BC Boards

Advice for recall needed

Bindi has ZERO recall. She is always leashed but 2 days ago she snuck out of the yard twice (I didn't close the gate quick enough). It took 2 of us to coral her. Any suggestions, tricks or advice you can give me?

Thanks!

BTW: Bindi just turned 8 mos old on 5/30.

I like to work on recall by using a lot of reinforcement.

I'll take Dean out into our fenced yard (you could use a long line) and call him from a very short distance. When he comes, I give a treat - maybe even a jackpot. The treat must be of high value to compete with the allure of the great outdoors.

Then, and this is key - I release him to go do what he wants for a minute. This teaches him that coming when he's called doesn't always mean the fun is over.

I'll repeat that several times and then play a game of ball with him or something.

If your dog is in the habit of not coming when called, this might take awhile. You might start indoors and attach a new cue to the recall. I did this with Speedy once upon a time. His "bullet proof recall word" is "return". The important thing with that is to teach it solidly indoors and take it outside only once the dog knows it.

Two main ways to go about it, IMO.

This is more what I do with young pups:

I would start by just making coming to you fun. So for example, always have food in your pocket (really really yummy stuff) and go crazy making funny noises and talking in a happy voice and when she comes - PRAISE like crazy! Do that a lot. That is a good way to start a recall and what I like to do with little puppies. Then you can progress to a long line at the park. If she doesn't pay attention, pull on a long line for a second to get her started in the right direction. Keep progressing until with happy voices she pretty much always comes, then you can go and teach a more formal come.

With older dogs:

Just start in a quite room in your house, just you and her. Have her on leash (just a 6 ft is fine) and have lots of yummy cookies. Have her sit there, then take a big step back and immediately say "Come!" (or your command). She should just come because you have the food, but if not, a gentle tug on the leash. Lot of praise for coming and sitting in front of you. Keep doing that, big steps back and immediately calling her (you will have to try and beat her, because she may just stick right to your side!). Then (later) have a longer leash and (mind you, this works better if you have a stay, otherwise you might need someone to hold her back). Go farther away and call her, again, a tug on the leash if she doesn't come. You keep doing this for a long time, at parks, parking lots, random sidewalks, etc. With the help of another person, you can proof distractions (so for example, have a person sitting on the ground and she has to avoid the person and still come to you. The same with toys on the ground, and, when she is ready, things like hotdogs and hamburgers!). Keep doing this for pretty much as long as you live. :rolleyes:

Keep the long line on, never repeat the command, make sure she comes the first time you say, lots of praise always for coming when called, and don't progress to fast. And, have FUN! She will be more willing to do what you ask if it is always a blast!

Two things to add:

1. Buy this DVD and follow the instructions: Really Reliable Recall. IMHO, there is no substitute for seeing how to do this training right, so even though I'm not a heavy DVD user, this is one that I think is worth it's weight in gold (and cheaper than even a single private lesson).

2. You should be doing a couple dozen recalls every day. Not formal practice; just get a nice smelly bit of chicken in your hand, get Bindi's attention, and stuff the chicken in her mouth when she comes. Start this indoors, in a really small room (like the bathroom), where there is no chance she'll find something more interesting to do than come. Keep finding situations where you KNOW she will come, and reward her when she does. Do it dozens of times a day (did I already say that?). Don't worry about testing her recall in more difficult situations -- just keep building a history of randomly producting a reward and giving it away "for free" when she comes to you in a situation where you KNOW she will. Over time, you will find that the number of situations where you KNOW she will come will increase. Just don't try to push it. A few dozen recalls a day means 1000 successful recalls in a month. Think about it. Who cares if they were "easy"? That's the kind of reinforcement history that will eventually get you where you want to be. In the meantime, keep using a leash outside the house, as you've been doing.

We all want our dogs to have perfect recalls, but our pride gets in the way of training it. Don't worry about the situations where your recall doesn't work yet. Don't worry about how to convince the dog to come when its not inclined to. Just find situations where you KNOW the dog will come, and reward. Do it over and over and over. This works.

And in the meantime rely on leashes and fences everywhere else.

Hmmmm. You started by saying that Bindi has ZERO recall, didn't you? But that's not true, is it? I bet you can recall her from 6 inches away, at least if she's on a leash. Wherever you have to start, that's where you start. Nobody has ZERO recall. Inevitably there will be a situation constrained enough, and rewards good enough, that Bindi's recall will be 100%. Practice that. I guarantee it will make you feel great about your progress with your dog :rolleyes:

Another vote for Really Reliable Recall. I believe it says somewhere on the cover, "Now no one has a good excuse!" or something to that effect!! It's very helpful and well worth the money.

All great advise. Another thing that helps is to take a few quick steps backwards as you are calling her, for some reason they come to you if you are moving away, and move away if you move toward them. And set it up so she can't blow you off. We kept Hoku on a long line on walks till he was maybe 18 months, but we were walking on our neighbours ranch, and there was no way I could let him even think about chasing cows. That equals a dead dog in our area.

Just adding my 2 cents to the great advice already given...

Kipp is currently getting 1/2 - 3/4 of his meals as training rewards. When I go out with him, I clip on the treat pouch and he earns his kibble. He is food motivated anyway, but having to earn his food just kicks his food motivation up a couple notches. We do lots of recalls, and it really helps! So along with using yummy treats, I'd start having Bindi work for her regular food as well.

For an emergency recall that never fails- Gives a LOT of different varied treats thru out the day. Say "Treats", "Cookies", or "yum yums" (whatever) and wait a second, then treat. When outside, if Bindi is running away, you can yell your magic word, and she'll come runnining.

Also, to catch her easier when she runs outside, use that magical BC power- the urge to herd. Capture her attention, and run the opposite direction while yelling you're magic recall. It works like a charm. Running AFTER them wants them to run away, thinking it's a game of chase.

Very good info from everyone.

I'll just add what worked for Lizzie and I, is that every time they come, give a treat of some kind. And ALWAYS make coming to you fun, never give your dog a bath after calling him to you or clip his nails, clean ears, or do any form of punishment.

And practice! Practice everyday, every walk...ect. Something else that helped us greatly is doing very simple recalls from her on one side of the house and me on the other and just calling her then rewarding her with lots of treats and praise. No distractions execpt normal in-the-house-stuff. Worked wonders for her recall.

Also, never let him offleash (in an unfenced area) that you can't reneinforce the recall.

Good Luck!

I always advise to work solely on a long line or a lunge line that is used for horses. Keep your terms and commands simple and be inviting with your body language. Crouch down with your arms wide spread to make you appear more welcoming to your pup and use a recall word with the dogs name preceding it, i.e: "Bindi Come". Use treats or toys (whatever your pup is into), and do recalls at every available opportunity that you can. When she is 100% solid on the lunge line including being in the presence of distractions, then its time to go back to square one without th leash and build your way upwards working in the yard and progressing to parks where she can be let off leash. If she disobeys at any time and you finally catch her, swallow your frustration and reward her for coming. Repeat and reinforce and you will get a reliable recall. Also if you have help at home you can do ricochet recalls with 1 person at one end of the room/yard and you at the other and call the dog back and forward. Its a great game for them and really helps to improve recall performance.

Another vote for the DVD, Really Reliable Recall. The creator does it with sighthounds - if THEY can be taught, it should be a no-brainer with a border collie! 8 months is that "pushy" age - "ha ha! I got away and you can't catch me!" While I'm sure you were frantic the entire time....dog probably thought it was a great game.

One of the things the DVD emphasizes is: REALLY REALLY yummy treats, lots of 'em, and lots of practice. Chicken, cheese, hot dogs (shudder), anything out of the ordinary. Given a choice of working for dry crackers or chocolate or steak, which would YOU choose!

Also, 8 months isn't old enough that you should have a problem...but if you've been working on a recall that has NOT worked at all...consider changing your word. "Bread!" might work for a dobe! <VBG> but could be potentially embarassing for a BC. If you've used "come" consider changing that to "here." or vice versa. Or anything without the "I got away with it before" association. Heck you could say "magnet" or "heel" or "loveydovey" and teach it to be the ultimate in rewardable behavior.

Having had issues with this in the past...and hopefully NOT having them with my new pup....good luck to ya!

diane

• 2 weeks later...

Great advice everyone - thanks!

Alaska - you're right. She does have a tiny bit of recall and it's always food related. We're still working on it.

OT: The little turd bit my ass tonight while I was mowing her yard. She apparently thinks the lawn mower with me attached needs herding. I didn't appreciate that very much - especially since I was making her space a little nicer. :rolleyes:

Well this is weird! I also have a Bindi, 10months old, and her recall is rotten too! I keep a long line on her when we work geese and she is getting better. She will have a bad day if she's really excited, but eventually gives in.Her mother was a world class runner......in the other direction, so I guess genes will out! Joan

Running the other way worked for me. Also calling the other dog's name helped. The clicker method worked on my girl too; got her attention with the noise. We use the long line for training and you can always step on the end if they aren't listening. Repeat the drills over and over and over many times a day and it finally sinks in. N