BC Boards

Taz

HHorn

My part time boss, Mike bought a purebred Rottweiler puppy a few months ago. I had shared the rottie rescue groups and even a few cattledogs that were up for adoption since he had one growing up, but he thought it would be a safer bet with purebred. He had contacted a breeder, and ended up buying Taz at a Pet store. He was cute! My part time boss is a former linebacker, big ol' dude that isn't above crawling around on the floor chasing a puppy, and blowing raspberries on the puppys pudgey little belly. Taz would run off with papers as I tried to file, was a fun little guy. Mike works out of his house, so Taz got to hang out with his daddy all day and had a good life.

So Mike was traveling out of town and had Taz kennelled at his vet. Taz played, and had a great time all weekend! Mike was picking him up on Monday and the kennel staff were taking him out of the playyard into the office to bath him and trim his muddy little nails before going home. While he was walking inside he fell over and died. Taz was only about 5 months old. They did the autopsy and he had a congenital heart defect that caused his heart to quit. It is just so sad, the breeder of the dog has been red flagged and cannot sell to that store again, I hope she checks her dogs to make sure she isn't knowingly breeding dogs with short expiration dates. he was such a sweet dog, and I really am going to miss him.

Given that the breeder was selling to pet stores, it's highly unlikely she gives a crap about the quality or fates of her puppies.

A very sad story illustrating one reason why owners should never buy from pet stores.

Given that the breeder was selling to pet stores, it's highly unlikely she gives a crap about the quality or fates of her puppies.

A very sad story illustrating one reason why owners should never buy from pet stores.

I couldnt agree more, I couldn't believe he had gone to petco to get a dog, but I couldn't hold it against the puppy. I tried to get him to go the rescue route, or at least a decent breeder but guess he couldn't wait. (Grrrrrrrrrr, shakes head)

Don't blame yourself- you can't test for everything. You can only do your best to produce sound pups. After today, Usher will be going in to the vet and say "good-bye" to 2 dear friends of his. I'll make the appointment on Monday.

• 4 months later...
Guest SweetJordan
I couldnt agree more, I couldn't believe he had gone to petco to get a dog, but I couldn't hold it against the puppy. I tried to get him to go the rescue route, or at least a decent breeder but guess he couldn't wait. (Grrrrrrrrrr, shakes head)

I know this was posted sometime ago. A very sad story. But Petco doesn't sell puppies. They have store adoption events in which they partner with shelters and rescues to help homeless animals find homes.