BC Boards

Made big mistake and feel stupid

I guess there are those who would say I'm stupid all the time...heh...but anyway, here's what happened.

Last year I sent my young dog out to be started. After three months (in August), I went to pick her up. I took some photos and video of her working while the trainer showed me what skills my girl had learned. I was thrilled, as when I had dropped the dog off, I could hardly get her to go around the sheep to the left, and she was still enthusiastically diving in and gripping.

Not long after, I put the video clip on my dog's webpage. I also posted it here. Yesterday I received a phone call from the trainer, who said (paraphrasing), "Hey, I found out this weekend at a trial that you posted a video of me on the internet. I really wish you'd asked me first."

She did not say it unkindly, but I immediately felt like a complete and total jerk. I am very, VERY sensitive to this, both because I'm a very shy and private person myself, and also because a small but almost daily part of my job deals with identity theft. (Not that people will neccessarily steal my identity from a photo, but still, I don't like the idea of my pictures floating around the internet.) I always ask friends for permission to post their photos...I don't even have any photos of myself on my website...I think I may have posted one or two photos of myself here, and that's it. I don't know why I didn't ask for the trainer's permission to post the video. I'm sure I had intended to, but apparently I never did. Maybe I was just too excited about my dog having made good progress. I really don't know what the heck happened, but anyway, I screwed up, and it was honestly a mistake; unfortunately a big mistake.

Of course I immediately apologized and said I would take down the video, which she declined, but I still feel terrible. I really did not mean use this without her agreement. Is there anything else I can or should do to restore her confidence/trust in me (well, as much as she had developed in me as a dog training client), or at least for the sake of courtesy? Would it be appropriate to send a little card or something? Or should I just drop it and move on?

Thanks,

I really don't know what the heck happened, but anyway, I screwed up, and it was honestly a mistake; unfortunately a big mistake.
I fail to see that this is so catastropic. You've apologized for neglecting to ask her permission, so I would leave it at that. If writing a note will help you feel better, do so, then drop it and move on.

I agree. Grovel in the note (emphasize the fact that you are a novice and was just SO excited about your dog's progress with her), then she will probably good naturedly tell you to please let it alone. If she stays huffy, then probably you wouldn't want to work with someone that touchy anyway.

Thank you very much for all your input. I feel a bit better now. Yes, I was very upset at myself, and I think Linda summed it up well.

I'll give it another day or two and see how I feel, and if a note or card feels "right" at that point, then I will send one. If I feel a bit better with a little more time, I'll let a sleeping dog lie.

Again, thank you!