. Wick taking a jump over a tunnel? Only would happen during a gamble (insert more grumbling here).

Sure was a fun Regionals though! Huge props to the Nanaimo organizers - what a great job!

Sure was a fun Regionals though! Huge props to the Nanaimo organizers - what a great job!

Agreed! I sent them a thank you note already. I had a great time for my first time at an AAC regional. The upcoming USDAA Regional will be nowhere near as laid back, for sure!!

My fave part was the breakfast on site! I'm always running late, so never have time to stop for food (and never remember to bring anything). Having a nice cheap breakfast was great, and so were the wraps for lunch.

My fave part was the breakfast on site! I'm always running late, so never have time to stop for food (and never remember to bring anything). Having a nice cheap breakfast was great, and so were the wraps for lunch.

You clearly didn't have the poutine! Most Americans find it gross, but it was just fabulous. I probably shouldn't have had it before we ran, but it was totally worth it.

Karen didn't have a chance to get your ribbons, so send a note to Louise and ask her to give everything to Nikki. I'll shoot Nikki a note to let her know that she ir responsible for bringing the bling to Oregon.

Nikki Gurr? Is coming to which trial, Regionals? Coolio! Will send that email... thanks again.

And hell no, I didn't have the Poutine. Just looking at it makes me want to hurl. lol I did want to try a Nanaimo bar, but they were out on the Ferry. :-(