BC Boards

Ollie the Collie - photos and a question

We've had little 4-month-old Ollie for a week now...and he's a wonderful dog. I got some good advice from folks on this board regarding potty training, and we're at 99.9% with him now...he even rings the bell on the back door to go out! My wife and I had a great BC mix last, Maggie, who we lost to kidney disease at age 3...after being with her only a year and a half. It was hard to imagine another dog after nursing her for the last 6 months, but Ollie wouldn't let us go home from the Humane Society without him...and well, we were there looking! Anyway, Ollie seems to be all BC...catching on really quick...and also learning quickly how to con his parents.

So, my question...and then the photos! He's taken to digging under our rhodies and chewing on them...which we're not real excited about due to the potential lethality of rhododendron leaves. ? When he's got this in his mind, he won't listen to commands at all. He's run under there during frisbee-chasing sessions, and then won't come out. We take him out on leash now, and when we won't let him head that way, he either just sits and won't follow, or he rolls over on his back and tries looking all cute. He's doing so well with his focus and response to the few commands were working on now...but it's all out the window when he decides he wants to go dig. Stubborn dog, or owner who needs to make some changes? I think I know the answer to that :rolleyes: so, the question is, what changes? (We're starting beginning obedience in a month)

Any input is appreciated!

Now the photos:

Ollie the Collie

2007_0525Ollie0111.jpg

Ready for anything

2007_0525Ollie0107.jpg

Dog Heaven (didn't last long :D

Puppyheaven.jpg

Friends...

Olliewithhisbabywolf.jpg

What a cutie, I love his eyes.

I am not sure about the digging, mine try to dig too. I put chicken wire, flat on the ground in the places where Roxie likes to dig and covered with dirt. She does not dig there anymore. I also don't let her outside alone, but it sounds like you are supervising him.

Hope others have more advice for you.

Well, we tried a few things. Bought every "no dig" formula that the catalogs and petsmart had. I put it down in and around my flowers, and the middle of the yard (big hole), and they teamed up and proceeded to EAT the dirt. Not just dig. So, I tried my redneck-husbands idea. And believe it or not, it actually worked. Cayanne pepper. Sam's or Costco size quantity. Don't try chilli pepper, they like that too. (one bonus is it keeps the ants away too!) Just sprinkle where ever you don't want them to dig. I ended up doing the entire perimeter of my fenced yard, and flower areas. Not to mention the craters that somehow appeared before pepper. Stopped them from eating the carpet off my stairs too. Wierd dogs. Both rescues, who knows what happened in their past.

I had a problem with them both eating my tree (a burning bush I think.... red leaves, pink flowers in spring...) They actually pruned it down to the ground. I ended up getting a puppy play yard - wire kind - took the pin out of it so that it can be put up just like a fence, and fenced off my tree. (8 panels, 2 feet wide each - can cover or fence off a good area, not permanently either) Looks odd, but effective. My tree is happy again! Still gotta move the hostas out of the dog area, not that they are digging them up, but they have acquired a taste for the leaves. Doesn't do well with the tummies. ( I actually found the play yards cheapest on EBAY.) I can look up the exact site/store if you'd like. PM me if needed.

Good luck!

my stinker also digs on occasion--my guess is that she detects something underground...either the sprinkler system humming away or critters. Lately she is digging in my dirt / compost pile which is just fine because I actually only compost old soil at the moment. Burrying poop in the "no dig" places works well for me. For bushes, I protect them with a barrier. The garden has hot wire around it--relatively cheap and not that difficult to setup and once they come to respect the wire, I've found that string gets the same respect.

Welcome to the boards. Ollie is a cool looking BC.

I would try Rescue Nut's idea. I have friends tha thave tried that and it worked for them too. I'm lucky that mine doesn't dog very much (just enough so I have to fill them in) but if I ever have one that does I'm going that way. Good luck.